Way to make an entrance!

Guest bugmn20

Guest bugmn20

This almost started out in the security forces thread...

Earlier in the week at work we got an email saying the cops were going through the parking lot and ticketing anybody's car that was unlocked (plenty of folks drive beater used cars and don't bother to lock them). By the time most folks got out to their cars to lock them up, they already had tickets. I would have figured it was just standard skycop lack-of-anything-better-to-do-itis, but it turns out they were directed.

Well we had a WG/CC change of command ceremony last week and it turns out the new WG/CC directed the cops to do this. So for pretty much his first public action, a bunch of folks get tickets. How do guys like this make it that far?

Edited by bugmn20

I always liked the feeling that I didn't necessarily have to lock my car on base, (Air Force family and all...) oh well. This is just one more way to erode the trust we're supposed to have in our superiors. Blah.

- Stuck

It's a law that your POV has to be locked now? WTF??!!???!

Is there a federal, state, or local law or base regulation that requires a POV to be locked, i.e., all members parking must secure their vehicles when not occupied while on Snuffy AFB?

If not, while it would take some balls to fight it, those so screwed could.

Drop a dime to AF IG, the numbered AF/CC, the local congressman, or the local/biggest liberal newspaper/TV station in the area.

Or a blitzkreig of all them simultaneously.

I know that in Germany it's illegal to leave your car unlocked or the windows rolled down. (been studying for my drivers test)

Here at my base in the good ol U-S of A, I usually leave my windows cracked...nothing to steal in it, and if my car gets stolen on base...wow.

It gets to be 115F during the top of the summer at my base. Its an unwritten rule that if you drive a beater (like me), then you are cleared hot to leave both windows full down. The constant film of desert dust in the summer is worth not sitting in a car that could top 140 if the windows have been rolled up for some time. What the hell happened to common sense?

I always liked the feeling that I didn't necessarily have to lock my car on base, (Air Force family and all...) oh well. This is just one more way to erode the trust we're supposed to have in our superiors. Blah.

- Stuck

Where in the hell did you get the feeling that and AFB was safe. The only place my boat ever had 40 gallons of gas stolen from it was in the middle of the secure base RV storage lot for "Air Force Families".

Edited by Butters

I guess if I take the doors off the Jeep, they can't complain that they aren't locked...

Same here, but the doors are locked...in the garage! The windows are rolled down though!

So, fess up, what base is this bullshit happening at?

Cheers! M2

But it has to have a tricky knot, otherwise it doesn't count.

Fine...I'll now use something other than a slipknot...

Same here, but the doors are locked...in the garage! The windows are rolled down though!

So, fess up, what base is this bullshit happening at?

I don't know that I should say, but here's a neat article in the local paper.

I know that in Germany it's illegal to leave your car unlocked or the windows rolled down. (been studying for my drivers test)

Hey I was right in my non-guessing statement! Wow...can't wait for my first door/window ticket when I get over there!

so, basically, the base now complies with the law that exists in the country that the base is in.... dunno if that's as big of a deal as if that weren't the case.

Sort of. The USAFE and U'R reg require windows to be up and the doors locked. There are multiple things in that reg that are "German" reqmt's. Leaving you car idling is against the law, car seat requirements that are different than the states, etc. This is not much unlike bases in whatever state enforcing laws that are specific to that state. For example, the DUI laws are set on base according to the local DUI standard. There are few exceptions such as selling alcohol on Sunday in states that don't allow that. However, many of those fall back to a justification based upon what kind of jurisdiction the base falls under.

12. VEHICLE SECURITY - AE Pam 190-34/USAFE Pam 31-206 ● 15 Feb 06

a. The driver must ensure parked vehicles have closed windows and doors, and that the doors, ignition, and steering

wheel (if equipped with a lock) are locked.

b. Failure to secure a POV according to subparagraph a above is illegal. Insurance companies may not honor a claim if

the vehicle was unlocked when it was stolen.

c. If personal property is stored in the vehicle, the items should be locked in the trunk.

Either way, not at the top of my list of things to start enforcing. This falls under personal accountability and if you fail to lock your car, it is stolen and insurance fails to pay, then that's a personal problem.

As a side note, everytime I decided to leave my windows cracked or the sunroof open to vent the heat, it seemed like there was an afternoon thunderstorm. I wasn't always prepped to scramble to get it shut so the car didn't get drenched. It only took once to figure out to keep the thing shut.

Either way, not at the top of my list of things to start enforcing. This falls under personal accountability and if you fail to lock your car, it is stolen and insurance fails to pay, then that's a personal problem.

Exactly