F-35 Lightning info

HiFlyer

But the so-called “Distributed Aperture System” doesn’t work. “The DAS has displayed a high false alarm rate for missile detections during ownship and formation flare testing,” the testing report reveals. Basically, the system cannot tell the difference between an enemy missile and one of the F-35’s own hot flares.

So let me get this straight, if your wingman breaks off and pops flares due to an incoming missile, it's a bad thing if your system starts kicking them out as well? Sounds like a feature to me.

Imagine the feedback loop that could result. An F-35’s DAS detects an incoming missile and pops flares. DAS then mistakes those flares for another missile and pops more flares, then still more flares to spoof them. So on and so on until the F-35 runs out of countermeasures … and is defenseless.

Even funnier when you're in a stack of 12 aircraft and that helo at coord starts the chain.

But seriously...why are these F-35 specific problems.

How is it that multiple fighter MWS' have this issue but it's not an issue in heavies (specifically 130's)? We def never experience this issue...

You guys carry a shit ton more flares than we do?

• Upvote 1

How is it that multiple fighter MWS' have this issue but it's not an issue in heavies (specifically 130's)? We def never experience this issue...

Easy boys, this is teetering on OPSEC. Don't talk about what our CMDS can or can't do here.

Edited by Toasty

You guys carry a shit ton more flares than we do?

I was trying to get more at the "why" not the "how", but no need to go further down this path

Easy boys, this is teetering on OPSEC. Don't talk about what our CMDS can or can't do here.

Good point Toasty, and my bad guys...sry for the derail

• 2 weeks later...

60 minutes is doing a report on the F-35 tonight.

Saw it. Bottom line: the acquisition process failed, but we're gonna buy this jet no matter what. Kinda defeats the purpose of talking tough to Lockheed.

"Fix this shit or else."

"Or else what?"

"Well, nothing really. But we'll talk bad about you on a tv show only old people watch. "

Thanks for the post - just watched it. Nothing new learned but interesting none the less, doesn't change my opinion (worth approx. $0.02) that it is too expensive, too many compromises and too far gone to completely stop. Even all that said, if we just stop the bleeding at some point, i.e. buy only 700 or so and learn a lesson to give up when you are 7 years behind schedule and 160+ billion over-budget, perhaps it won't pull AF, Navy, and USMC down the drain but I'm an optimist.

Buy enough so that when inevitable shit storm comes up when the program is curtailed, whatever hapless leader (mil or civ) who is forced to go on 60 Minutes to explain what things didn't go as planned has some small amount of maneuvering room by being able to say we achieved some of our objectives, just not all and it just cost too much. Somebody put the screws to the F-22 and we only bought 187 of planned 650 buy, somebody can do the same thing here.

too many compromises

This is the heart of the problem with the JSF. It's not really a Joint Strike Fighter anymore, it's supposed to be a Joint Everything Fighter. The logic that we only have enough money to develop one fighter amongst the services breaks down when you're asking a company to build a machine so complex that it meets the requirements across every service for completely different modes of operation. I would wager that had they had separate developments for a 85% common AF/Navy variant and separate Marine variant, it would have cost less for two aircraft programs than for one JSF program.

Edited by SurelySerious
  • Upvote 2

I would wager that had they had separate developments for a 85% common AF/Navy variant and separate Marine variant, it would have cost less for two aircraft programs than for one JSF program.

You're right, but the budget realities of the early '90s/post Cold War drawdown meant that the Marines wouldn't have gotten a fighter in that scenario. ASTOVL/SSF/CALF was a non-starter as a standalone program, but there was no way in hell the Marines weren't getting a Harrier replacement (too many friends on Capitol Hill). Thus the JSF program was born.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest from AF Times - More delays & $$$

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20140326/NEWS05/303260057/Further-delays-predicted-F-35-program

My personal fav quotes -

Software development is, as Bogdan put it, “really hard stuff,” and will force new delays.

Still, Bogdan said the program more recently — meaning under his watch — has made “slow and steady progress...Bogdan admitted mistakes have been made, but pinned much of that blame on his predecessors and the program’s prime contractor, Lockheed Martin.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Interesting take on the situation, the F-22 finally proved its worth in Syria (a little bit anyway), I'll give Lockheed that. What are your thoughts:

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-f-35-was-built-to-fight-isis-2014-10

my thoughts are that the majority of the heavy lifting has been done by the strike eagles, that the f35 would be severely range limited, and that manpads and other ir systems will still be a HUGE threat to a single jet engine that operates close to the edge of its envelope

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

An article written by a grad student with a pilot slot.

"Jonathan Miller recently completed an MA Strategic Studies at Aberystwyth Universitys Department of International Politics. Soon embarking on a career in military aviation, his primary interests are airpower strategy, information warfare, air/sea battle doctrine, and the concept of "officership" as a profession."

that russian article is interesting when it talks about the F-4 and the gun pod and over reliance on BVR. I also remember during Vietnam the Navy having bad kill ratios till implementing top gun. if memory serves the navy had a kill ratio on the order 13:1 after top gun, where the USAF hovered around 4:1. granted i wasnt alive at the time

I feel like when I first joined the air force 6 years ago we were having the same discussions about the F-22. Now we aren't. Even flown with one at a Red Flag?

The bros at Edwards, Nellis, and Eglin will make the F-35 a great airplane. We will develop tactics to exploit its advantages and avoid its weaknesses as best we can. Maybe I'm mainlining koolaid but the US has gone all in on this airplane and I can't imagine we will accept a POS. In 3 or 4 years, I'm confident we'll have an impressive jet starting to show up in reasonable numbers.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...