Gun Talk

VL-16

Has anybody ever done the Air Force Excellence in Competition matches? A couple CMP matches here peaked my interest in service rifle competition and I thought it looked like a great way to burn ammo on the gov'ts dime while potentially getting an OPR bullet/uniform bling.

Has anybody ever done the Air Force Excellence in Competition matches? A couple CMP matches here peaked my interest in service rifle competition and I thought it looked like a great way to burn ammo on the gov'ts dime while potentially getting an OPR bullet/uniform bling.

Yes, Ive done it & won. They give you a paper and medal. It's slightly less ridiculous than the qual course, but not by much.

HUH!? Do tell please.

HUH!? Do tell please.

Every base (including Guard) is allowed to have a marksmanship, someone just has to take the initiative to stand it up and run it. With it comes a ridiculous amount of 308/556/9 (I think 22 and shotgun as well) ammo. A friend of mine stood one up at his base and said to watch out for SF, they will try to take it over, tell them to fuck off. You can get some weapons but I guess that brings on additional ass pain. You are required to field a team to compete in a few events a year. It's a little work but worth it to have some ammo on the govt dime. Good job for a LT.

...and then this happens:

Some people are mentioning that it seems the headspace was off. Without doing some research, I'll admit that I have little to no idea what that means. M2?--thoughts??

I know Century had a bad reputation years ago for some crappy work on their builds, though they had seemed to rectify that in more recent years. Still, this below makes me laugh:

century20monkey1.jpg

• Upvote 1

For one, it's the wrong caliber for an AK! :violent-smiley-017:

Headspace is the distance from the bolt face to the chamber face (end of the barrel). When the weapon is fired, the pressure forces the barrel out and up against the barrel pin. If the barrel is not forced up against the pin, when it's fired, the headspace will change and cause a very bad situation.

Midway (and many other places) sell "go/no go" gauges to make sure the headspace is good.

196171.jpg

548202.jpg

Yeah, the look the same to me as well; but If the action closes with the first gage inserted, then the firearm is within acceptable minimum headspace dimensions. If the action closes with the second gage inserted, then the firearm may not be within acceptable maximum headspace dimensions and should be examined further by a knowledgeable gunsmith.

Most builders use both to make sure it's good-to-go! :thumbsup:

...and then this happens:

Some people are mentioning that it seems the headspace was off. Without doing some research, I'll admit that I have little to no idea what that means. M2?--thoughts??

I know Century had a bad reputation years ago for some crappy work on their builds, though they had seemed to rectify that in more recent years. Still, this below makes me laugh:

century20monkey1.jpg

The G3 pattern rifles they built were terrifying.

I saw one while working at a range that was so misaligned in its build you would have though it had been run over by a car. It wouldn't fully cycle so it was almost a bolt action rifle. Absolute garbage, I only hope the guy they owned it stopped shooting it before it grenades on him.

My latest acquisition, a Ruger American Rimfire in .22LR...

RugerAmericanRiflePackage_zps08790f43.jp

Bought barely used with four 10/22 mags, scope, bipod and case. Can't wait to shoot it. Heard great things about these rifles!

Cheers! M2

M2, I have a Ruger American in .30-06 that I took a doe with in 2013. It's a great economy rifle. I'm sure the rimfire variant works just as well. It's pretty nice it will take the 10/22 magazines. You're going to have to buy one of the Ruger BX-25 mags just to use it with your rifle.

Fuck yeah!

On another happy note, this is my 17-yr-old son constantly hitting a basketball-sized gong at 500 yards last Saturday using a bud's (who is spotting him) .223 bolt action Savage.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Smith & Wesson Model 3914 LadySmith

I think I've come to the end of the internet.

I bought the original stainless steel finished version of this 3d generation S&W, the Model 3913NL last spring and wrote a good report on it some pages back.

But I don't like silver guns that much. I'm old and set in my ways.

So discovering a decent deal on the blued/black version, I bought it.

Same cool looking upward rake on the dust cover. Same slim single-stack grip angle that is as good as a 1911's.

Same 8+1 capacity, with the first shot necessarily from double-action, the rest single.

The trigger on this one is better than the 3913's original one. Some pro gunsmith work on the 3913 had fixed that, but this one is good to go upon arrival.

Aluminum frame, steel slide and it's pretty light weight but not compared to the first generation polymer guns that hit at about the same time and dominate the market now. Therefore, S&W quit making their metal semi-autos for the most part. Used or the rare 'barn-find' NIBs are the sole source of them now.

The only complaint I've found in on-line research is dudes didn't like having a pistol that had "LadySmith" engraved on it. I don't mind as it's likely to be a range toy/collectable, not a daily carry, but I wouldn't be bothered by the word. Some of my best friends are ladys...

Good, reliable (500+ so far), modestly-priced semi-auto that would be a good EDC weapon.

Smith & Wesson Model 3914 LadySmith

I think I've come to the end of the internet.

I bought the original stainless steel finished version of this 3d generation S&W, the Model 3913NL last spring and wrote a good report on it some pages back.

But I don't like silver guns that much. I'm old and set in my ways.

So discovering a decent deal on the blued/black version, I bought it.

Same cool looking upward rake on the dust cover. Same slim single-stack grip angle that is as good as a 1911's.

Same 8+1 capacity, with the first shot necessarily from double-action, the rest single.

The trigger on this one is better than the 3913's original one. Some pro gunsmith work on the 3913 had fixed that, but this one is good to go upon arrival.

Aluminum frame, steel slide and it's pretty light weight but not compared to the first generation polymer guns that hit at about the same time and dominate the market now. Therefore, S&W quit making their metal semi-autos for the most part. Used or the rare 'barn-find' NIBs are the sole source of them now.

The only complaint I've found in on-line research is dudes didn't like having a pistol that had "LadySmith" engraved on it. I don't mind as it's likely to be a range toy/collectable, not a daily carry, but I wouldn't be bothered by the word. Some of my best friends are ladys...

Good, reliable (500+ so far), modestly-priced semi-auto that would be a good EDC weapon.

Other than getting rid of my Glock 19 years ago (below in headwork on my part)...getting rid of my "Ladysmith" years before that was a mistake/regret as well. A very well balanced and slim 9mm.

Cheers

ATIS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Might wanna hurry up and get it and stock up on 5.56 before O bans the ammo.

If you're worried X would be banned and you didn't stock up on X beforehand (especially when it was cheap), then you didn't really want X. And I think this order (and it's not for all 5.56 btw, at least not yet) and every other law/order that affects my Right to keep and bear arms is unconstitutional.

So don't wait if there's something you think you might want in the future. Because just like going to the BX/PX in Iraq and Afghanistan, if you see something in stock that you think you 'might' want, you better go buy it because the next day it might not be there and God only knows the next time it will be back.

• 2 weeks later...

Army guys get paid to shoot targets, win competitions, and go to the 2016 Olympics. Seems like a pretty sweet gig.

http://www.defense.gov/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=128329

FORT BENNING, Ga., March 10, 2015 – U.S. Army Marksmanship Unit shotgun shooters led Team USA to gold and bronze medal victories in the Men's Double Trap event March 5 at the 2015 International Shooting Sports Federation Shotgun World Cup in Acapulco, Mexico.

Army Sgt. 1st Class Jeff Holguin [...] won the gold medal.

[...]

The victory earns the United States its second and final Olympic quota slot for Men's Double Trap. Army Sgt. 1st Class Josh Richmond earned the first quota at the 2014 International Shooting Sport Federation World Championship in Granada, Spain. National teams garner slots based on wins at qualifying international marksmanship events.

[...]

The marksmanship unit is part of the U.S. Army Accessions Brigade, Army Marketing and Research Group, and is tasked with enhancing the Army's recruiting effort [...]

• 2 weeks later...