Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

F-35 Lightning info

1 hour ago, Blue said:

Doesn’t surprise me, but source?

Article on deficiencies:

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/06/12/the-pentagon-is-battling-the-clock-to-fix-serious-unreported-f-35-problems/

Like Brabus, I think getting the F-35 right is the best outcome but LM getting a correction vector in the form of a truncated buy might be necessary.

As to the F-35 replacing the Eagle, maybe if they could optimize the outline for lower drag.  

Longer fuselage, lower cross-section with a slightly taller airframe, additional third weapons/mission bay forward of the existing two, finback conformal fuel tank, etc... if this variant were ever designed/built I would base off the A model to attempt to maximize commonality between the two to mitigate one of the major problems of variant incompatibility with parts/sub-systems. 

Lower drag, two more missiles, a bit more gas.  Japan might be interested in this as they have expressed interest in a 22/35 hybrid, this would not be exactly that but an air dominance focused variant, close enough.

They don’t need a new plane, they need to significantly reduce the fuck ups, timelines for delivery of future capes, etc. The product and it’s future growth are good, the management, delivery and support process of said product/future growth is what’s insanely fucked up. That’s what Goldfein is addressing. 

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, brabus said:

They don’t need a new plane, they need to significantly reduce the ups, timelines for delivery of future capes, etc. The product and it’s future growth are good, the management, delivery and support process of said product/future growth is what’s insanely ed up. That’s what Goldfein is addressing. 

Source? Other than Pierre Sprey?

10 hours ago, brabus said:

They don’t need a new plane, they need to significantly reduce the fuck ups, timelines for delivery of future capes, etc. The product and it’s future growth are good, the management, delivery and support process of said product/future growth is what’s insanely fucked up. That’s what Goldfein is addressing. 

Copy.  Agreed un-fornicating that which exists now is preferable (cost/risk/timing/possible) but... if restarting the Raptor line is a NO GO, then while the 35 line is open, exploring what is possible (perhaps not practical) would be wise IMHO.

A reverse of the process that developed the A-7 from the F-8.

• Upvote 1

Of course they’re always looking at and planning future upgrades/changes as technology becomes usable and we have the money to do it. F-35s rolling off the line today will be very different down the road. So again, there is no logical need to look into a replacement jet (sans Goldfein’s veiled threat to LM). New aircraft research in this case is wisely spent on 6th gen, which is entirely different than what you’re proposing.

On 9/1/2019 at 10:25 AM, Clark Griswold said:

Article on deficiencies:

https://www.defensenews.com/air/2019/06/12/the-pentagon-is-battling-the-clock-to-fix-serious-unreported-f-35-problems/

Like Brabus, I think getting the F-35 right is the best outcome but LM getting a correction vector in the form of a truncated buy might be necessary.

As to the F-35 replacing the Eagle, maybe if they could optimize the outline for lower drag.  

Longer fuselage, lower cross-section with a slightly taller airframe, additional third weapons/mission bay forward of the existing two, finback conformal fuel tank, etc... if this variant were ever designed/built I would base off the A model to attempt to maximize commonality between the two to mitigate one of the major problems of variant incompatibility with parts/sub-systems. 

Lower drag, two more missiles, a bit more gas.  Japan might be interested in this as they have expressed interest in a 22/35 hybrid, this would not be exactly that but an air dominance focused variant, close enough.

Exactly. Part of the problem with the -35 in the first place was the "joint strike fighter" moniker - Congress forced the services to get the same plane... because joint. AF wanted to replace the Viper, Navy the Hornet, and Marines the Harrier. The common fuselage design + the big VTOL fan for the Marines resulted in a bigger fuselage than needed for everyone.

On 9/2/2019 at 11:22 AM, magnetfreezer said:

Exactly. Part of the problem with the -35 in the first place was the "joint strike fighter" moniker - Congress forced the services to get the same plane... because joint. AF wanted to replace the Viper, Navy the Hornet, and Marines the Harrier. The common fuselage design + the big VTOL fan for the Marines resulted in a bigger fuselage than needed for everyone.

All true but here we are and there is no turning back from acquiring the F-35 nor should there be any attempt to abruptly stop procurement but I think there is a reasonable amount of room for a serious debate on whether or not to buy the full lot.

Which is what the chief is threatening to LM...fix your shit or I’ll rec to congress to cut the buy significantly and spend the money with Boeing. 

8 hours ago, brabus said:

Which is what the chief is threatening to LM...fix your shit or I’ll rec to congress to cut the buy significantly and spend the money with Boeing. 

This maybe related to that idea:

https://www.defensenews.com/smr/defense-news-conference/2019/09/04/controversial-changes-coming-soon-in-air-forces-next-budget-its-top-civilian-says/

Probably more aimed at older systems vice one in procurement but it's possible.

Edited by Clark Griswold

On 9/1/2019 at 1:58 PM, FutureRaptor said:

Source? Other than Pierre Sprey?

Those of us actively in the program.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/4/2019 at 6:03 AM, brabus said:

.fix your shit or I’ll rec to congress to cut the buy significantly and spend the money with Boeing. 

And we threat Boeing that LM will be making KC-46?