Tops in Blue (TIB) - WTF?

Steve Davies

I know a guy who got himself picked up for TIB after failing the flight medical screening at Brooks. Walked into a pawn store, bought a saxophone, auditioned successfully, then returned the sax and got his $$$ back. Saw him a year or so later and he said it was the worst experience of his life. Him being the one person on tour who was not a practioner of an "alternative lifestyle" probably didn't help. Chalk that one up to being an LT, but he was prior E so maybe he should have known better.

I know a guy who got himself picked up for TIB after failing the flight medical screening at Brooks. Walked into a pawn store, bought a saxophone, auditioned successfully, then returned the sax and got his $$$ back. Saw him a year or so later and he said it was the worst experience of his life. Him being the one person on tour who was not a practioner of an "alternative lifestyle" probably didn't help. Chalk that one up to being an LT, but he was prior E so maybe he should have known better.

Are you really claiming that this guy was able to return something to a "pawn store" (shop?) and got his all money back?! I call shenanigans.

So, these douche clowns are coming to my undisclosed deployed location. Any suggestions of stuff I can do on a covert op to f with them? I'd love to see something on the grand scheme of a total sound failure, or base wide power outage in the middle of their show. I'll even make it a little contest. I'll judge the winner by the number of "Likes" on their post, and if it is in within reason, myself and my covert operatives will do our best to carry out the mission selected for us. Voting closes around the 15th.

Any suggestions of stuff I can do on a covert op to f with them? I'd love to see something on the grand scheme of a total sound failure, or base wide power outage in the middle of their show. I'll even make it a little contest. I'll judge the winner by the number of "Likes" on their post, and if it is in within reason, myself and my covert operatives will do our best to carry out the mission selected for us. Voting closes around the 15th.

Bad idea.

So, these douche clowns are coming to my undisclosed deployed location. Any suggestions of stuff I can do on a covert op to f with them? I'd love to see something on the grand scheme of a total sound failure, or base wide power outage in the middle of their show. I'll even make it a little contest. I'll judge the winner by the number of "Likes" on their post, and if it is in within reason, myself and my covert operatives will do our best to carry out the mission selected for us. Voting closes around the 15th.

When they were at Laughlin, the power went out and they just continuted acapella. Don't put everyone who 'volunteered' to attend through that pain.

Simple enough. Go because the leadership expects you to, demonstrating you're a "team player". But turn your back to them. You, and as many others you can get to do it with you. Don't talk or ignore them, or anything else that leadership can claim was "disruptive" to others. Just turn your back to them. Show leadership you really don't like having to put up with this shit, or having to go to this crappy kind of concert. You'll be there because it's a "team" thing, but you just don't like this particular waste of tax payer dollars.

I'd do the same if Nickleback showed up downrange as well...

Oh, and I've discovered that I really like to use"quotation marks"...

• Upvote 1

From todays AFA update...

No Spare Dime for the Triple Nickel: Due to a recent decision to consolidate Air Force bands, the curtain will fall on the Air National Guard Band of the Great Lakes for the last time in 2013 when the band is decommissioned, ending 90 years of morale and outreach. Tracing its roots to 1923, the unit predates the Air Force itself—originally forming as an Army band in Toledo, Ohio. During World War II, the unit band merged with others from across the state, deploying to entertain troops in the Pacific. Re-formed as the 555th Air Force Band after the war, despite changing designations, it has been unofficially known as "Triple Nickel" ever since. "Our plan is to go out with class. We are going to keep mission-focused. We want the last memories of the 555th to be that we did our best until the end," said SMSgt. Philip Smith, a trombonist and band superintendent. He added, "We are in the business of building support for the military." (Swanton report byA1C William Winston)

Maybe someone is listening. We're finally cutting into the military band structure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

TIB was in town here last night...we have a dude who is in it (previously referenced). This morning we had an all-call so the TIB commander (some 1Lt who was a running back at the zoo) could thank the squadron for "letting them have our boomer". They sang us a couple songs, which actually weren't too bad, and then gave our SQ/CC a plaque. They should have been personally thanking the 2 boomers who had to deploy extra to pick up the slack. But what made me most mad was that they get to wear BLACK BOOTS with that fruity little blue onsesie getup they wear. And they smile waaaaaay too much.

I thought it along with the other 2 on base were a waste of money when our folks were setting them up. Now, I think they're the most beautiful things I've ever seen. Glorious.

Can't be a "Center of Excellence" without a couple of marquees, can you?

I know right? Here's something funny to think about: The gym has been the designated TIB concert area for some number of years. If you're here, you know the gym floor has been redone with an actual wooden court, but FSS says no one on the court unless wearing court shoes. Coincidentally, the TIB concert this year was supposed to be at an auditorium somewhere in downtown LR I think. When it was on base, the gym couldn't handle their 'optium performance power requirements' (their words, not mine), so CE always spotted them a whisper-soft generator.

I wonder if they skipped LR because FSS didn't want them dicking up the gym floor, the downtown spot couldn't handle their power requirements and they would've had to pay a contractor for a generator, or a combo of both. Doesn't seem like budget is the reason they skipped town because they're pressing on as is evident by the other posts on here...