Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

Guest Rusty Pipes
If you know some bubbas over at the CAOC, head over to the Muff Inn.

They order their booze from the same folks... sad. The Muff isn't completely dry (I had to say it) yet, but its probably getting close. The Thunder Box (Aussies) has been closed for almost 2 weeks now for lack of booze. Do we have to go to war with Qatar now? Going to war over oil is one thing, but the Lefties will at least have to understand going to war over a lack of booze!!!

:M16::beer::M16::beer::M16:

After years and years of going to the Deid (after two years in country trust me i know) the booze shortage thing is a come and go thing (STS). The real problem is the I/Emmigration thing nowadays. Those of you out there recently suerly know what I mean. I just returned from a relay (hopefully my last time to that shithole) and shit was bad, crews being deported and the such. After my current job I should be deployed to more forward areas and the Deid will be a memory. I don't know what else to say other than those little heathen bastards have benefitted from everyting we've brought (money, infrastructure and mostly AIRPOWER) to their sphere of infleunce but that place just pisses me off.

I remember a time when there was less than 1,500 people and we still did all the same shit we are doing now. The Deid is now a place for services' pukes and shoes alike to get their "combat" time. I'm a Recce guy and I know I'm not in the shit everyday like most of our bros out there but me and my crews have done some awesome things that I am pretty proud of. If you've ever encountereed me or my bretheren you know what I mean. My last trip (and I hopefully mean my last trip) just solidified my convictions. That place is WAY beyond its britches.

I don't need fancy videos or booze (although I love it) or bullshit PPT's to tell me how well my crews are doing 9Those who have had to endure the end of AEF briefs know what I am talking about). Lets go back to simple aircrew doing what needs to be done to get he fncking job done. IMHO the Deid is what is fundamentally wrong with today's Air Force.

Let us go back to FLY, FIGHT and WIN!

Cooter

FYI...I flew a sortie where our system crapped out and my best bro showed up from Kadena toaday so I've had a few drinks to say the least.

After my current job I should be deployed to more forward areas and the Deid will be a memory.

Great...now who's gona vouch me in to the CAOC like you did my entire last deployment?

Oh, wait, afnav's going for a year. OK...problem solved.

Edited by Scooter14

I smell a "Smokey and The Bandit" of the middle east occurring! :beer::beer:

Jerry Reed, help me out here..... :salut:

Jerry (a.k.a. Cletus "Snowman" Snow) passed away on September 1, 2008. God bless 'em, he's running the line past those pearly gates now...

jerry_reed_m1050766.jpg

Cheers! M2

C'mon, this is a remake!

Use a C-130 for the 18-wheeler, substitute a Viper for the T/A, and the Wing/CC as Col. "Buford T. Justus" with his deputy "Shoeclerk."

E-3s for the county mounties with their radars, ships in the Gulf as state troopers, hell, even count flying over Iran as crossing a state line.

This could work....

Jerry (a.k.a. Cletus "Snowman" Snow) passed away on September 1, 2008. God bless 'em, he's running the line past those pearly gates now...

Cheers! M2

I thought he played the part of the O-6 in BAT-21 pretty good.

C'mon, this is a remake!

Use a C-130 for the 18-wheeler, substitute a Viper for the T/A, and the Wing/CC as Col. "Buford T. Justus" with his deputy "Shoeclerk."

E-3s for the county mounties with their radars, ships in the Gulf as state troopers, hell, even count flying over Iran as crossing a state line.

This could work....

Who gets to play the chick? And does anyone have a big enough, out-of-regs stash to even look the part? In the trans-am, I mean.

After years and years of going to the Deid (after two years in country trust me i know) the booze shortage thing is a come and go thing (STS). The real problem is the I/Emmigration thing nowadays. Those of you out there recently suerly know what I mean. I just returned from a relay (hopefully my last time to that shithole) and shit was bad, crews being deported and the such. After my current job I should be deployed to more forward areas and the Deid will be a memory. I don't know what else to say other than those little heathen bastards have benefitted from everyting we've brought (money, infrastructure and mostly AIRPOWER) to their sphere of infleunce but that place just pisses me off.

I remember a time when there was less than 1,500 people and we still did all the same shit we are doing now. The Deid is now a place for services' pukes and shoes alike to get their "combat" time. I'm a Recce guy and I know I'm not in the shit everyday like most of our bros out there but me and my crews have done some awesome things that I am pretty proud of. If you've ever encountereed me or my bretheren you know what I mean. My last trip (and I hopefully mean my last trip) just solidified my convictions. That place is WAY beyond its britches.

I don't need fancy videos or booze (although I love it) or bullshit PPT's to tell me how well my crews are doing 9Those who have had to endure the end of AEF briefs know what I am talking about). Lets go back to simple aircrew doing what needs to be done to get he fncking job done. IMHO the Deid is what is fundamentally wrong with today's Air Force.

Let us go back to FLY, FIGHT and WIN!

Cooter

FYI...I flew a sortie where our system crapped out and my best bro showed up from Kadena toaday so I've had a few drinks to say the least.

Cooter,

It's bad now. Not only do crews get deported for playing with a nerf football in the PERSCO yard (yep it happened). We're now all required to I/Emmigrate every friggin time we fly out here. Doesn't matter where you go, or what you do, it you're aircrew and head out of here every other day to fly, welcome to processing through customs twice a day. :bohica::bohica:

Have I said how much I hate this place!!!!! :flipoff::flipoff:

Cooter,

It's bad now. Not only do crews get deported for playing with a nerf football in the PERSCO yard (yep it happened). We're now all required to I/Emmigrate every friggin time we fly out here. Doesn't matter where you go, or what you do, it you're aircrew and head out of here every other day to fly, welcome to processing through customs twice a day. :bohica::bohica:

"Do you have anything to declare?"

Have I said how much I hate this place!!!!! :flipoff::flipoff:

Sorry, had to do it.

How things have changed... I spent seven months in Doha in 90-91 and some of the guys wanted to get their passports stamped - we took a taxi over to the airport where they couldn't even find the 'stamp'. Had to go down to the Qatari Customs Ministry office in town where someone had one in a desk. Not only that, but the local government at the time not only said that alcohol would be fine on base, but apparently offered to provide it (which was turned down by our command...)

Mike

oh lordy, it is bad when a commander has a knee-jerk reaction and says "no more booze", but now we have a King declaring no more booze for the foreigners? WTF? I mean, you can still buy it downtown at Chili's, right?

I know for a while when I was there last, the beer & booze were a little short because the delivery ran late. Hopefully this is all it is...

...then again, this is the 'Deid...

It's not the delivery running late, it's the customs agents not letting the trucks with the alcohol on base. And it's official as of gym time today, the CAC is out of beer. :darkcloud::darkcloud:

Just got an email this morning saying they were putting out near beer that some TCN's were drinking and the Qatari's said something to the effect of "you are corrupting morals of Muslims". What the Fnck ever. Hopefully the POTUS or State Dept or whoever says "you know what...Fnck you" and the last plane to leave should be a BOne with a bunch of spare GBU-38's that it just so happens to need to get tid of on all the stuff we've built up out there. The Saudi's started pulling similar crap right before they kicked us out too, food for thought.

Coot

The Saudi's started pulling similar crap right before they kicked us out too, food for thought.

We could only wish they would kick us out. That would be this board's wet dream. But then they'd just move the BS to some other spot and start fresh.

How things have changed... I spent seven months in Doha in 90-91 and some of the guys wanted to get their passports stamped - we took a taxi over to the airport where they couldn't even find the 'stamp'. Had to go down to the Qatari Customs Ministry office in town where someone had one in a desk. Not only that, but the local government at the time not only said that alcohol would be fine on base, but apparently offered to provide it (which was turned down by our command...)

I've heard something to the effect of a certain amount of money being exchanged for each person processed through immigration - which would make sense in how each crew (2-30 people per shot) are having to process twice a day.

I say let them provide their own defense. BRAC OTBH.

Just got an email this morning saying they were putting out near beer that some TCN's were drinking and the Qatari's said something to the effect of "you are corrupting morals of Muslims".

The story I heard here is that those TCN's took it downtown and sold it...

A little background for those not here. The BX had a bunch of near beer that they couldn't sell, so they left outside for anyone to take. I guess the only people who wanted it were TCN's

I pretty much got the official word today for me.

NO STAFF EXTENSIONS ANYWHERE!

My bosses were so confident they could play the nuke card that it left me hanging in the wind until the matches were done. By the time the music was over, I'm left standing as #1 to the Deid for 365.

My only hope (if any) is to try to play the short tour credit with the ass-load of TDY I did in AWACS years ago. They didn't update your OSDR date automatically back then, so a lot of us let it slip. On the other hand, they may have already locked on to me and won't be fooled by chaff.

Even better, I only have about a month to prepare my family for my leaving, and I have to finish up a lot of nuke crap before I go since no one else knows shit about checklists.

If anyone's out there permanent party, I'd really appreciate a PM on what it's really like on the ground out there.

I pretty much got the official word today for me.

By the time the music was over, I'm left standing as #1 to the Deid for 365.

If anyone's out there permanent party, I'd really appreciate a PM on what it's really like on the ground out there.

Look on the bright side that alot more perks come with a 365:

We had about half a dozen permanent party folks in my sqdrn over there (8EAMS). They had pretty decent billets that were seperated from the masses, had a personal GOV for their daily use, pretty much had blanket pass to go downtown. In the long run based off personal experience I'd rather do 365 there than 180. With 180 you get zero perks and are just one of the mass.

Another thing to look into is Space A travel for your dependant's. It is a bit fuzzy with some functional's thinking 366 days is the minimum........but you can get your Wing CC level to do up a letter and your dependants can fly Space-A without you both Conus and OConus.

I heard from a permanent party guy in my section (E8) that he pretty much got to choose his follow on. He wanted GA/FL area and I beleive he got Robbins. Again, the 180 guy.......zip.

Permanent party should be make your own schedule as well.

One thing that surprised me was the chow hall situation; the perm part guys had to pay. I'd rarely pay for that food. But that leads me to believe that BAS is paid. I'm sure 365 there would be a nice way to put away some $$.

Look on the bright side that alot more perks come with a 365:

We had about half a dozen permanent party folks in my sqdrn over there (8EAMS). They had pretty decent billets that were seperated from the masses, had a personal GOV for their daily use, pretty much had blanket pass to go downtown. In the long run based off personal experience I'd rather do 365 there than 180. With 180 you get zero perks and are just one of the mass.

Another thing to look into is Space A travel for your dependant's. It is a bit fuzzy with some functional's thinking 366 days is the minimum........but you can get your Wing CC level to do up a letter and your dependants can fly Space-A without you both Conus and OConus.

I heard from a permanent party guy in my section (E8) that he pretty much got to choose his follow on. He wanted GA/FL area and I beleive he got Robbins. Again, the 180 guy.......zip.

Permanent party should be make your own schedule as well.

One thing that surprised me was the chow hall situation; the perm part guys had to pay. I'd rarely pay for that food. But that leads me to believe that BAS is paid. I'm sure 365 there would be a nice way to put away some $$.

Dude, a 365 to Qatar = cake.

Try doing a real one in Iraq, or better yet, Afghanistan...I'm sure the guys there are having it the toughest.

I just find it interesting that guys talk about deployments to Qatar as if they're hard or something. All I know is that the next time I see a deployment to Asalaya come down, that will be the one I choose! :rock:

Thanks for the words, everyone. Hopefully it will be comparable to my Diego experience in '03, although that was only around five months. It's nice to get the truth instead of the "365s are great" propaganda out of Airman magazine.

For a POD, a 365 is not a good deal 95% of the time, but we're the usual suspects getting hit with them (non-vols). It's just a fact.

I won't have the retainability for a follow-on of choice, won't fly afterwards, and might not get to move my family closer to home while I'm gone. The less-than-30 days to get my shit done doesn't help, either. Deferring an outbound assignment for me (twice) until I was hit with this really pisses me off, too. I'd rather have gone to Red Cloud than the Deid, and received 30 days home instead of 15 (if they feel like giving it to me). Enough venting...

One other word of advice: check your overseas duty return date. Mine was off by 144 days, and it took my personnel office an hour pouring through their database to realize it. For the LDHD platforms, watch for the 300 days in 18 months rule for a short tour credit. I missed mine by 34 days in 1998.

To the Deid in April...