Gun Talk

VL-16

http://www.foxnews.c...aliber-pistols/

Sticking to their guns: Marines place $22.5M order for the Colt .45 M1911

About fricken time we went back to the 1911 :rock:

As a lover of the 1911 (I have two and working on another), I'm not so sure this was such a good idea. I hope I'm wrong!

Looking at the Kimber Tactical Custom II...anyone have any experience with this one?

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/tactical-ii/tactical-custom-ii

Edited by SocialD

Dang, the last thing I need at the moment is to buy another gun; but a buddy of mine is offering this to me for $150 and it's too tough to pass up on...

IMG_0714.jpg

IMG_0715.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

It's a New Haven 600AT (made by Mossberg and identical to a 500) 12 gauge pump shotgun with 28" barrel with the select choke feature. Gun has been freshly duracoated in HK semi gloss black and has beautiful wood furniture. Runs 3" and 2 3/4" shells.

Anyone ever run one of these before?

Cheers! M2

As a lover of the 1911 (I have two and working on another), I'm not so sure this was such a good idea. I hope I'm wrong!

Looking at the Kimber Tactical Custom II...anyone have any experience with this one?

http://www.kimberame...tical-custom-ii

Curious as to why you would say you don't think it is a good idea. I can see logistical problems with it if your squad is the only one at the FOB with 1911s and also in firefights ammo wouldn't be as interchangeable (but then again I would think you are in some serious sh*t if you are worrying about compatibility of sidearm ammunition). I've never really heard anything good about the beretta, always heard it lacked the stopping power. Yet I've always heard great things about the 1911, especially from those who were in the military when they made the switch to beretta.

I've never really heard anything good about the beretta, always heard it lacked the stopping power. Yet I've always heard great things about the 1911, especially from those who were in the military when they made the switch to beretta.

This about sums up the whole argument. Nostalgia vs data.

I had a Mossberg 500 growing up. It's not the most exciting gun, but ultra-reliable. I have an old bolt action Mossberg with a poly-choke. Some don't like them, but if you have time to toy with it and get the pattern you want, I think it's great. If someone near me offered it to me for $150, I wouldn't blink. Great for the pick-up, under the matress, beside the toilet, etc...

I have a Mossy 500 Persuader, it's my HD weapon of choice. It's the AK of short-barreled shotties!

But this deal was put on hold, the seller decided to hang on to it but promised me first shot at it if he changes his mind. Since we never solidified the deal, i have no problems with that, I really wasn't in the market for a 28" shotgun at the moment anyway...

This about sums up the whole argument. Nostalgia vs data.

To me while I applaud the return to the .45, I don't see the 1911 being the best platform of choice. There are numerous modern .45s available that would be more dependable, lighter, have higher capacities and will require less maintenance than the Browning design.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911s but I don't carry one. I am much more comfortable with my XD with its 13+1 and absolutely perfect record to date with thousands of rounds down the pipe.

I just think there were better options...

Cheers! M2

To me while I applaud the return to the .45, I don't see the 1911 being the best platform of choice. There are numerous modern .45s available that would be more dependable, lighter, have higher capacities and will require less maintenance than the Browning design.

Don't get me wrong, I love my 1911s but I don't carry one. I am much more comfortable with my XD with its 13+1 and absolutely perfect record to date with thousands of rounds down the pipe.

I just think there were better options...

Cheers! M2

Valid point, whether it is the 1911 or another manufacturer I'm glad just to see the return to the .45. The article did mention (I have no direct knowledge of if it is true) that many Spec. Ops. communities have been using the 1911, may have been a contributing factor towards the model chosen.

Curious as to why you would say you don't think it is a good idea.

The 1911 is not as reliable, and requires more TLC, than many of the options out there. Also, they are paying a lot of money for these guns, when they could be getting a more capable weapon, for much less. Like M2 said, I own a few 1911s (planning on buying another one...or two) but I carry my XD45. I think any one of the following would have been a better option.

FNP45

XD45

HK45 http://pistol-traini...m/archives/4027

SIG 226

Some will say Glock as well...I'm just not a fan.

EDIT: Forgot to to talk about mag capacity. While nothing replaces well placed shots, when bullets start flying, this isn't always a reality. While I love the feel of a single stack, I would much rather have a higher capacity mag.

I've never really heard anything good about the beretta, always heard it lacked the stopping power. Yet I've always heard great things about the 1911, especially from those who were in the military when they made the switch to beretta.

The M9 is a decent gun...I just don't care much for it and would much rather have any one of the previously mentioned guns.

The term "knock down power" is more of a myth. Here is an interesting paper on the subject.

http://www.firearmst...df/fbi-hwfe.pdf

Valid point, whether it is the 1911 or another manufacturer I'm glad just to see the return to the .45. The article did mention (I have no direct knowledge of if it is true) that many Spec. Ops. communities have been using the 1911, may have been a contributing factor towards the model chosen.

I like the .45ACP as well, not that the .40 or 9mm are not capable. The SEALs have used the P226 in 9mm for quite a while (although I'm pretty sure they carry whatever they want).

Edited by SocialD

Damn. I keep saying I'm gonna seriously back off on the firearms purchases, and then I see this for sale at the local gun show this morning...

IMG_2844.jpg

IMG_2851.jpg

Well, as you can probably tell by the setting in the above pics, I bought it.

It's a Vz2008, a Century-built version of the Czechoslovak Vz58 rifle; and I got it with a bayonet, sling and cleaning kit for $500 + tax. While similar in appearance to a Kalashnikov, there are no interchangeable parts. The only connection is that it uses the same intermediate round (7.62x39). These are built on milled receivers but still lighter than most AK stamped rifles. It is also more compact. The fixed stock can be easily replaced with a sidefolding one without the modifications an AK requires. Typically they have "composite" furniture (wood impregnated plastic, much like pressboard) but this one has the older and in my opinion more desirable wooden furniture on it. Spent shells are expended upward and the magazines are made out of aluminum and not steel like most AKs.

But since it is a completely different animals than the Kalashnikovs I've gotten used to, I am going to have to learn how it is built and works. Should be fun, but I've heard nothing but great things about these rifles and I've been wanting to get one for years as back in the early 1990s I was on a military liaison team in Bratislava and Trenčín in the former Czechoslovakia and spent some time training with the 3rd Regiment of their Special Forces, who used the Vz58 albeit with the folding stock. I plan on getting one for this rifle since they are simple to install.

Cheers! M2

So a guy ordered a TV off amazon and got a SIG 716

WASHINGTON -

D.C. Police have confirmed to FOX 5 that they are investigating why an Army-style assault rifle was mistakenly mailed to a D.C. man in an online order.

Seth Horvitz says he ordered a flat-screen television from a third party through Amazon.com. He received a package that was left in the hallway outside of his Northeast D.C. apartment Tuesday, but instead of a television, he found a black semi-automatic rifle inside the box.

Unsure about what to do with the rifle, Horvitz says he contacted police about it Tuesday evening. Police confiscated the rifle when they came to his apartment.

"[Police] were a little confused at first, they've never seen anything quite like it," says Horvitz. "They just took my information and then said we'll handle this weapon because it's illegal to keep here. It's illegal to transport in a car, so it can't be returned."

The shipping label on the box had Horvitz's name and address, but the invoice inside the box indicated it should have been shipped to a gun shop in Pennsylvania. We have reached out to Amazon and the third-party seller, and will bring you an update as soon as it becomes available.

D.C. Police also says it is illegal to a transport weapon across the D.C. line.

http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/19221052/dc-man-orders-television-online-receives-rifle-instead

Yep, big shock, most likely I'll be adding one of these to the collection tomorrow...

26549.jpg

Anyone have one? I've read they're great plinkers...

Cheers! M2

Shot one. Didn't like it or buy it. It wasn't very accurate or reliable. Many FTL/FTF. Bought a Browning Buckmark and didn't look back. I also really like my Ruger Mk 1 for full frame 22 shooting. The browning is far more accurate, but I like tool-less strip/clean on the ruger better for carry use.

Yep, big shock, most likely I'll be adding one of these to the collection tomorrow... 26549.jpg Anyone have one? I've read they're great plinkers... Cheers! M2

I've shot one a few times. They're kinda cheap-feeling, but they are pretty cheap at least.

A way better version of that is the Model 87 Target, although it's gonna cost more. I have one for target shooting and I love it!Beretta_87_Target.jpg

Another good one for plinking is the Ruger SR22. It's more in line with the Neos price as well. We picked one up for my wife this summer and it's pretty fun.

ruger_sr22_pistol_for_sale_1.jpg

Actually, while I haven't shot it yet, the Neos feels far from cheap to me for a $200 .22LR pistol. I did check and it had the firing pin replaced under the Beretta recall, and I've broken it down (kind a weird process with the wheel) but for the most part it feels like a solid and sturdy firearm. I did add some white paint to the front sight, and hopefully I'll get some rounds down it this Saturday; but so far I am happy in my initial impressions of the U22. All I wanted was a range plinker, and this fits the bill perfectly...

Cheers! M2

Actually, while I haven't shot it yet, the Neos feels far from cheap to me for a $200 .22LR pistol. I did check and it had the firing pin replaced under the Beretta recall, and I've broken it down (kind a weird process with the wheel) but for the most part it feels like a solid and sturdy firearm. I did add some white paint to the front sight, and hopefully I'll get some rounds down it this Saturday; but so far I am happy in my initial impressions of the U22. All I wanted was a range plinker, and this fits the bill perfectly...

Cheers! M2

I think if I remember right my main gripe with that thing was the trigger just bugged me in some way. But $200 is cheap! I thought they were more in the $300-350 range. Yeah for $200, why the heck not?!

:beer:

I remember a while back reading on here that some of your guys had a SCAR17--just wanted to see if there are any updates on your opinions? Specifically how the stock is holding up and if you're using any after market items?

Also, does anybody have a Krebs AK? I've been researching both the SCAR and Krebs (specifically in 5.45) a lot recently and will probably be purchasing at least one of them in the nex couple of months (and yes, I know they're quite different firearms, hence the two separate questions).

I remember a while back reading on here that some of your guys had a SCAR17--just wanted to see if there are any updates on your opinions? Specifically how the stock is holding up and if you're using any after market items?

Also, does anybody have a Krebs AK? I've been researching both the SCAR and Krebs (specifically in 5.45) a lot recently and will probably be purchasing at least one of them in the nex couple of months (and yes, I know they're quite different firearms, hence the two separate questions).

I have high praise for the SCAR 16 and have been told the 17 surpasses in quality. Truly innovative design. That said, I don't have a high round count so I can't speak to how the stock will be 3 k rounds from now. I don't care for the trigger and I wish aftermarket AR grips installed. I just put a MIAD on my LMT, it makes a difference to me.

I also don't really care about the folding option, just not something I can see myself ever caring about. Neither do I really need the cheek riser, although it works better than I'd expected. Bottom line, amazing weapon with some things I don't need but were well executed. I made a mistake several years ago purchasing a Robinson XCR because i was sold by the description on the Internet & I was reluctant to make a similar mistake with the FN. not the case here at all, this weapon is GTG. The 17 is getting better reports from gov users, although I've not even handled one myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this today. It's my second AR, but first "budget" build:

fc1ksk.jpg

PSA 14.7 LW mid-length CMV MP upper with YHM diamond rail, low profile gas block and pinned YHM-28 5M2 muzzle brake

PSA Gadsden Stripped Lower

PSA LPK

PSA Charging Handle with latch

BCM BCG

Magpul MOE Stock, MBUS, Trigger guard, AFG-2 and MOE Grip

PA Micro Dot