Jump to content
Guest navobd

Promotion and PRF Information

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Duck said:

That hurt my feelings brother. Why so angry? Did you get passed over but you wanted to stay? If so, I'm sorry man, best of luck in whatever you do in the future.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Considering many want out and are looking at how to get passed over, I think Ducks post was a great addition to that conversation.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Duck said:

Bragging that I got passed over? 

Are you gonna throw yourself a passover party? Get yourself one of those commissary cakes with Captian rank on it!

  • Upvote 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Homestar said:

Are you gonna throw yourself a passover party? Get yourself one of those commissary cakes with Captian rank on it!

Ha ha. Yeah, actually I am. I have a couple buddies who got passed over for O-5 and we talked about throwing a party once I got the news. Whats messed up is that they actually wanted to stay in, get promoted and continue to 20, but apparently the pilot shortage is over, because my wing had a 30% promotion rate to O-5. Now that it is done though, they are starting to see the light.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

I'm beginning to believe there's some ground truth in that statement.  Big MAF has been non-promoting and downplaying the C-130 community for a decade now, and it's showing.  I personally think this is an outflow of some sincere C-130 hate that developed in SWA.  I wish this was hearsay, but got to see it first hand more than once: senior C-17 guys who fostered a deep and seething hatred at the idea that a C-130 might perform better at something than a C-17 (specifically airdrop and LZ efficiency in those conversations).  I love the C-17, and I think we need more of them, but C-130's are better at tacair because that's what they were built for.

Big Blue doesn't agree with that idea.  I didn't believe that sibling rivalry could actually impact this high in the scheme of maneuver, but I'm beginning to think otherwise.

Sorry to hear that the C-130 community is in such a state that dudes are not wanting to promote to O-4.  That says a lot.

Duck, good luck and I'm glad to hear you were able to get what you wanted.

16 months and counting...

FF

A majority of -130 guys at my last base that cross flowed had the biggest knee pads sewed into their bags. Maybe those are the only Herk folks promoted. One of the Sq/CC at Dyess was the biggest anti-establishment/fuck the USAF CGO's we had in the 61st circa 2004 time frame . I'm honestly surprised he even stayed in to make O-5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So what happens next, Duck?  Do you need to ride it out to next year's board, or are there other options for escape?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So what happens next, Duck?  Do you need to ride it out to next year's board, or are there other options for escape?

Unfortunately I'll just ride it out. Since the next board is in December, I expect to be separated and with the ANG by March. So about 8 more months of you guys putting up with my $hit.


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Fatsalmon said:

C-130's at Yokota had a 100% promotion rate, both H's and J's.

Yokota always does well, but that's because it's Yokota and PACAF (vice AMC) and the base really shines.  Also, they sent a handful of 08 guys there for the transition, who were more or less the top of their peers.  The 08 class was always kicking ass at Yokota...i.e. "Hulk" ;) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Azimuth said:

A majority of -130 guys at my last base that cross flowed had the biggest knee pads sewed into their bags. Maybe those are the only Herk folks promoted.

We've already covered this, but those are the type of people we try to get out of the community through programs like Phoenix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Duck said:


Unfortunately I'll just ride it out. Since the next board is in December, I expect to be separated and with the ANG by March. So about 8 more months of you guys putting up with my $hit.


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

When you turn down continuation, your separation date is set 6 months after the public release, no?  Have others successfully requested an earlier separation date?

Edited by Hokie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hokie said:

When you turn down continuation, your separation date is set 6 months after the public release, no?  Have others successfully requested an earlier separation date?

It's no later than 6 months from the release date. You can set one up sooner if you would like. Which I would expect nothing less than that from guys who want out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just signed my declination of continuation sheet. It says "I understand that by declining continuation, I will be separated, effective the last day of the 6th month following approval of the board, under AFI 36-3207, Separating Commissioned Officers, unless I have an earlier voluntary DOS established or after completion of all Health Profession ADSC obligations incurred... blah blah blah"

 What the "board approval" date is, I'm not sure. I'll update when a DOS is in the system.

 

Also every sheet/memo/statement has in big, bold, and underlined letters that if I decline continuation, I am not entitled to Involuntary Separation Pay. Like, they really want you to know that.

 

 

 

 

Edited by xaarman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how deep Big Blue is going to bury the data about the number of pilots turning down continuation. 

That'd be a great slide for the AMC/A1 road show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hokie said:

When you turn down continuation, your separation date is set 6 months after the public release, no?  Have others successfully requested an earlier separation date?

I went from declining continuation to actual separation in 1 month.  The virtual outprocessing checklist can be completed in a couple of days if you're already done with TAPS and the separation physical.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

I wonder how deep Big Blue is going to bury the data about the number of pilots turning down continuation. 

That'd be a great slide for the AMC/A1 road show.

To be honest, I can't see AFPC, HAF/A1 or MAJCOM A1 caring about passed over Captains turning down continuation. They know pilots won't stay Captains unless they're prior enlisted and need it to make retirement. On the AFPC roadshows, a number was used for planned attrition, but I don't recall what it was.

 

However, I could see them caring about how many pilots were passed over in the first place.... but the Defense Officers Personnel Management Act (which mandates up or out and promotion by year group) overrides service specific job requirements. IMHO, nothing will change until Congress changes DOPMA.... and the branches don't want it changed because it's one of the few ways to separate (leaderships view of) underperformers. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So looking at the data for CY 2017A LAF Major compared to 2016 for pilots specifically (since we have a pilot crisis don't ya know!)...

Summary

2017: 93.1% selection IPZ, 21.8% APZ

2016: 94.4% selection, 10.6% APZ

Details

PDE complete and DP = 100% both years

PDE complete and P 2017: 76% selection IPZ (182/239), 10% APZ (8/84)

PDE complete and P 2016: 83% selection IPZ (199/241), 20% APZ (17/87)

BL: Pilots in the rank of Captain were less competitive for promotion to Major this board than last board

For all other categories (CSO, ABM, Non-Rated Ops, & Mission Support) across the board all categories were more promotable in 2017 than in 2016 save for a 1-man-less erosion for APZ CSOs.

Super Double BL: the AF in as clear of terms as possible is demonstrating to pilots that they are not any more specifically wanted/needed at the rank of Major now during this "crisis" even compared to last year and 2015. Take action appropriately when considering outside opportunities.

Edit to add: to not sound too alarmist, the movements were relatively small. 24 pilots passed over who would have been promoted at last year's rate. And 19 of them can possibly be explained away by a 2% higher DP allocation rate, meaning DP is more important than ever in order to be promoted. 

Factor in the handful of Ducks that were clearly promotable but took themselves out of the running and maybe there ya have it.

Interpret the data how you will...my takeaway is that the AF is treating things like business as usual where the rubber meets the road, yet is talking like we're in some kind of pilot retention crisis. It's almost as if management's words don't match their actions...weird.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just found out that an earlier separation date is at the discretion of your commander. I'm hoping to be out pretty quickly, but our unit is hurting for bodies, so I'm wondering how this plays out.

For those wondering, an earlier separation date has no effect on separation pay, unless you end up not making the minimum service required to qualify for the pay. Since they set my date for 31 December, there are no tax reasons for waiting the full 6 months, so I'm going to press for an early separation.

Sent from my Vitamix 450x Professional using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't going to post, but curiosity has gotten the better of me. Duck, aren't you worried about taking the rather drastic steps you're taking to get out of your commitment early affecting your transition to the ANG? If I was on the hiring board, I know I'd get a raised eyebrow with all the stuff you've said you did. 

And please don't just go "no". I'm seriously interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

I wasn't going to post, but curiosity has gotten the better of me. Duck, aren't you worried about taking the rather drastic steps you're taking to get out of your commitment early affecting your transition to the ANG? If I was on the hiring board, I know I'd get a raised eyebrow with all the stuff you've said you did. 

And please don't just go "no". I'm seriously interested.

he had better be sure he can get out of any remaining ADSCs.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
he had better be sure he can get out of any remaining ADSCs.... 

All ADSCs are negated when you decline continuation.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I wasn't going to post, but curiosity has gotten the better of me. Duck, aren't you worried about taking the rather drastic steps you're taking to get out of your commitment early affecting your transition to the ANG? If I was on the hiring board, I know I'd get a raised eyebrow with all the stuff you've said you did. 

And please don't just go "no". I'm seriously interested.

Good question. Before I did any of this I had previously tried to Palace Chase back to my home ANG unit, you know back when we had too many pilots... I had already been hired with a Position Number way back then which they have kept open for me. Along the way I made it clear to them my intentions and they have been super cool with it all. Eventually I will need a waiver but right now they aren't having any problems with it. It also helps that my Guard unit is one of the few true Guard units left. The hatred for all things AD is still strong there, however they did just recently start wearing flight caps outside (all good things eventually come to an end). Still no saluting and all first name basis, including the Two-Star down at State HQ. All in all they have all been suooirtive with it (leadership included) and even said to expect my promotion to O-4 shortly after I arrive (whether true or not, I really don't care). In fact several in leadership there now were twice passed over Capts. Their main point is they want someone they don't mind hanging out/partying with for the next 10-20 years.

 

Life is good man.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Duck said:

Good question. Before I did any of this I had previously tried to Palace Chase back to my home ANG unit, you know back when we had too many pilots... I had already been hired with a Position Number way back then which they have kept open for me. Along the way I made it clear to them my intentions and they have been super cool with it all. Eventually I will need a waiver but right now they aren't having any problems with it. It also helps that my Guard unit is one of the few true Guard units left. The hatred for all things AD is still strong there, however they did just recently start wearing flight caps outside (all good things eventually come to an end). Still no saluting and all first name basis, including the Two-Star down at State HQ. All in all they have all been suooirtive with it (leadership included) and even said to expect my promotion to O-4 shortly after I arrive (whether true or not, I really don't care). In fact several in leadership there now were twice passed over Capts. Their main point is they want someone they don't mind hanging out/partying with for the next 10-20 years.

 

Life is good man.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Tankers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From AFPC site:

"Officers are positioned for promotion sequence based on the following criteria, applied in the order listed:

-Current Grade Date of Rank
-Previous grade date of rank, if applicable
-Total Active Federal Commissioned Service
-Total Federal Commissioned Service
-Regular officers will precede Reserve officers. Regular officers will rank among themselves based on date of Presidential nomination for appointment as a Regular officer
-Regular Air Force acceptance date; based on the date of the Air Force Form 133, Oath of Office
-Graduates of Service academies, appointed as Regular officers and assigned the same date of rank, on the active duty list in order of their graduation class standing
-Date of birth, with the earliest date taking precedence
-Reverse social security number, with the lowest number taking precedence"

From the looks of other Major selects TAFCS seemed to play the biggest part putting all the pilot types towards the end thanks to our six month "vacation".


Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a page on Mypers that gives a rundown

date of rank, date of ADSC, goes all the way down to last 4 of your SSN in reverse order if there's a tie.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×