Gun Talk

VL-16

4 hours ago, Biff_T said:

I just purchased a Beretta M9.  For nostalgia.   

I never thought I'd like to see one of those again.

CA is making me wait two weeks for a M9. There's another purchase I made for xmas..(Ruger 9mm Carbine) they can't give that one until two weeks after the M9 or something like that.  

I liked the Deep South because you can buy shotguns at Wal-Mart.   Or an M9 at McDonald's. 

And the GD BBQ

I like CA because in approximately 1.5 months that Ruger will cost twice as much due to taxes.  It's almost as hard purchasing ammo.  

But I can buy shrooms at the tobacco store. Fucking nuts.  

Of all the hand guns, I think I dislike the M9 the most. 

Ruger has some cool stuff though. I'm thinking about a Mark IV lite with a silencer for plinking at the range.

• Upvote 2

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox40.com/news/california-connection/new-firearms-related-laws-california-2024/amp/

I'm gonna have to start a weapons smuggling ring buying legal weapons in the US and taking them to other places in the US.   

Newsom likes guns in his butt.  

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Biff_T said:

CA is making me wait two weeks for a M9. There's another purchase I made for xmas..(Ruger 9mm Carbine) they can't give that one until two weeks after the M9 or something like that.  

I liked the Deep South because you can buy shotguns at Wal-Mart.   Or an M9 at McDonald's. 

And the GD BBQ

I like CA because in approximately 1.5 months that Ruger will cost twice as much due to taxes.  It's almost as hard purchasing ammo.  

But I can buy shrooms at the tobacco store. Fucking nuts.  

The single-action trigger is quite nice.  The rest of the design I could leave.  

Maybe some day CA will get slapped hard enough by the courts that they will decide it's not worth constantly violating the 2nd Amendment anymore...but I'm not holding my breath.

44 minutes ago, raimius said:

Maybe some day CA will get slapped hard enough by the courts

I wish SCOTUS would clear their schedule for 2 months and eradicate all the garbage/unconstitutional laws in CA and NY, all of them. Like when you PCS and give away/trash all that random shit you don’t want to move. The country would benefit hugely.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Lord Ratner said:

Of all the hand guns, I think I dislike the M9 the most. 

I'm looking to pick up a Walther P1 (updated P38) but the one hesitation I have is it's comparison to the Beretta M9 which I also don't like, and it takes a lot for me to not like a firearm!!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Manual safeties are no bueno on a handgun IMO.

The P1 will be yet another range toy. 

The only time I have a manual safety on a carry pistol is when I'm in true Texan mode and wearing a M1911!

As for the M9, in my opinion it's a brick of a handgun with poor ergonomics, which is why I hesitate buying a P1!  You can really see the similarities in the stills from this video comparing the the Beretta with a P38... 

image.png.c6ae82dae8b2e8ed2a314857a6565a86.png

image.png.abcddc351b56b74bd9c309c181bf5958.png

image.thumb.png.9dcbdb6027a82fbfac6bdbfd50b6d2c9.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Always wanted a Walther P1 (P38), so today I picked up this nice, originally unissued Bundeswehr example rated in 'excellent' condition.  The previous owner only put about 200 rounds through it.  I see a lot similarities to the Beretta 92F (M9), which I don't particularly care for; but the Walther is way cooler in my book!

WaltherP1(1).thumb.jpg.614f9a0bc476bb7d123452860a0f7efd.jpg

WaltherP1(2).thumb.JPG.faaf34f332eab580bd5b9e9ab956eeb6.JPG

• Upvote 2

On 12/26/2023 at 3:17 PM, Biff_T said:

Never cared for the issued M9 during my time in. Much preferred my polymer 9s at the time (mostly SA XD or XDm). I ended up buying a new M9A3 about 6-9 years ago kind of on a whim. That gun completely changed my mind about the Beretta 92 in general. Straight Vertec grip, thinner grip panels, smoother trigger with lower weight hammer spring, extended mag release, dovetailed sights for more options, and the "G" version safety/decocker lever. Next 92 I got was a Langdon Tactical (LTT) modified M9 with most of those same improvements and then eventually my favorite version which is the LTT Elite 92. Night and day difference with a standard M9. Not going to argue it's the best pistol ever or should replace your favorite service or carry pistol, but it can be a damn good gun with the right upgrades. A lot of Beretta's more recent versions, such as the 92X, come standard with some of these upgrades. 

A few upgrades I'd recommend to make that M9 more enjoyable to shoot, similar to this Beretta Langdon M9 version that is no longer available, but provides good ideas to transform that M9 into a much better pistol:

Beretta Langdon M9 9mm 15+1 Limited | SPEC0638A | 4.9" Barrel, 15+1 Rounds - Buds Gun Shop

1) LTT Ultra Thin VZ G10 grips or similar (helps with trigger reach and mag release use)

VZ G10 Ultra-Thin LTT Grips - Langdon Tactical

2) 13 or 14 lb Chrome Silicon Hammer Spring from LTT (standard M9 is a 20# spring for example)

Chrome Silicon Hammer Spring (12#, 13#, 14#, 16#) - Langdon Tactical

3) Beretta "G" Lever Safety/Decocker (The lever is spring loaded to return to the up, fire, position. No safety essentially, but allows the hammer to be decocked and treat it like a DA revolver)

Beretta 92 G Model Conversion Kit - Langdon Tactical

4) Extended mag release

92 Oversized Steel Mag Button - Langdon Tactical

For a bit more $$$

5) LTT Trigger Job in a bag (it's about $180, but worth it)

Trigger Job in a Bag - 92/96/M9 Series - Langdon Tactical

The only pistols I shoot regularly these days are the 92s or Sig P320 Carry. 

6367ce28d1e4c63bc91d8e318e48e1a7.jpg

Edited by Shaft34
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased  a M1911A1 45 ACP clone by TISAS. Forged upper and lower, great deal for under $500.  Also snagged an original 1911 holster manufactured between 1917 and 1919.

Here is a comparison of it next to an actual GI issue purchased from the CMP.

20231126_202218.jpg

20231111_190838.jpg

20231125_132010.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have a set of sweetheart grips on my Springfield G.I. M1911A1 with Carole Landis on them. When I bought them, I was looking for a picture of a "girl next door" type from the 1940s, and thought she fit the bill!

image.thumb.png.57d3ffd96d42d3ba29f7cba51abe0b71.png

image.thumb.png.e01693e96026cee2f819b3aeee6d4156.png

image.thumb.png.922e683cb9751a368100a8350fec193d.png

She was an angel who left this earth far too soon!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/16/2024 at 2:02 PM, M2 said:

Damn, I'm gonnna spend all my 2024 gun money in the first month of the year!

Just bought this from PSA, a CAR-15 clone...

image.thumb.png.dc27c0d55bc2148d5c1fb5961726f157.png

image.thumb.png.08e4a5183b830961cd7f4e97a426bb94.png

PSA PA-15 11.5" Carbine-Length 5.56 NATO 1/7 Phosphate BTR Classic Stealth Pistol w/ Carry Handle | Palmetto State Armory

$499 with free shipping!

Slap a good tiger striped camo on that and you're set. 

• Like 1

M2....those grips are awesome and great tribute to someone who really cared about the boys in WW2.

I recently purchased a couple HS Produkt Springfield guns.

1. Morita Assault Rifle VHS-2 Hellion. First bullpup for me, curiosity got the best of me. Have just over 1000 rds through it and really enjoy shooting it both with the iron sights and a MRO the threw on there. Don't understand why the buttstock is adjustable, I have it all the way in and the length of pull is just right (about 1-2 inches more than on a AR for me). There must be some big ass Croatians there that need a longer adjustment. Very accurate and reliable gun thus far. Was lucky that when I purchased the gun, they had already redesigned the weird safety. After the first range day, I immediately put in an aftermarket extended bolt release, totally expect them to do this in the future as well. They shoulda just kept the VHS-2 name, just personal opinion.

2. Echelon. Was bored and wasting some time at work so did a shelf check the gun shop on base. I had been toying with the idea of a new duty pistol for home defense, non committal though. Looked at a couple HK, Sigs, and a FN, but walked out with an Echelon. The gun just felt right in my hands immediately. I've kept it stock while I'm getting used to it, but will eventually throw an optic on there, I actually like the u-notch sight. For me it has been an absolute riot to shoot. Couple hundred rounds so far, no issues, great accuracy, looks good...feels good....shoots good. Waiting on more ammo to show up for range fun. Based my experience thus far with this, I might look into a Hellcat for an EDC....

IMG_4351.jpg

IMG_5582.jpg

IMG_6254.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Well I’ve been away for sometime and happened upon BaseOps via some checkride stuff.  Thought I’d visit the old forums and check out my favorite thread Gun Talk.  Nice to see some of the OG posters still participating.

All that said… I can’t abide by the Beretta shit talk haha.

92X Performance purchased from LTT with their trigger job.  I eventually sent it back to them for an optics cut and now it sits as configured in the pictures below.

IMG_2541.thumb.jpeg.24c24083138c68d39e372f72f810697c.jpeg
IMG_2542.thumb.jpeg.58aefc1e81502ccaf4d354fd10b2d41c.jpeg

And in action:

Edited by Timbonez
  • Like 3

On 1/18/2024 at 9:58 AM, Moley said:

Purchased  a M1911A1 45 ACP clone by TISAS. Forged upper and lower, great deal for under $500.  Also snagged an original 1911 holster manufactured between 1917 and 1919...

@Moley, did you see this?  Not sure if yours is affected, but sharing nonetheless...

https://tisasusa.com/tisas-safety-recall-2024-0001/

recall.jpg

52 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Speaking of Beretta...just got the A300 and I love it!

IMG_5560.thumb.jpg.2f67d27594cd72894de3d3e1f68916a2.jpgIMG_5561.thumb.jpg.fb68ab3c651a88777fd6fc322e43ce75.jpg

Nothing says 'get out of my house' quite like the sound of a shotgun chambering slug.

15 hours ago, FourFans said:

Nothing says 'get out of my house' quite like the sound of a shotgun chambering slug.

Running a mix of slug and Double 00 Buckshot. 

11 hours ago, HeloDude said:

Doesn’t quite sound the same with a semi-auto

It does when it goes boom 🙂

10 hours ago, Smokin said:

Now that's a Beretta I could buy.  Probably similar weight and pattern as the 92...

I love it, the only flaw I've found is the front grips are REALLY rough and spiky.  I shoot using the C Clamp method and minus gloves it will tear your hand up.  Garand Thumb does a great review of this gun and he noted the same.  He suggests you sand it down a bit which I plan to do this weekend. 

Screen Shot 2024-02-01 at 5.51.17 AM.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Running a mix of slug and Double 00 Buckshot. 

It does when it goes boom 🙂

I love it, the only flaw I've found is the front grips are REALLY rough and spiky.  I shoot using the C Clamp method and minus gloves it will tear your hand up.  Garand Thumb does a great review of this gun and he noted the same.  He suggests you sand it down a bit which I plan to do this weekend. 

Screen Shot 2024-02-01 at 5.51.17 AM.png

II bought the COMP to use hunting. Same textured grip. I've found a little more good honest manual labor will roughen the hands and help with gripping 😁😎1301-comp_main.webp