Booze Talk

B*D*A

http://www.nightclub.com/press-releases/industry-news/news/george-t-stagg-bourbon-named-top-spirit-world-5481

George T. Stagg. I thought the bartender was kidding when he said that this was going to ruin me on other bourbans, but sure enough, I was floored.

The first sip has a kick, but the second sip? Completely different character. Love it. Highly recommended.

• Upvote 1

http://www.nightclub.com/press-releases/industry-news/news/george-t-stagg-bourbon-named-top-spirit-world-5481

George T. Stagg. I thought the bartender was kidding when he said that this was going to ruin me on other bourbans, but sure enough, I was floored.

The first sip has a kick, but the second sip? Completely different character. Love it. Highly recommended.

I read up on stagg, I don't know how I can enjoy a 73% 145 proof drink.

Yes. It is an incredible bourbon. Whatever they did to age it properly worked.

I'll be the voice of dissent... In the words of Peter Griffin, "I did not care for it". Certainly not with the hefty price tag attached.

Oh, and I'm a Kentucky guy, so I like to think I know my bourbon, but to each his own... maybe you'll love it.

• 2 months later...

I have the Best. Friends. Ever.

Presented to me this past weekend at our annual guys' trip in celebration (commiseration?) of my upcoming wedding... and there was much rejoicing!!

Or they just really feel sorry for you...

I kid, I kid...congrats man! And if you can't finish the bottle, PM me and I'll give you the address of where to send it.

• Upvote 1

Anybody know of anywhere in the TX that imports and sells Ron Miel Honey Rum? Bought some in Rota and have since run out and the stuff is impossible to find here in TX.

EDIT: Anyone in TX. I can't find any online dealers that ship to TX.

Edited by Mi Scusi!

• 1 month later...

Just poured a dram of Ardbeg Uigeadail Single Malt from Isley, Scotland. (Named after Loch Uigeadail, the source of the distillery's water.) Wow, talk about an incredible peaty, smoky, sea spray explosion of a taste and smell. Amazing.

post-1551-0-19833500-1354417348_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

anyone else get the email from Maker's Mark saying they were cutting the ABV by 3% to help meet demand?

Yes...one of the problems with unrestrained capitalism, they will water down the whiskey to make more profit.

I appreciate they've been honest and upfront (they would have been caught anyway), but as a purist I am very disappointed, they have marketed themselves on quality for years, they drew us in as ambassadors to leverage that quality and have the customer spread the word. Now when all of that worked they are going to cash in to make an extra 3% on the bottomline. I guess most companies would so it, I am just disappointed this one did.

Yes...one of the problems with unrestrained capitalism, they will water down the whiskey to make more profit.

I appreciate they've been honest and upfront (they would have been caught anyway), but as a purist I am very disappointed, they have marketed themselves on quality for years, they drew us in as ambassadors to leverage that quality and have the customer spread the word. Now when all of that worked they are going to cash in to make an extra 3% on the bottomline. I guess most companies would so it, I am just disappointed this one did.

MM got me interested in bourbons initially, of the alcohol in that price range it was the first I learned to enjoy neat or with a few rocks. Im also sorry to hear this news because I still have a mental image of MM and bourbon companies in general as being a classy breed apart. But it's just business in the end..... With some notable exceptions. There really are a small number of companies that enjoy their reputation as a bastion of quality over capitalism. Sure they make money, and maybe they've simply decided this is the best way for them to compete with major manufactures who have them beat on production capacity, I don't know. But I've met a few guys here and there who genuinely seem to enjoy owning a company that sells a product known for being exceptional and have resisted opportunities for extra dollars by watering down their product. I highly encourage you to give Jefferson's a try if you're looking for a classy company with a great product. Jefferson's 18 specifically. And if you're in the HRT area let me know and we'll take 10 bourbons for a blind taste test.

Edited by tac airlifter

Or you could just discover scotch and see what you've been missing.

I still frequent scotch. JW gold is one of my favorites and the shoppette sells it for only 55$; typically 90$+ in my local liquor store. I also have a bottle of Yamazaki 18 and a few other notables. But bourbon has it beat man, sorry.

Edited by tac airlifter
  • Upvote 1

Don't shoot me for saying this....

A friend of mine who is a scotch fiend pointed me towards Costco's Kirkland Signature Scotch, all Speyside 16,17,18 years limited release. I'll be damned, it was good. Check out the reviews online, and honestly who wouldn't want to buy some scotch at a place you could get your oil changed and buy a half ton of king crab legs and rib eyes.

Cheers!

The above post wasn't a joke.

Feel like I need to throw that out there.

Don't shoot me for saying this.... A friend of mine who is a scotch fiend pointed me towards Costco's Kirkland Signature Scotch, all Speyside 16,17,18 years limited release. I'll be damned, it was good. Check out the reviews online, and honestly who wouldn't want to buy some scotch at a place you could get your oil changed and buy a half ton of king crab legs and rib eyes. Cheers! The above post wasn't a joke. Feel like I need to throw that out there.

Kikland Tequila isn't too bad either. When I have people over and grill out in summer I usually pick up a couple bottles to make margaritas and stuff, while I'm buying 20lbs of brats, etc... Better than other cheap ass tequilas at least!