Gun Talk

VL-16

Full Feinstein bill text. Apparently a Mini-14 with a collapsable stock and pistol grip is evil enough to be specifically banned, and a Mini-14 with a standard stock is good enough to be specifically excluded...

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/publ...f-69e69f517fb4

Looks like she wants to ban the Taurus Judge and Rossi Circuit Judge.

Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

The taurus Circuit Judge, and Rossi Circuit Judge are both specifically listed in the OK list.

OK, so much for reading the whole thing... :bash:

I do think the severability clause at the end is pretty humorous though. They specifically acknowledge that they expect some parts to be unconstitutional, so they try to salvage whatever survives the inevitable judicial review.

I do think the severability clause at the end is pretty humorous though. They specifically acknowledge that they expect some parts to be unconstitutional, so they try to salvage whatever survives the inevitable judicial review.

That's pretty standard legislative strategy to CYA in case there are court cases potentally affecting the law in question. Wasn't everyone saying how dumb the authors of Obamacare were that they didn't include or couldn't convince members to pass a severability clause? Generally if you're the author of a bill you want to include severability so in case some (usually) small part of the bill gets invalidated by a court you don't lose the entire thrust of what the legislature was trying to accomplish by passing the bill.

Severability is in many ways a check-and-balance used by the legislature against the power of the judiciary.

p.s. - all this sh*t about Feinstein's bill and the 2nd Amendment discussion should be moved to the Constitution thread.

Edit to add: M&P, Glock 17, or XDm for a full-sized pistol in 9mm? Or something else? CCW is not a factor, price is not a factor per se but maximum value for money is always valid.

Other than "go out and shoot all three and see what you like," any first-hand experience or recommendations are appreciated. :beer:

Edited by nsplayr

p.s. - all this sh*t about Feinstein's bill and the 2nd Amendment discussion should be moved to the Constitution thread.

If you don't mind, I'll do the moderating around here...anim_nutkick.gif

• Upvote 6

Edit to add: M&P, Glock 17, or XDm for a full-sized pistol in 9mm? Or something else? CCW is not a factor, price is not a factor per se but maximum value for money is always valid.

Other than "go out and shoot all three and see what you like," any first-hand experience or recommendations are appreciated. :beer:

You can't go wrong with the Glock, but personally I like my M&P9 (VTAC) better. The XDM is at the bottom of the list IMO.

For me, I've got a old Sig P228 and a new Sig P226. I love them. I'd recommend them to anyone.

I've shot and carried a 228 before and liked it ok, better than the Beretta 92 at least.

I just hear dudes raving over the XD or glocks or whatever (the M&P seems popular too) and I want to know what I'm missing out on. Can't afford nor would I need all three but in lieu of going out and shooting them (sometime soon hopefully...) figured dudes on here probably owned them and could speak to the differences and/or their preferences.

Thanks for your take on getting a steel gun though.

All the plastic guns feel the same to me. I don't like how they shoot.

For me, I've got a old Sig P228 and a new Sig P226. I love them. I'd recommend them to anyone.

Plastic can be fun, but I always go back to steel. I know everyone likes to put down the M9, but I love my 92FS compact. Never had a single reliability problem and always puts holes where I ask it to.

The wife and I have Walther PPQ's in 9mm, we absolutely love them, incredible trigger, very accurate, extremely comfortable to shoot. They are roughly the size of a Glock 19, so on the smaller side. Only real down side is the cost of magazines. Some people don't like the HK style mag release (I actually prefer it) but the newer version that should be available late next month has a traditional button mag release.

We rented it back to back with the M&P 9mm, Glock 17, and Berretta 92FS and the PPQ was the clear favorite (with the M&P 2nd, 92FS was my 3rd/wife's 4th, and the 17 was my 4th/her 3rd) It shot similar to the M&P but with a much better trigger and a more ergonomic grip (we shot it more accurately than the M&P too).

I know concealed isn't a factor, but it is concealable. (any outfit that would conceal a Glock 19 would conceal this).

• Upvote 1

The wife and I have Walther PPQ's in 9mm, we absolutely love them, incredible trigger, very accurate, extremely comfortable to shoot. They are roughly the size of a Glock 19, so on the smaller side. Only real down side is the cost of magazines. Some people don't like the HK style mag release (I actually prefer it) but the newer version that should be available late next month has a traditional button mag release.

We rented it back to back with the M&P 9mm, Glock 17, and Berretta 92FS and the PPQ was the clear favorite (with the M&P 2nd, 92FS was my 3rd/wife's 4th, and the 17 was my 4th/her 3rd) It shot similar to the M&P but with a much better trigger and a more ergonomic grip (we shot it more accurately than the M&P too).

I know concealed isn't a factor, but it is concealable. (any outfit that would conceal a Glock 19 would conceal this).

I'm trading my M&P with Apex Trigger for a Saiga 12 gauge. I always liked how it shot until it started having the accuracy issues that have plagued the M&P. The deciding factor for me is that the slide would go forward about half the time when I reloaded.

I carry a Gen 2 Glock 19 and recommend the earlier generation (2/3) Glocks.

If I was shopping for a new full size right now I'd be looking for a Hk P30 or a PPQ.

• Upvote 1

The department of homeland security wishes to purchase 7,000 5.56 select-fire rifles to give to immigration and customs enforcement employees as "Personal Defense Weapons." They also want 30-round clips to distribute. The summarized justification given is that it is a required safety item to protect employees from physical threats whether on or off duty when law enforcement cannot respond in time. To that end, they describe the rifles as an excellent personal defense weapon, suitable for personal defense use in close quarters.

Edited by HU&W

The department of homeland security wishes to purchase 7,000 5.56 select-fire rifles to give to immigration and customs enforcement employees as "Personal Defense Weapons." They also want 30-round clips to distribute. The summarized justification given is that it is a required safety item to protect employees from physical threats whether on or off duty when law enforcement cannot respond in time. To that end, they describe the rifles as an excellent personal defense weapon, suitable for personal defense use in close quarters.

Can't see to find the justification for on/off duty. Any help....must share!

Thanks

The wife and I have Walther PPQ's in 9mm, we absolutely love them, incredible trigger, very accurate, extremely comfortable to shoot.

I was real close to buying a P99QA from a buddy in the squadron a while back but didn't pull the trigger so to speak. I liked that gun a lot, not sure why I hadn't thought of a Walther 9 again. Probably will add the PPQ to my list, thanks!

• Upvote 1

Glocks are good... Though depending on the coin one wants to spend an HK45 or shopping around online for a used USP might be something else to consider.

HK are some of the best made handguns, period. Between my Glock27 and HK40C I've never found a pistol I like more.

It will not pass. On a lighter note, I got my new 30 round .223 mags in the mail yesterday, only took a month for the Mako Group, but I've got them.....I mean....I threw them in the desert.

Edited by matmacwc
  • Upvote 2

It will not pass. On a lighter note, I got my new 30 round .223 mags in the mail yesterday, only took a month for the Mako Group, but I've got them.....I mean....I threw them in the desert.

Mine arrived yesterday as well. VERY happy with the quality.

I got my buy of Mako mags as well. Haven't shot em yet. But they see to be well made and the anti-tilt followers seem to live up to the description. Interesting note: they made a point of printing the manufacturing date on the side....

Oh good so you might have a slightly better chance convincing the police to let you keep them if the AWB passes.