What's wrong with the Air Force?

Catbox

Unfunded mandate. Someone forgot to coordinate that announcement correctly at the Air Staff to ensure the good idea was accompanied by actual personnel plus ups. CSS re start plan did not include any actual billets so essentially nothing but a good sound bite. I wish I hadn't spent 6 months in a job where I had to learn that...

Essentially, your CSS is just a repackaging of your UPC and secretary (if you have one) with new job descriptions.

How can we trust the Air Staff to get the big things right, if they can't even take care of the little things? Or does AF logic, like integrity, only work when it's convenient?

• Upvote 1

Unfunded mandate. Someone forgot to coordinate that announcement correctly at the Air Staff to ensure the good idea was accompanied by actual personnel plus ups. CSS re start plan did not include any actual billets so essentially nothing but a good sound bite. I wish I hadn't spent 6 months in a job where I had to learn that...

Essentially, your CSS is just a repackaging of your UPC and secretary (if you have one) with new job descriptions.

Exactly what happened with our squadron. They became "the CSS" but still have to go through the MPF to update personnel information because they "can't" have access to it.

Edited by LookieRookie

We have a new CSS comm type airman working in our squadron, it's taken her more than a month to get people folder access. She is pretty much useless.

Prob not her fault. As of last month the ESD had a backlog of 10K+ tickets for that sort of thing... on purpose. The CC decided that was where they would take the cut to work other tickets instead. Who knows what it's at now.

We've got folks where I'm at going through aircrew upgrade training that never have access to the folders in the training Sq's. Good luck mission planning. Hell, I don't have access to some folders.

Additionally, they're switching the AFSCs of those Amn.. AGAIN. From 3A, to 3D and, back to 3A. Now, word came down that the billets would be assigned to Sq's, but in reality you'll probably see them sucked up to the groups to work their stuff. So.. yea.

Oh, did you know you can submit your own ticket to the ESD now? Have fun with that.

Oh, did you know you can submit your own ticket to the ESD now? Have fun with that.

ESD Phone Numbers (All three numbers connect to the same main line)

DSN: 945-2900 or DSN: 510-435-7337 or Comm: 210-925-2900

ESD Phone Tree

1: Unclassified Request

1: User, Organizational, and, Group accounts

2: Software/Workstation/Printer problems

3: Mobile devices (Government Blackberry/Laptop)

4: Network and Sharepoint access

5: E-mail problems

6: Everything else

2: Classified Request

3: Installation Comm Personnel Only

4: Medical Systems (MESD)

9: Commanders ONLY (Tier 1 & 2 users)

The MDG gets a separate team for "medical" systems problems, but it includes support for normal shit like printers, network access, e-mail, etc., so stuff it gets routed and fixed pretty fast.

Prob not her fault. As of last month the ESD had a backlog of 10K+ tickets for that sort of thing... on purpose. The CC decided that was where they would take the cut to work other tickets instead. Who knows what it's at now.

We've got folks where I'm at going through aircrew upgrade training that never have access to the folders in the training Sq's. Good luck mission planning. Hell, I don't have access to some folders.

Additionally, they're switching the AFSCs of those Amn.. AGAIN. From 3A, to 3D and, back to 3A. Now, word came down that the billets would be assigned to Sq's, but in reality you'll probably see them sucked up to the groups to work their stuff. So.. yea.

So, why do we not use MS Security Groups? Then you can add a person to the group that already has folder access, email org account access, and proper SharePoint permissions...

Why are we still doing it the old and very hard way?

Yes, setting up security groups properly is an as slain, but once they're set up, you can actually share your SharePoint site with other organizations with about three mouse clicks and a few keystrokes.

ESD Phone Numbers (All three numbers connect to the same main line)

DSN: 945-2900 or DSN: 510-435-7337 or Comm: 210-925-2900

Stuff

My fault; I wasn't clear. You can fill out your own tickets online through the ESD portal. Go ahead and let me know which option is to allow access to an org box that a normal user would understand. I've been doing this job for over a decade and I was still confused given the myriad of options.

So, why do we not use MS Security Groups? Why are we still doing it the old and very hard way? Yes, setting up security groups properly is an as slain, but once they're set up, you can actually share your SharePoint site with other organizations with about three mouse clicks and a few keystrokes.

Why would you assume we wouldn't? We're getting ready to slay this beast where I'm at. However, the tools (WebDRA) that AFSPC/ESD/Whomever have left us require about 10 min to change permissions on a single folder doing security groups the right way. Lag, lag, lag.. timeout. Gotta restart the app, wait for it to register, rinse/repeat. We've started a swing shift to see if the lag improves during off hours.

Then we get into the possible foul ups since we've had (local) admin's for years assign personnel directly to folders that the local CS has to clean up..and then implement security groups, with the aforementioned crap tools. Make sure all the security groups are built correctly (hello IAOs), rip the individual users off the folders, and then add security groups. All the while hoping the tools located at another base don't lag/die, or the Domain Controllers don't lag/die.

How hard is that to do? We're still attempting to do it in just the test Sq (Comm) months later.

We've called around and most bases either are just letting the tickets stack up for their users, or are assigning the permissions to individuals...the old/hard way, which is now easier since the tools are crap. Oh.. and the other option is some bases (ex. Beale) are using other bases (ex. Edwards) admin tools since their lag is lower.

Why? Who knows, certainly not the ESD or higher level admins.

You guys want to talk about leaders having no idea what's going on at base level? Talk to your Comm. Sq CC or his/her Ops Flt CC and the challenges they're attempting to overcome. We're getting hammered for "poor metrics"...which the ESD can't/won't explain to us.

Last grenade - AFSPC is starting to ask that all IAO's be DoD 8570 certified (Sec+, Net+, etc) to hold that additional duty. I have Lt Col's that are IAOs due to manning/flying schedules. This is the same training my Amn are required to graduate tech school and be awarded their 3 level. :pissed:

Edited by 17D_guy

Now, word came down that the billets would be assigned to Sq's, but in reality you'll probably see them sucked up to the groups to work their stuff.

Already happened here. We have two 3Ds assigned to our sq but the group owns them. We even write their EPRs but they don't do any work for us.

What's the point of the CFP? I'm an IAO in my squadron and now I'm the guy that has to maintain DD Form 2587's, provision/de-provision/move user accounts when they PCS in/PCS out, and fill out Remedy tickets online. Last I checked no 3D briefed with my students, instructed on my sorties, filled out my TAPR's. This shit needs to go back to the CFP. When Comm created the IAO that was a way for them to dole out the shitty jobs they don't want to do.

Already happened here. We have two 3Ds assigned to our sq but the group owns them. We even write their EPRs but they don't do any work for us.

That's something that the Sq/CC needs to address with the OG Superintendent and/or OG/CC.

What's the point of the CFP? I'm an IAO in my squadron and now I'm the guy that has to maintain DD Form 2587's, provision/de-provision/move user accounts when they PCS in/PCS out, and fill out Remedy tickets online. Last I checked no 3D briefed with my students, instructed on my sorties, filled out my TAPR's. This shit needs to go back to the CFP. When Comm created the IAO that was a way for them to dole out the shitty jobs they don't want to do.

Exactly. However, "Comm." (as in your local Sq) did not create the current IAO position. Before what it's become now, it was a very useful additional duty to have in every Sq on base. You guys are now abused, and I apologize (for what it's worth) for the hell it's causing.

We're fighting the certification requirements, and ACC A6 is aware of it as well.

A couple of 3's would fix it quick.

Not the 3D's fault and wouldn't fix the problem. Probably have some shoe E9 down their quickly.

BREAK

Someone bitch about something else, I'm tired of posting the awfulness that is the new AF Cyber as I'm writing a Master's paper on a Friday night.

Edited by 17D_guy

Someone bitch about something else, I'm tired of posting the awfulness that is the new AF Cyber as I'm writing a Master's paper on a Friday night.

Do you think it's stupid if you are caught sending unencrypted e-mails with PII then your account will be locked and your O-6 has to get involved? Because what if you are sending PII to another .mil account and the encryption doesn't work?

Do you think it's stupid if you are caught sending unencrypted e-mails with PII then your account will be locked and your O-6 has to get involved? Because what if you are sending PII to another .mil account and the encryption doesn't work?

Yeah like a top-3/cc/etc distro list that can't receive encrypted emails...fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's stupid that I'm allowed to print out PII (like, say, a recall roster), and enter everyone's phone numbers into my personal cell phone from the paper...but I can't email the recall roster to my personal email address.

• Upvote 2

I finished my paper and mandatory video games.

Yes and yes. I do believe the Wing CC is involved as well, which seems to me an amazing waste of time. I believe PII violations, at least in ACC, are tracked at MAJCOM per base.

We do need to get better about policing up PII and spillage issues. We had a spillage here where over 300 initial users were effected and then it started hitting distro lists. There's been a rash of them at ACC recently and it's shut down at least one MAJCOM office for a few days. It was such a "big deal" that the ACC A6 mandated all communication with that office will now take place over SIPR.

Spillages suck up so much Comm Sq time. PII not so much, at least on the Ops side. You guys see the confiscation of phones and computers, but the reports we're required to write for them are rather extensive and go.. nowhere. I know there used to be some MAJCOM level metrics for it, but I haven't seen any in awhile. No one seems to be punished for spilling SIPR to NIPR or higher. Maybe I'm just more paranoid about that sort of thing.

I'm not sure the impetus behind the massive focus behind it since I was in a joint community at the time. To be honest.. they should treat the spillages like they're treating PII. Why we can't have gateways that scan for PII that's unencrypted, (SSN, phone number, etc, are a common data format), kill the email and send a note is beyond me.

Yeah like a top-3/cc/etc distro list that can't receive encrypted emails...fail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be able to expand the distro list in your To: box which will break out each individual addressee. Usually there's a little (+) before the name. However, I'll check into it.

Org boxes that regularly need to send/receive PII can get token/certs for encryption.

Playing passenger on a rotator to/through AUAB and stopping in Ireland. The entire pax section is elated to have a beer, especially those heading further downrange for a long stint whom have always wanted to try some name brand stout from an Irish tap.

Wheels down and the troop commander (solo O-6) makes a decision - no booze. Anyone. Back to Little Boy/Little Girl rules. He proceeds to walk the entire airport holding area from end to end in order to make sure everyone is following direction.

FFS, its Ireland and the only thing open at this hour is the airport bar and an O'Quick-Stop. We sat there, unimbibed, for several hours. I hope this admittedly minor practical but dick-move morale decision was worth it for him.

On the bright side, we still continued to Camp Cupcake and most everyone had or has time to enjoy their beer(s).

TD:LR - Having to fly to an Islamic county in order to get a beer thanks to cultural AF squeamishness over alcohol and risk avoidance.

All the CFP BS made me think of another idiotic antiquated issue we have. If I want to pick up the phone and make a long distance call....I can't. Eventhough every phone company in the US has free long distance phone calls, the Air Force still hasn't figured it out. When I worked in safety, this become a big issue when we had a mishap - we weren't able to make calls to the FAA and ATC folks, and since cell phones don't get reception in our building, we were running back and forth from our office to the front doors on our cell phones while trying to run safety checklists.

After the fact we tried to get access on our phones for long distance calling and were told that we could:

a) Be issued a long distance PIN that we'd have to enter prior to every long distance call

b) Have a phone granted long distance access, but every long distance call would have to be logged.

Both of these are kind of inconvenient when there's a smoldering jet on the airfield, so we just stuck with cell phones and jogging.

• Upvote 3

After the fact we tried to get access on our phones for long distance calling and were told that we could:

a) Be issued a long distance PIN that we'd have to enter prior to every long distance call

b) Have a phone granted long distance access, but every long distance call would have to be logged.

Both of these are kind of inconvenient when there's a smoldering jet on the airfield, so we just stuck with cell phones and jogging.

This! The only reason I can make long distance calls is because I have "acquired" a pin that has been passed down for quite a while.

Can we bitch about DTS in this thread? I submitted an authorization >30 days ago for a TDY that was supposed to start last week. It's still sitting in CTO submit, waiting for my airline ticket to be booked. Life was so much better when I could e-mail/call our SATO chicks and have tickets w/in minutes!

One of our part time LTCs was supposed to airline out to a TDY. Showed up and surprise, no tickets. After he tried SATO (no answer) and the emergency number (couldn't help because it wasn't after hours), he called the PROJO and told him to scratch his name off he list, that he was going back home.

What else...

- Along with doing a DTS voucher, I now have to go into the portal and E-certify my orders after every TDY.

- Every TDY I travel on a mil transport I have to re-print my VRED (I thought we had it centrally located for a reason?). But for some reason it's not required if I fly my own plane...

- I have to fill out a new 2587 every time I go TDY to an AD base. Holy fuck, how haven't they figured this out yet! I can go to any other Guard base and have full access with just my ID.

Edited by SocialD

I think it's stupid that I'm allowed to print out PII (like, say, a recall roster), and enter everyone's phone numbers into my personal cell phone from the paper...but I can't email the recall roster to my personal email address.

http://www.spi.dod.mil/ewizard_down.htm - DoD produced Java encryption tool - approved for download on DoD or personal computers. Run it, encrypt the roster with a password, then email the encrypted file to your email and decrypt it on your laptop. Longer process but decent workaround.

http://www.spi.dod.mil/ewizard_down.htm - DoD produced Java encryption tool - approved for download on DoD or personal computers. Run it, encrypt the roster with a password, then email the encrypted file to your email and decrypt it on your laptop. Longer process but decent workaround.

Hypothetically, let's say I rename the recall roster from April999MDGrecall.docx to something like horseradish.bmp, then email that to a personal email, then rename the file back to the correct file type on my home computer. What's the chances of being busted or exposing PII?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

All the CFP BS made me think of another idiotic antiquated issue we have. If I want to pick up the phone and make a long distance call....I can't. Eventhough every phone company in the US has free long distance phone calls, the Air Force still hasn't figured it out. When I worked in safety, this become a big issue when we had a mishap - we weren't able to make calls to the FAA and ATC folks, and since cell phones don't get reception in our building, we were running back and forth from our office to the front doors on our cell phones while trying to run safety checklists.

Travis did away with long distance call codes at least a year ago. We just dial the number now. I didn't know the rest of the AF was still using them.

Hypothetically, let's say I rename the recall roster from April999MDGrecall.docx to something like horseradish.bmp, then email that to a personal email, then rename the file back to the correct file type on my home computer. What's the chances of being busted or exposing PII?

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

The problem is using this TTP you are still breaking the rule set by "The Man" and you can still receive punishment if someone found it on your hard drive.

You should not get in trouble for e-mailing a recall roster to yourself. What's next? Getting a LOR for losing your cell phone with you coworker's contact info? How about LOR for losing a paper copy of the recall roster?

• Upvote 2

10 years ago, when I was in charge of the ops desk, we had a recall, and folks were having to step outside to call others with long distance numbers...so I called the telephone folks who gave me a form to fill out requesting an unrestricted line, and voila, a day later it was done. No log to be maintained, no code/PIN to input. I considered it a minor victory.