T-6 Down at Laughlin

ExBoneOSO

Just read this on AF.mil - hope he/she/they got out OK..

T-6 down at DLF

9/24/2010 - LAUGHLIN AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFNS) -- A T-6A Texan II assigned here crashed at about 11:16 a.m. Sept. 24 near Spofford, Texas.

The aircraft was on a routine training mission, and the condition of the crew is not known at this time.

A board of officers will investigate the accident, and more information will be released as it becomes available.

The T-6A Texan II is a single-engine, two-seat primary trainer designed to train Joint Primary Pilot Training students in basic flying skills.

Word is it was a formation flight, but the other aircraft wasn't involved. Both guys are back on base at the hospital for checkout but apparently no serious injuries.

VERY glad to hear it. Moderators, perhaps you could add this information and the date to the tagline?

Here is a pic from the KSAT website. Looks like the plane is mostly intact from the looks of the pic. Will be very interesting to hear about this at some point.

I can see it now....

un-informed news expert: "well as you can see, the wings are not attached to the main body and must have failed in flight"

Edited by contraildash

VERY glad to hear it. Moderators, perhaps you could add this information and the date to the tagline?

Thanks!

I can see it now....

un-informed news expert: "well as you can see, the wings are not attached to the main body and must have failed in flight"

Later in the broadcast: Looks like some sort of cargo aircraft. The A-6 is a Vietnam-era attack aircraft with a single pilot...

• 5 months later...

No cutoff guard / throttle gate in the T-6?

There is. And students are taught from day one in the SIM not to drape hand over throttle in off chance they lift it up. I have no idea how an IP could have cut it off, the cutoff guard is pretty far out of the way - not even sure how you could do it accidentally. I'm as interested to hear how you could damage the engine in a restart attempt to permanently disable it. My T6 systems knowledge has been completely dumped...

There is. And students are taught from day one in the SIM not to drape hand over throttle in off chance they lift it up. I have no idea how an IP could have cut it off, the cutoff guard is pretty far out of the way - not even sure how you could do it accidentally. I'm as interested to hear how you could damage the engine in a restart attempt to permanently disable it. My T6 systems knowledge has been completely dumped...

I've never flown the T-6 but I have flown a fair amount of TP time. One good way to kill the engine on an air start is to get the fuel flowing before you get the ignition on, or flowing at too great a rate before you light it. It can burn or even melt the turbine blades, combustion cans, or other sensitive components. I saw a guy totally melt the back end of an OV-10's engine that way.

I have no idea what happened in this case, but I'm sure its possible if you get the air/gas/fire combination out of sequence or out of balance.

I had to look this up but the boldface for an immediate air re-start is

PCL-OFF

STARTER SWITCH-AUTO/RESET

PCL-IDLE, ABOVE 13% N1

Somone else can post the exact warning but bad shit happens if you go immediately from OFF to IDLE.

2 on it being pretty hard to lift over the gate accidentally.

Not if the IP was a former -37 guy. They lost one at Randolf with two very experienced IP's on it for this reason.

T-37 flap lever = T-6 throttle cutoff

I get your point but it doesn't seem to apply to this phase of flight i.e. moving the flaps during a rejoin.

There are many other factors in this incident that were released:

IP GK knowledge was poor

Improper BF procedures

Improper application of ORM-321

Engine was shutdown by the IP due to rapid reduction to idle during a straight-ahead rejoin.

I also heard that the IP over flew several field that he was on profile for and that the student "saved the day" by "suggesting" that the crew eject at ~500' AGL vs. the mandatory 2000' AGL FL ejection.

I get your point but it doesn't seem to apply to this phase of flight i.e. moving the flaps during a rejoin.

Oh very good point, didn't realize they were on a rejoin. I have no idea wtf he was doing then.

You can flame the T-6 out by a rapid reduction to idle?

Could you link to the full report?

Never heard of it happening before. And if so, this would be much more prevalent with all the stud's panic stopping on rejoins. Hell, I can't even count how many times I would go idle/boards on a rejoin...probably every rejoin I did on my first handful of form flights. Multiply that by...all of UPT and if it was an issue with the PT6 then there would be T-6's falling out of the sky at a very rapid rate.