Shoe Clerk Vol 3

Guest Buff1569

Young bubbas, just get your Master's done, stay in the books and be a real expert in your MWS, and expect to work a lot harder and do a lot "more with less" for the foreseeable future.

Why, again, do I want to work so hard? I'm having more and more trouble remembering what it is exactly I'm working towards.

I'll be a tactical expert so I'm able to serve my country in a time of war. I have no idea what a masters buys me (retirement? more deployments? less flying?).

• Upvote 3

Why, again, do I want to work so hard? I'm having more and more trouble remembering what it is exactly I'm working towards.

This is THE question.

You just have to decide on a personal level if it is worth it to you to meet the minimum requirements to stay or not. It is really that simple. If you don't want to stay you don't have to get an advanced degree.

Unfortunately, you probably cannot blow off your advanced degree and stay,

The AAD requirement doesn't make sense but like it or not, it is an abort criteria,

I'm not saying the below concept is good, the right way to do it, or anything like that...but:

The more I mull over this whole silliness in my head, the AAD is only a "pay-to-play" item. For example, a local senior leader recently said that he looked at all the PRFs for primary job expertise first and then AAD and PME in res. When asked about whether the school mattered, he told us straight up that no one cares about the school as it is simply "did you do it or not?" He did say he always likes to see interesting and useful degrees.

I think what we should try to force as an officer corps is the concept of "right time, right education." To that end, I think we should focus on ditching the SOS correspondence and SOS residence debacle that we currently have. Instead, SOS correspondence should be a 100% completion item that awards BDE credit and a Master's degree. Perhaps this means the course is 1-2 years long, and would be structured very similar to the current ACSC OLMP, but the goal would be to take a newly promoted Captain and check all the boxes. It would also allow a return to primary job focus for the first four years (yes, many of those years are currently taken up by pipeline training like UPT etc). It would still be a choice for people to do it, but conceptually, it could be an equalizer that helps with primary job expertise for promotion and so on. I would only call it SOS correspondence (maybe even a new name) because it would be a military arts/science degree. It would be a SOS residence pre-requisite...yet would not overlap in content, as I don't think we should practice bleeding.

I guess my ideal progression would be:

Lt -- Focus on job (UFT or other basic training, IQT, MQT, etc), minimized additional responsibilities that increase after some time in the primary job.

Capt -- Focus on expertise (Instr, Eval, etc), additional responsibilities (show leadership potential), "SOS correspondence" that gives BDE credit (in case you can't go in res for extenuating circumstances) and AAD credit.

Maj -- Depth + Breadth (career broadening etc), additional duties, ACSC (yes this program needs to be fixed as well).

LtCol+ -- I haven't thought that far on "fixing" the career progression.

True that. The first thing our WIC guy was tasked with when he came back was planning the wing formal ball. No thanks...

If this is true, then your Patch buddy is at fault for allowing himself to be tasked. It is pretty simple dude - when I RTB'd from the WIC I was hit with a similar tasking that I would not and could not accept. I had a flight to run, training program to build, and several Flags to get ready for - not to mention sending dudes out the door daily on real world ops. I was the one patch wearer in my community on base. I couldnt afford to NOT do my primary job - and I told the Sq and Grp CC's that I wouldnt do the job they wanted me to do. PERIOD. If your boy got shackled with that garbage, it's because he let it happen.

I would agree that some MAF CC's, due to their general lack of experience with patches, dont know what to do with them, so they use them as a dutchboy - to plug the gap and do the no fail mission/job/get the shit done so the wing/grp/sq doesnt fall flat on its face. And it's up to every patch out there to call KIO when it comes time to holiday party planning or anything that isnt related to tactical training, employment or going to war. The rook CC's always want the patch to come up and be their execs because they do good work. But if the patches say nothing and accept their fate - then they are part of the same problem.

The WIC is not a bad thing. And Patches still get RIF'd, have to do masters degrees and ACSC in correspondence.... so no, it is not a place to hide. That bullseye on the left sleeve is nothing more than a target. You only get one chance to not fuck up...

Chuck

Edited by Chuck17

Nah, it wasn't. It was an educational one, for all of us. And it also wasn't that big of deal, and 100% the right call, and they agreed with me. It wasn't a matter of shitting on an O-5 / O-6's desk. It was a matter of telling them that ain't the right answer.

That's all I'm saying. Planning a party aint the right answer for those guys. If you want to scoff that, I got nothing else for ya.

I will say this - in certain circumstances, say the WIC graduation ceremony, I think there's an exception to my statement. But for the WOs at the Wings? Negative.

Sorry for the thread derail - back to the regularly scheduled bashing already in progress.

Chuck

Edited by Chuck17

That bullseye on the left sleeve is nothing more than a target. You only get one chance to not ###### up...

Chuck

While I know what you're saying C17, learned a long long time ago that you don't need the patch to have credibility or be a "target".

Do what's right every time and stay focused on who's important---Blue 4!

OL Patch

It will take until weapons school graduates are MAF wing commanders before MAF weapons officers are properly used. Not bad, just the normal evolution of understanding the value and appropriate use of a weapons officer.

FWIW, the MAF schoolhouse should be communicating with the wings to make sure the guys are properly tasked.

Over the last four years, have observed two young outstanding MAF patch wearers working in a operational engaged 3stars HQ. What they have brought to the effort is amazing. Rainman is right...until they become the MAF leadership, change will be slow. As an old retired guy, I have faith--sort of--because I see the idiocy everyone bitchs about on BO.

It will take until weapons school graduates are MAF wing commanders before MAF weapons officers are properly used. Not bad, just the normal evolution of understanding the value and appropriate use of a weapons officer.

FWIW, the MAF schoolhouse should be communicating with the wings to make sure the guys are properly tasked.

AD AMW at WRI: WG & OG/CCs are patches.

I call bullshit again. We are currently overmanned by 1400 officers. Cuts are going to continue to happen. I'll take a $23 bet on this one too.

This is the same guy who told us that the nuclear enterprise was one of the top goals of the AF and that "every single one of you is absolutely essential to get the mission done and we can't do it without you." Then, when asked about the upcoming personnel cuts, said, "We are going to have to cut some of you..." The guy's word/integrity is completely worthless and his leadership and inspiration is virtually nonexistent, IMNSHO.

Damn, Wish I'd given odds on that bet. Perhaps SOMEONE would have bitten:

http://www.military....C=airforce-a.nl

If she's a 3: make her wear a plastic bag???

No. The 3 level is what is also known as "coyote ugly," where you wake up in the morning, discover to what misdeeds your beer goggles have led you, then do whatever it takes to escape without waking her--specifically to include gnawing your own arm off at the shoulder should it be trapped beneath your conquest....

Well made it 9/10's through my deployment while sporting the OLD pt sweatshirt (the one that says "Air Force" on it) before I got Chiefed today.

DARN! And it was a double whammy since I had my sleeves pushed 1/3 up on my arm too.

I still refuse to buy the new PT sweatshirt out of principle that I already paid for this one and I only need to dig it out of the closet when I deploy. So I will continue trying to be as loud as humanly possibly in my PT's swishing down the hallways and through base.

• Upvote 1

I didn't even know there was a PT sweatshirt. I guess that is one of the benefits of spending the last five years in Hawaii.

Well made it 9/10's through my deployment while sporting the OLD pt sweatshirt

I've still got most of my old PT shorts from nearly 10 years ago. Still good as new and great for lounging. Never was a fan of the new stuff. Had to buy 2 new pairs of the new sweatpants because the dryer melted a hole in the first pair and now the current ones have mystery holes in the legs, probably from our CC's decision to do calisthenics in a gravel parking lot.

OK folks, a little OPSEC lesson here...discussing security vulnerabilities at bases on this forum.

All posts in this thread concerning such matters have been deleted, and anyone who feels the need to continue talking about how security works (and doesn't) at any location will be victim of the ban hammer.

Last warning, read and THINK about what you post before hitting the 'submit' button!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions, but be smart and do so BEFORE you post something that may be an OPSEC violation!

• 2 weeks later...

It's already started. Just got the AFPC notification email so MPF can cut my OTS orders. Good except it wasn't my last name. That was caught by the shoe. However the other information to include the SSN was not mine. I kindly brought that to their attention.

Doesn't surprise me anymore. About par for the course actually. Refer to my post in the navy nurse TMO debacle: Nobody is covering your 6. It's your career. Take necessary precautions.

Yepp, don't every rely on a shoe to have your back. Keep copies of everything, including emails, know the regs, be right, and plan ahead.

Don't forget to GO IN PERSON because they must at least acknowledge you. If you call, you will encounter the automated menu with no option to talk to a person. If you email, they will play farmville til 1630. Congrats on OTS: don't quit the first week, don't time-bust on your briefings and you will be fine.

The funny thing about the phone is that while they can ignore it when they wish, if they're talking to you in person they will rarely let it go more than one ring. Nobody likes a ringing phone, and they'll cut you off to let that phone call first in line.

• 2 weeks later...

Received through numerous forwards

-----------------------------

Subject: A 100% true story

Fellow Warriors,

The story I am a about to tell you is 100% true. If you don't want to hear an inspiring, moving account of out-shoeing a shoe, then delete. However, if you're ready to put on your black socks and fight the man, then read below.

So I went to the gym yesterday to run. I just took off my running suit, changed my shoes, removed my life preserver belt, combed my hair, trimmed my mustache, put my socks to the proper level, folded my jacket the proper air force way, and prepared to run. There was only a spare few seconds of adjusting the treadmill when I spotted a nearby shoe eyeing me down. "Oh boy,"

I thought, "just give a damn second to get set up here and I'll do a thorough uniform check". Too late, the nerd got me. He said, "Hey, make sure you tuck that shirt in fully before you start. Just looking out for you". I swear, a tiny portion of my shirt was not 100% fully in and I just removed my jacket 10 seconds prior.

Well, this is where my training kicked in. I did not get upset or flustered like I may have in the past as a newbie to war. Those days are over. I'm prepared, hardened, studied, and ready for the shoe enemy and his tactics. The first thing I did, as anyone should, is sarcastically laugh in his face and give him the "are you serious?" look. Then I slowly (and still sarcastically) tucked my shirt in extra high, pulled up my socks extra high, and (sarcastically) said "thank you so much for correcting my uniform appearance.

I promise it will NEVER happen again". But I did not stop there. I knew a good defense was a strong offense. It was time to execute Operation Two-Shoe policy! I patiently hawked and observed this dork of nature looking for any violation I can think of. I had to peruse the list of shoe-rules on the wall just to refresh my memory. So as I'm doing sit-ups, I see what appears to be the same person riding the bike. But after careful observation (of which he is getting real nervous now), I see the shot I've been looking for! On his pasty white thin legs, next to the spot where his penis used to be, I notice this guy has short, grey spandex on under his shorts. Not the "dark air force blue or black" ones that are required as per AFSHOE 69.69 policy. I was no longer going to be victim. I was going to stand up for the long-forgotten combat pilot! I learned that how can I be trusted to lead a combat sortie if I have a logo that is too large on my sock. So I thought, how can I trust this guy to do my finances or clean my toilet if he can't follow simple regulations. But a dilemma entered my brain. Was war changing me? Was I becoming the evil shoe I fought so hard against? He looked different, and I was not 100% sure it was him. Was this even the same person...I didn't have 100% PID because I was so shocked and was laughing so hard during his attack. I began to sweat and panic. What had Shoe-War done to me? But then I went back to my training. "Have a plan", "don't be afraid of the Shoe", "he's just as afraid of you as you are of him". So I mustered up all my confidence and proudly walked up to him.

"Hey, are you the guy that was running next to me? (giving myself an exit if he said "no).

"Yes", his fat face mumbled.

"Were you the one you helped me out with my uniform appearance?".

"yes".

Here was my shot. Here was the moment I've been waiting for so long...

"Well, Buddy, let me help you out. You're wearing the wrong color spandex. It has to be black or blue. Good luck finding one too because they're hard to find. Just looking out for you, Bro".

The little snail didn't know what to do. For once, the shoe was on the other foot, so to speak. It was Luke Skywalker turning the tables and making Darth Vader his b!tch. It was like watching the bully O'Doyle station wagon go flying over the cliff! He stammered, sputtered, got confused, tried to hide his shorts, "um, uh, well, the thing is, my laundry, uh actually, it's not technically a..., uh, ok, sure, I'll fix it next time" was all he could muster. I felt proud, similar to the feeling Robin Olds must have had returning from a successful mission from deep North Vietnam.

Fellas, I don't use the word "hero" too often, especially when referring to myself. But Anchor, I think you have more than enough info here for a medal.

Remember your training! Stand proud! Fight the man! Stick your black-socked foot in the mouth of the Shoe!

Are you REQUIRED to wear the gay PT "uniform" when working out at a stateside gym at some places? I never have understood those idiots who wear the PT "uniform" of their own free will. Shoes can't say a damn thing to you when you're wearing whatever you want at the gym.

My take is that if you intentionally wear the PT "uniform" when it isn't absolutely required, you are a large, slow, non maneuvering high RCS target, and deserve the hits you take.

• Upvote 1