Engine Failure

Guest Tony<><

Guest Tony<><

Have you ever lost your engine?

This is my story...

July 24th 2010

It was a typical VFR flight out of Destin (DTS) like I’ve done time and time again. I got there about 9AM to do the mission planning and took off around 11AM. We were headed to Orlando (ORL) for a surprise birthday party. I preflighted the C-172 N53456, called to open our flight plan, then talked to Eglin clearance to receive flight following enroute. Just prior to takeoff I did the normal checklists and the engine run-up was fine with both mags working normally. We flew down the coast at about 1000’ taking in the scenery for approximately 5 miles. We then started our climb to 9500’. Approximately 30 miles East of DTS and passing 3800’ the engine went from about 2400RPM to 1000RPM. It was as if the throttle linkage had disconnected and the engine went to idle. I was on the radio with flight watch getting a weather update when it happened. I told them to standby and maintained aircraft control by immediately trading airspeed for altitude. We were at about 90-95 KIAS when the engine went to idle so I pitched for 65 KIAS (best glide) and we were able to get to almost 4000’. I then began to analyze the situation as we descended quickly. After trouble shooting as much as I could, I pushed the throttle in and pulled it out looking for a response. I pulled the carb heat hoping that it would remedy the idle engine. In the limited amount of time that I had I tried every feasible solution; unfortunately, there was nothing I could do to keep the C-172 from descending. I spun the Garmin 430 and saw that the closest airfield was 12 miles away. Too far! With only a few minutes to spare, I realized that I had to make a decision quickly. Below me was the ocean, the beach and a busy road. At my 9 O’clock, I saw Shark’s Tooth golf course and it was my only realistic option. I then turned the aircraft toward the golf course and maneuvered for high key; my safest option was to land on the golf course. I had just checked in with Tyndall approach a few minutes prior so I declared an emergency with them and squawked 7700 with a flash. I hit high key at 2000’ while analyzing the golf course for the safest option for the passengers on board as well as any civilians on the ground. What ended up being the 18th hole had a cart on it so I chose the hole next to it. I hit low key at around 1300’. I then maneuvered to clear the tall trees on the south side of hole 17 while milking my flaps down. As soon as I cleared the huge trees I pushed over to try and use as much fairway as possible. After landing and rolling to a stop I made sure everyone was okay and I contacted emergency response along with the FAA.

Here is a link to the official story and a video just a few minutes after. I'm interested to hear your thoughts and stories of your own. Praise God we're all alive and even the plane was left undamaged.

Story

http://www.newsherald.com/articles/tooth-85649-landing-17th.html

Video

God bless,

Tony<><

I've never lost my engine. I've lost *an* engine dozens of times, but such is the life of a Herk pilot. Outstanding job keeping your passengers safe in a horrible situation. My hat is off to you.

Regards,

Herkdrvr

Guest Alarm Red

...I preflighted the C-172 N53456...

Best tail number ever! "Tower, Skyhawk 4-5-what, ready for takeoff."

This is my story...

July 24th 2010

It was a typical VFR flight out of Destin (DTS) like I’ve done time and time again. I got there about 9AM to do the mission planning and took off around 11AM. We were headed to Orlando (ORL) for a surprise birthday party. I preflighted the C-172 N53456, called to open our flight plan, then talked to Eglin clearance to receive flight following enroute. Just prior to takeoff I did the normal checklists and the engine run-up was fine with both mags working normally. We flew down the coast at about 1000’ taking in the scenery for approximately 5 miles. We then started our climb to 9500’. Approximately 30 miles East of DTS and passing 3800’ the engine went from about 2400RPM to 1000RPM. It was as if the throttle linkage had disconnected and the engine went to idle. I was on the radio with flight watch getting a weather update when it happened. I told them to standby and maintained aircraft control by immediately trading airspeed for altitude. We were at about 90-95 KIAS when the engine went to idle so I pitched for 65 KIAS (best glide) and we were able to get to almost 4000’. I then began to analyze the situation as we descended quickly. After trouble shooting as much as I could, I pushed the throttle in and pulled it out looking for a response. I pulled the carb heat hoping that it would remedy the idle engine. In the limited amount of time that I had I tried every feasible solution; unfortunately, there was nothing I could do to keep the C-172 from descending. I spun the Garmin 430 and saw that the closest airfield was 12 miles away. Too far! With only a few minutes to spare, I realized that I had to make a decision quickly. Below me was the ocean, the beach and a busy road. At my 9 O’clock, I saw Shark’s Tooth golf course and it was my only realistic option. I then turned the aircraft toward the golf course and maneuvered for high key; my safest option was to land on the golf course. I had just checked in with Tyndall approach a few minutes prior so I declared an emergency with them and squawked 7700 with a flash. I hit high key at 2000’ while analyzing the golf course for the safest option for the passengers on board as well as any civilians on the ground. What ended up being the 18th hole had a cart on it so I chose the hole next to it. I hit low key at around 1300’. I then maneuvered to clear the tall trees on the south side of hole 17 while milking my flaps down. As soon as I cleared the huge trees I pushed over to try and use as much fairway as possible. After landing and rolling to a stop I made sure everyone was okay and I contacted emergency response along with the FAA.

Here is a link to the official story and a video just a few minutes after. I'm interested to hear your thoughts and stories of your own. Praise God we're all alive and even the plane was left undamaged.

Story

http://www.newsherald.com/articles/tooth-85649-landing-17th.html

Video

God bless,

Tony<><

Similar experience nearby to your location doing IFS out of the Eglin Aero Club. I was on my first syllabus sortie. After an hour of briefing/preflight, we took off, turned left before the apex, and climbed to the north up to pattern altitude. At 1200' I leveled the -172 and suddenly there was a loug bang followed by the engine making a "KACHUKACHUKACHU" sound. Given my mere minutes of instruction, I responded like any good rookie student would, "You have the airplane"

My instructor happily took the controls, immediately turned left, and headed for one of Eglin's abandoned runways on the airfield (now just taxiways and unused pavement). Once we realized we were going to make the main runway, we changed our approach and landed straight ahead on the main rwy and shut it down. Didn't really have time to change our squawk or do anything else other than tell the Eglin Tower we were an emergency a/c and we were coming in to land.

The mechanics and a few instructors/students drove out to meet us. When they opened up the engine, they found that the engine block had broken apart!

What year chickenhawk?

I lost an engine in a 68 model, on a moonless night, S&L 7500'. Had some time, tried a throttle burst, which seemed to get a bit of a response, then I tried the primer, which gave me 2-3 second bursts of power; enough to get me up over a final glide to the nearest field. The motor suddenly woke back up as I was rolling out on final, but by that time I was as good as checked into the nearest motel... Mechanic said it was likely vapor lock (which made little to no sense).

I lost an engine in a UH-1F crossing through the La Veta pass. That autorotation was an exciting 30 seconds/lifetime.

UH-1_65-325_Luke_May85.jpg

This is my story...

Did you find out what caused the engine failure? More importantly, did you get a free round of golf out of the ordeal? That's probably the best [read: least expensive] marketing the course has ever gotten.

I lost an engine in a UH-1F crossing through the La Veta pass. That autorotation was an exciting 30 seconds/lifetime.

Any more details?

Any more details?

Not really. The story goes "Holy shit! I'm going for that little clearing...that was close, everyone OK? What do we do now?"

They sent a Pave Low from ABQ in to sling the thing to the Taos airport where they loaded it on a flatbed and drove it the rest of the way to the boneyard.

I once took off out of Osan in a U-2 (wx 100 & 1/4). Throttle cable became disconnected from the fuel control on the roll (classic "forgot to safety wire the bolt" event) and left me with a wide open engine, no way to control it except the emergency fuel shutoff, and complete IFR for two thousand miles. After ten hours of wandering around the Pacific looking for a place to go the weather cleared over Okinawa and I shut it down and dead-sticked into Kadena. If nothing else I learned the J-75 was one tough engine...hours of overtemp by hundreds of degrees and it was barely singed. They pulled the engine and sent it home, inspected and replaced a few turbine blades and combustor buckets as a precaution, and put it back into service. Had another friend who lost all the oil and flew one four hours to Guam with no oil. Two slightly worn bearings replaced and back into service. J-75s were great engines!!

P.S. Great job Tony!!!!

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Upvote 3

After ten hours of wandering around the Pacific looking for a place to go the weather cleared over Okinawa and I shut it down and dead-sticked into Kadena.

:notworthy:

This is my story...

July 24th 2010

It was a typical VFR flight out of Destin (DTS) like I've done time and time again. I got there about 9AM to do the mission planning and took off around 11AM. We were headed to Orlando (ORL) for a surprise birthday party. I preflighted the C-172 N53456, called to open our flight plan, then talked to Eglin clearance to receive flight following enroute. Just prior to takeoff I did the normal checklists and the engine run-up was fine with both mags working normally. We flew down the coast at about 1000' taking in the scenery for approximately 5 miles. We then started our climb to 9500'. Approximately 30 miles East of DTS and passing 3800' the engine went from about 2400RPM to 1000RPM. It was as if the throttle linkage had disconnected and the engine went to idle. I was on the radio with flight watch getting a weather update when it happened. I told them to standby and maintained aircraft control by immediately trading airspeed for altitude. We were at about 90-95 KIAS when the engine went to idle so I pitched for 65 KIAS (best glide) and we were able to get to almost 4000'. I then began to analyze the situation as we descended quickly. After trouble shooting as much as I could, I pushed the throttle in and pulled it out looking for a response. I pulled the carb heat hoping that it would remedy the idle engine. In the limited amount of time that I had I tried every feasible solution; unfortunately, there was nothing I could do to keep the C-172 from descending. I spun the Garmin 430 and saw that the closest airfield was 12 miles away. Too far! With only a few minutes to spare, I realized that I had to make a decision quickly. Below me was the ocean, the beach and a busy road. At my 9 O'clock, I saw Shark's Tooth golf course and it was my only realistic option. I then turned the aircraft toward the golf course and maneuvered for high key; my safest option was to land on the golf course. I had just checked in with Tyndall approach a few minutes prior so I declared an emergency with them and squawked 7700 with a flash. I hit high key at 2000' while analyzing the golf course for the safest option for the passengers on board as well as any civilians on the ground. What ended up being the 18th hole had a cart on it so I chose the hole next to it. I hit low key at around 1300'. I then maneuvered to clear the tall trees on the south side of hole 17 while milking my flaps down. As soon as I cleared the huge trees I pushed over to try and use as much fairway as possible. After landing and rolling to a stop I made sure everyone was okay and I contacted emergency response along with the FAA.

Story

http://www.newsheral...nding-17th.html

Video

God bless,

Tony<><

Thats all well and good, but who is the chick and is she into role play?

(In all seriousness, nice job. You didn't panic and took care of your crew. I was in BUFF once that "lost" 3 engines)

Edited by b52gator

• 2 years later...
Buddy Spike, on 05 August 2010 - 07:12 PM, said:

I took a bird down the right engine on a formation takeoff in the T-38 at rotation. Motor didn't make it. Still have the HUD tape.

Are you fucking kidding me?

• Upvote 1