Gun Talk

VL-16

OK, I went to 6 different stores in the OKC metro just to buy some .22 LR. None to be found anywhere. Who is hoarding it? I just wanted to go plinking with my son and could not find any. Is everybody panic buying every time BHO, Cuomo and Bloomberg find a microphone?

Ain't no .22LR to be found anywhere, at least not easily. It's been has tough if not tougher to find that .223 in some places!

And yes, everyone is panic buying, even those of us who no longer own any firearms! Where have you been for the last month?

I just saw a couple deals on 22LR a few days ago....5250 Rounds lose...will try to find the link on my desktop. I did hear there was a big gunshow in Las Vegas (this weekend or next?), and most of the ammo dealers that had stock were going there...supposedly what they didn't sell will be available soon.

I just saw a couple deals on 22LR a few days ago....5250 Rounds lose...will try to find the link on my desktop. I did hear there was a big gunshow in Las Vegas (this weekend or next?), and most of the ammo dealers that had stock were going there...supposedly what they didn't sell will be available soon.

This?

https://www.shopdunns.com/products/2632/federal_745_22lr_36gr_copper_plated_case/

That would be the SHOT Show, which was last week. I wish I could have gone, but know some folks that did. It was a great time from their accounts.

That Federal .22LR is great ammo, I wish it was in stock. I would probably jump on this deal if it was, despite the fact that I don't own any .22LR firearms!

Cheers! M2

Knew some folks that were at SHOT. Rumors are that ammo is backordered six months to a year. AR pattern guns, six months to a year. Popular magazines (AR pattern), a year; meaning that if everyone quits buying now, the last pending orders would be filled about this time next year!

People in the industry are worried that if all this dies down, then the same thing that happened four years ago will happen again...the backorders will get cancelled, as Bubba J ordered the same AR from ten shops and only paid for the first one that came in. The other nine are left in stock. That is considered "bad" for any industry.

Additionally, "buyer's remorse" for those who bought all these guns at 2-3x their normal cost will occur; and the market will be flooded with them trying to recoup their purchase. Obviously that won't happen with such a badly-saturated market, and prices will drop like rocks.

And if ammo doesn't end up being threatened by a ban, it too will flood the market as the bills for those credit cards that were used during the panic start arriving in people's mail.

We saw this rollercoaster ride back in 2008, and many suspect it'll happen again this time around. But then again, it might not as we see more liberal states adopting stricter gun restrictions (such as NY). Like any other market, it's hard to predict what will happen; but it's all a matter of where your interests lie. I loaded up on ammo before the 2008 panic and am still sitting on some. Sure the current price is double of what I paid for it, but its intrinsic value to me is much greater than its monetary value.

All I have to do is recover it from the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico... :moon:

Knew some folks that were at SHOT. Rumors are that ammo is backordered six months to a year. AR pattern guns, six months to a year. Popular magazines (AR pattern), a year; meaning that if everyone quits buying now, the last pending orders would be filled about this time next year!

People in the industry are worried that if all this dies down, then the same thing that happened four years ago will happen again...the backorders will get cancelled, as Bubba J ordered the same AR from ten shops and only paid for the first one that came in. The other nine are left in stock. That is considered "bad" for any industry.

Additionally, "buyer's remorse" for those who bought all these guns at 2-3x their normal cost will occur; and the market will be flooded with them trying to recoup their purchase. Obviously that won't happen with such a badly-saturated market, and prices will drop like rocks.

And if ammo doesn't end up being threatened by a ban, it too will flood the market as the bills for those credit cards that were used during the panic start arriving in people's mail.

We saw this rollercoaster ride back in 2008, and many suspect it'll happen again this time around. But then again, it might not as we see more liberal states adopting stricter gun restrictions (such as NY). Like any other market, it's hard to predict what will happen; but it's all a matter of where your interests lie. I loaded up on ammo before the 2008 panic and am still sitting on some. Sure the current price is double of what I paid for it, but its intrinsic value to me is much greater than its monetary value.

All I have to do is recover it from the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico... :moon:

My brother works for a dealer's rep in sporting goods. He goes to lots of trade shows, including SHOT, this is what he had to say when I asked about the business..

"They are billed after they ship. If 1/4 of what is ordered by the retailers shipped, it will be a miracle.

We did a show for the distributor Big Rock sports the first week of January. The usual total for the show is 30-35 million....this year 300 million was written.

There was show for Ellet Brothers distribution in SC last week. They usually write about 250 million at the show. They wrote over 1 BILLION!

I will be working the Acusport distributor show in Fort Worth next week, and am expecting much of the same.

The shops that get shipped will be rich. The small, newer shops that are lower on the pecking order may go under due to lack of product."

We saw this rollercoaster ride back in 2008, and many suspect it'll happen again this time around.

That's what I'm hoping will happen. Being stationed overseas has made it tough to make the purchases I'd like. I might have to start sending cash my dad's way so he can stock up for me.

If nothing else I need to buy more 10/22 mags. I'm afraid they'll be collateral damage in the high cap mag war.

If nothing else I need to buy more 10/22 mags. I'm afraid they'll be collateral damage in the high cap mag war.

Unfortunately, 10/22 mags (especially the BX-25s) were some of the first targets of the panic buying (along with .22LR ammo)...

As are just the 10/22s themselves. The prices on some of the sites are just ridiculous!

For a .22?! UFB.

Separate but related, I had my eye on a Ruger .44 magnum carbine. Just about the same as the 10/22 in appearance, just in the bigger caliber. They no longer make them and the prices for used good ones used to $500-600.

Now it's hitting $800 and up. Sh1t...

Well, who'd have thought that 22 would be the first to go. I just checked every Walmart, Sportsmans Warehouse, and BX within 20 miles of my house and there's nothing. At each store, they all said that whenever they get any 22 in, people are buying it by the case. Crazy.

ETA: 9mm is also completely unavailable.

Edited by HU&W

Well, who'd have thought that 22 would be the first to go. I just checked every Walmart, Sportsmans Warehouse, and BX within 20 miles of my house and there's nothing. At each store, they all said that whenever they get any 22 in, people are buying it by the case. Crazy.

ETA: 9mm is also completely unavailable.

I stocked up very well in the last couple of years of just about every caliber I shoot...except in .22. I always thought that it would be the most abundant caliber if we had another scare/shortage--the lesson has now been learned.

Additionally, I think the lesson also to be learned is that ammunition is a strong commodity to have as well as having it availavble in an abundance of supply. I think it comes down to those who have and have not, specifically with trading/bordering of ammunition. I actually would be willing to trade some of my .223 and 7.62 for some .22 if the deal was right.

I stocked up very well in the last couple of years of just about every caliber I shoot...except in .22. I always thought that it would be the most abundant caliber if we had another scare/shortage--the lesson has now been learned.

Additionally, I think the lesson also to be learned is that ammunition is a strong commodity to have as well as having it availavble in an abundance of supply. I think it comes down to those who have and have not, specifically with trading/bordering of ammunition. I actually would be willing to trade some of my .223 and 7.62 for some .22 if the deal was right.

I came to the same conclusion today while trying to find a few bricks of my favorite caliber. I can't find it now, but a recent article said that since there are twice as many 22's as all other calibers combined, they account for the majority of shootings. While the article was obviously discussing gun control, the pertinent point is the sheer preponderance of 22lr firearms in the hands of general society. I've always just bought a 500 round brick when I need it for more practice (around 100 left) but never stocked up. This shortage for a simple scare has also proved to me the importance of stocking up on that basic caliber. With the popularity of the round, in a true emergency, 22 ammunition would have great widespread appeal with regard to bartering/currency value. Obviously, such value would be in addition to its true utility.

I can't believe that 22 ammo is going like that. To me this is a sign of just how irrational people are behaving. Anything can happen but 22 ammo seems to be among the safest as far as a type that would face more controls, unless of course more taxes are imposed on all ammo. Walking around gun stores I can't help but laugh at the ignorance of a lot of people who are buying firearms. I've heard everything from, "What kind of ammo do I need to buy for this?" to "How do you load it?" I have even seen people rush to grab a pellet gun off the shelf. A pellet gun!