Marine Corps Raptors?

Marco

From this morning's AFA Daily Report:

Plan B: Procuring F-22s is a viable option for the Marine Corps in place of acquiring the F-35B strike fighter, according to one Marine Corps officer. Doing this "may seem like an extreme course of action, but it makes the most sense for the Marine Corps for several reasons," asserted Maj. Christopher Cannon, an operations analyst with Marine Corps Combat Development Command, in a September article in the Marine Corps Gazette, the service's professional journal. Cannon argues that the Marines could purchase F-22s for less than the F-35's current flyaway cost. Plus, F-22s would "cost less" to maintain than F–35Bs, he states, citing Air Force estimates of some $44,000 per flying hour for the F-22 and his own projection of up to $50,000 per flying hour for the F-35B. He says this would make the costs of restarting the F-22 manufacturing line worthwhile. Capability-wise, the F-22s "dwarfs the F–35," he states. Cannon's article discussed the F-22 option in the context of the two-year F-35B probation period that is intended to give the Marines time to overcome the aircraft's developmental issues or face F-35B cancellation

What say you?

I absolutely think we need to restart the line and procure more Raptors, but to the Marines for CAS? Complete waste. I know this is a big IF, but if what I've seen holds true for the F-35, that aircraft will be a lot better suited for the Marines than a Raptor (not to say either is a better choice over a Hog, upgraded hornets, etc). I'm with Beerman, get rid of this expensive problem called STOVL, but simply give the Marines the F-35A and call it good. Regardless, like Beerman said, it'll never happen.

The Marine Corps is saying exactly what the Air Force has been saying for the last 10 years. I say absolutely do it. Restart the line, buy the Marines 60 Raptors, and while you're at it buy the Air Force another 60.

STOVL does not get us any great combat capability, and although the Raptor is NOT designed to do CAS, it's probably not much worse than the F-35B. And 120 more Raptors for the United States military is definitely a good thing.

Too bad it will never happen.

STOVL offers us a myriad of combat capabilities (starting with the lack of 7,000 ft runways in the 3rd world); I won't even mention the uses of helicopters. However, I agree that the Raptor isn't designed for CAS, but, in the long run, re-opening the F-22 assembly line would be a net win for the US DoD

Edited by BQZip01

Guest CAVEMAN

The Marine Corps has no business meddling with anything F-22. They should go on a multi-buy contract with the US Navy for the Super Hornet. The logistics support and the ability to land on USS Carrier should not be ignored. And did we forget the price tag? The Marine Corps will spend their shlitz maintaining Raptors. Hell, one of those will probably outfit a whole Infantry Division with required gear.

Forgive my ignorance; is there an A/G mod of F-22 out there? I thought it was an air to air player only. And BQ, having been all over the third world, including present location, there are plenty of >7K runways. I've never seen STOL used, or been somewhere it was required. Anything is possile in the future, but cost exceeds benefit for that capability in my opinion.

Thanks, I didn't know that. Is that an internal payload or with external mounts? I recall seeing a picture of one with hard points. Thought it was a joke at the time. Any idea of how much they can carry or is that privledged info?

we were finalizing the F-22 oriented testing on these at Edwards when I was there in 2009

they're stored internally just like all of the other munitions it can carry

Edited by Dingle