Baseops Forums

Posted (edited)

Who would have thought Afghan pilots would bail on their country for US foot longs and a little Netflix and chill?

Since one of their female pilots was granted asylum. Wouldn't the Taliban just go after her family? The US closed the bring all your family to the US loophole I thought.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/05/02/afghan-pilot-training-ends-after-almost-half-went-awol-in-america/

Edited by Shazaam

Posted (edited)

I work with a guy who’s father was killed because he was an interpreter for the Army in Afghanistan (from Kabul). He got an expedited temporary visa because the Taliban found out he was working for the Army and started calling his house and found his work number and threatening to kill him, his wife, and kid. Obviously if it’s not for nefarious reasons, I don’t blame those that defected knowing they could lose their lives for just interacting or being trained by Americans.

He’s taking his citizenship test laster this year, just had another kid, and bought his first house. If there is someone that loves being in America, it’s him. Sometimes we just don’t realize how good we have it to be naturally born Americans. It takes hearing stories like that to make us realize that despite the internal turmoil that this country has, it’s still the greatest one on the planet.

Edited by Sua Sponte
  • Like 3

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/sen-lindsey-graham-abandoning-afghanistan-would-pave-way-for-another-9-11

According to Trump, peace talks are dead. I never thought that making a deal with the Taliban would be the answer to the "how to leave Afghanistan" question. I don't necessary agree with the above article on how abandoning all hope would pave the way for another 9-11. 

Interested in what anybody else on here thinks or has to say. 

55 minutes ago, tac airlifter said:

I think it’s well past time to GTFO.

Another article talking about what happens if when we leave.  Will Afghanistan remain stable, will it crumble,  will it be someplace in between, etc.

This part below was news to me though.  Can't help but think "what might have been," had we declared victory back in 2001, handed things over to the Taliban with a stern warning to not f-it-up, or else, and gone home. 

At the end of 2001, just months after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, the Taliban reached out to the U.S. with a proposal: They would agree to renounce al Qaeda, stop fighting and join power-sharing talks.

President George W. Bush, like the country at large, was in no mood for negotiating with the regime that had given shelter to Osama bin Laden and his followers. The Bush administration scuttled a reconciliation deal that the Taliban had struck with the country’s interim leader, Hamid Karzai, vetoed the Islamist movement’s participation in the Bonn peace conference and killed or imprisoned Taliban leaders.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/can-the-new-afghanistan-survive-americas-exit-11569596722?mod=hp_lead_pos11

Edited by Blue