Earthquake/Tsunami in Japan

Slicks are already landing in Sendai with roughly 4500' available.

You may recall this image from a few days ago:

sendai-airport-is-flooded-after-a-tsunami-following-an-earthquake-in-sendai.jpg

I PCSed a few weeks too early. Wish I was still there to help out. To all of those reading that are involved in this, fly safe and keep up the awesome work!

My link

We opened up Sendai yesterday. Field is an absolute wreck, they've got about 4200ft available but STS is working to clear more. They've got a big pile of cars, vans, and mud bulldozed into a pile about 5000ft down the runway. I'll post some pics I took when I get the chance.

My link

We opened up Sendai yesterday. Field is an absolute wreck, they've got about 4200ft available but STS is working to clear more. They've got a big pile of cars, vans, and mud bulldozed into a pile about 5000ft down the runway. I'll post some pics I took when I get the chance.

:beer: Awesome work. Keep it up guys.

My link

:beer: Looking forward to the pics!

Guest Sandlapper

My link

Awesome job fellas. Makes me proud!

Apologies for the poor quality, all I had was my Iphone. My EWO got some better shots, I'll post those when I get them. Missions into both Sendai and Matsushima are continuing, hopefully we'll be able to start pushing a serious amount of supplies into both and get it to the people that need it.

post-8587-0-39413700-1300339042_thumb.jp

post-8587-0-29914300-1300339070_thumb.jp

post-8587-0-68869800-1300339089_thumb.jp

post-8587-0-76496100-1300339132_thumb.jp

My sister left Misawa today. She acted on a gut feeling that she should leave, packed up her two kids, and caught the first flight to the States-a C-17 to McChord. Scary thing is that she doesn't know when/if she should go back.

Japan's in a desperate situation. They're a good people that need to be in our thoughts...

We opened up Sendai yesterday. Field is an absolute wreck, they've got about 4200ft available but STS is working to clear more. They've got a big pile of cars, vans, and mud bulldozed into a pile about 5000ft down the runway.

Sounds like the opening few months at Bagram.

The economic costs are going to be significant. Assets coming back into Japan are spiking the Yen, which will hammer Japanese industry. Supply chain issues for both exports and imports are going to have significant economic implications for a long time.

I just changed my upcoming flight to Singapore because I cannot even connect through Narita due to a global restriction imposed by my company. Ended up saving $3500 on a first class ticket by switching from Delta to a United flight connecting through Hong Kong but it highlighted the downstream economic effects on this disaster.

I have some family based at Misawa. The wife was on vacation in Hawaii when this went down, got evacuated there to higher ground for a few hours. She's back in the States now, no word on her house (I don't think they had tsunami issues that far north, but they live close to the beach) nor when she'll be allowed back.

I wonder how this will affect the deployed people from there.

My sister left Misawa today. She acted on a gut feeling that she should leave, packed up her two kids, and caught the first flight to the States-a C-17 to McChord.

I'm a bit surprised they hadn't NEO'd a week ago. Seems to me that every resource not consumed by the base populace could be diverted to the relief effort. Very disruptive to Misawa/Yakota families, but at this point it's all relative.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...