Baseops Forums
Toro

Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

On February 1, 2016 at 2:42 PM, brabus said:

One thing I and a few other bros have noticed (we're not the first, I'm sure) is when given an opportunity to talk relatively frankly with a GO about the AF/why dudes hate it and want to get out, they flat out refuse to believe the AF is different than when they were CGOs/FGOs.  Even when presented with facts and emotionless arguments, they clearly maintain the memory of what it was like for them as a Lt/Capt/Maj and how it has to be the same now; everyone younger than them are just a bunch of pussies, don't have "the big picture," etc.  I'm all for a backhand of reality to whiners, but you can't ride the "you're being a pussy" train because you're presented with facts that don't support your side of the story.  This whole issue might see better traction if senior leadership started believing it's CGOs/FGOs on the state of the AF instead of being the incredibly out of touch old guy who refused to open his eyes after 1995.

Didn't know you had the "opportunity" to talk to McDew...

Edited by Azimuth

I originally posted this in the military cuts thread, but the tanker clown music overshadowed it.

Anybody have insight into this verbiage from the NDAA?

Posted Sunday at 8:28 AM

From the text:

REPORT.—Not later than February 1, 2016, the Secretary of Defense shall submit to the congressional defense committees a report setting forth the empirical case for an increase in special and incentive pay for aviation officers in order to address a specific, statistically-based retention problem with respect to such officers. The report shall include the results of a study, conducted by the Secretary in connection with the case, on a market-based compensa-tion approach to the retention of such officers that considers the pay and allowances offered by commercial airlines to pilots and the propensity of pilots to leave the Air Force to become commercial airline pilots. 

Great. About 5 yrs too late...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wg/CC at my base is meeting with bonus eligibles, initials, earlys, and 2yr earlys to discuss the ARP. Maybe Wg/CC's per that verbiage above have to help write said report. I've never heard of an O-6 sitting down with aircrew to ask these questions. Much less the damn wing CC.

Any other Wg/CC's out there having a sit down to find out why no one wants to sink with the ship?

Wg/CC at my base is meeting with bonus eligibles, initials, earlys, and 2yr earlys to discuss the ARP. Maybe Wg/CC's per that verbiage above have to help write said report. I've never heard of an O-6 sitting down with aircrew to ask these questions. Much less the damn wing CC.

Any other Wg/CC's out there having a sit down to find out why no one wants to sink with the ship?

Curious if he's meeting with takers and non-takers in the eligible pool.

1 hour ago, Herkasaurus said:

Isn't there a reason why the senior rater is not supposed to know who are the takers and the non-takers?  This statement brings me back to the old-heads who talked about being kicked to the side for not taking the bonus in the 90s because they "showed their cards."

Isn't there a reason why the senior rater is not supposed to know who are the takers and the non-takers?  This statement brings me back to the old-heads who talked about being kicked to the side for not taking the bonus in the 90s because they "showed their cards."

Where did you hear that? The takers and non takers are identified within AMS. The feet on the ramp policy was an AF policy...not individual senior raters taking any action.

7 hours ago, Champ Kind said:

One of the emails that was resent  had a dude's name taken off of it since he already took the bonus. It was weird cause the list has a few prior E's on there who I thought weren't bonus eligible. I assume it's an AMS pull of everyone who hasn't taken the bonus. But I don't have a damn clue, I just see the email traffic and wonder while I wait for my parole. 

I assume the meeting is so he can tell everyone about the quality of life changes that the Air Force is about to make to improve pilot retention.

• Upvote 1

Everything bad is temporary.

You can only change things if you want to stay in.

Don't be greedy or selfish. Haven't you heard of our second core value, Service Before Self? Nobody joined the military to get rich. I can't be the only one who joined for the honor and privilege of serving my country.

You all took an oath.

Am I missing any?

Edited by xaarman
  • Upvote 2

You forgot, "We don't really understand why people are leaving. Can you give us feedback (yet again) so we may make real, lasting change at the Air Force level?"

• Upvote 2

One of the emails that was resent  had a dude's name taken off of it since he already took the bonus. It was weird cause the list has a few prior E's on there who I thought weren't bonus eligible. I assume it's an AMS pull of everyone who hasn't taken the bonus. But I don't have a damn clue, I just see the email traffic and wonder while I wait for my parole. 

The provision in the bonus contract that previously limited prior-Es due to total time in service at end of their UPT commitment was changed with this year's program.

13 hours ago, Herk Driver said:

Where did you hear that? The takers and non takers are identified within AMS. The feet on the ramp policy was an AF policy...not individual senior raters taking any action.

Copy, thanks for the clarification.

10 hours ago, xaarman said:

Everything bad is temporary.

You can only change things if you want to stay in.

Don't be greedy or selfish. Haven't you heard of our second core value, Service Before Self? Nobody joined the military to get rich. I can't be the only one who joined for the honor and privilege of serving my country.

You all took an oath.

Am I missing any?

I joined to serve my country not get rich, however I also joined an organization that touts integrity first but has a horrendous toxic leadership problem. Everything bad is only temporary if those in the leadership positions with the power to change it actually care, so far senior leadership seems content to keep their head buried in the sand as people run for the exits. People are bailing this ship left and right and nobody is asking why because they hold to the idiotic mentalities of "if you don't like it get out" or "there's always someone to take your place". Most people are tired of being deployed to fight a war with no long term strategy or staring down the barrel of a 365 after years gone already because nobody will throw the bullshit flag on useless or obsolete deployed billets. I'm tired of hearing my career field is overmanned and watch AFPC make forces cuts like a bull in a china shop, while I'm left trying to fill lines with no bodies available or quick turn the crew to their 2nd or 3rd trip in a row because there's literally nobody else. I watch my tanker bros come home from a 60 day deployment to turn right back out to another 60 day deployment a month later. I'm tired of leaders who refuse to step up and tell Congress we don't have the people and funding to perform the missions they task us with, while watching those same people bend over backwards day in and day out to ensure the mission doesn't fail while hoping that help is just around the corner.

I'm proud to wear my uniform on a daily basis but that doesn't mean there isn't a problem with our organization and it is most certainly not above scrutiny.

Edited by Fuzz
  • Upvote 5

Definitely man, sometimes sarcastic tones doesn't translate well over the internets.

Edited by xaarman

1 hour ago, xaarman said:

Definitely man, sometimes sarcastic tones doesn't translate well over the internets.

My apologies, further proof for the need of a sarcasm font. The sarcasm mirrors reality so closely now a days, its hard to tell the difference.

• Upvote 1

It's just a job. The Air Force is just a business. This way I don't get my feels hurt when the Air Force does stupid stuff.

• Upvote 3

On 2/21/2016 at 6:21 AM, Jaded said:

You forgot, "We don't really understand why people are leaving. Can you give us feedback (yet again) so we may make real, lasting change at the Air Force level?"

Soon after the last rounds of RIF/VSP mass exodus, some people came from the NAF to ask those of us still in what our thoughts were on the current state of the AF.   Someone from the squadron told the NAF folks that the AF missed a golden opportunity by not asking the VSPers why they wanted to get out.  This was met with the deer in the headlights look from the visitors.   Probably because of the reasons listed above.  Quitters!

1 hour ago, Butters said:

Retire in December. I will let you know.

Not if stop loss gets here first. 

Nope, can't do both! Well, I could go to one then the other... Long story short I may not be able to work at BT&E due to Nepotism rules. Good, because if that is the case the Boeing check that goes in our account is getting bigger. My choice to do airlines now rests on the fact we want a bigger boat. I can be a QOL guy and make that happen. If I go stay at home dad I have to keep my 45 foot boat. Choices... Oh, and there was a 7 hour line for United at NGPA, thought the airlines would have hired all these pilots by now? PNW Aviation conference had over 600 people taking to Alaska trying to get 80-130 jobs. Pilots shortages suck. 

When I asked "where is butters", this is exactly what I was looking for.

• Upvote 2