Latest Movies

B*D*A

I watched Cold Blue and also recommend it.   It addressed one pet peeve I’ve had for a long time.

In every movie that has B-17s the pilots enter the cockpit by doing a pull up flip into the belly hatch.   I can’t really see that as something someone would really do.

In my copy of printed version of master it says occasionally someone would do that to show off.

In Cold Blue they show several crew members, in full battle rattle going into that hatch.  Using portable stairs.

13 hours ago, JimNtexas said:

I watched Cold Blue and also recommend it.   It addressed one pet peeve I’ve had for a long time.

In every movie that has B-17s the pilots enter the cockpit by doing a pull up flip into the belly hatch.   I can’t really see that as something someone would really do.

In my copy of printed version of master it says occasionally someone would do that to show off.

In Cold Blue they show several crew members, in full battle rattle going into that hatch.  Using portable stairs.

Way back when, 1972-ish, , my dad was stationed in England and one of his fellow Chiefs was a former B-17 radio operator in WW2.  I was 9 or 10 and he was talking about the "doing the pull up" to enter the airplane and said it was complete BS.  Nobody did it.

Side story:  Local English lovers of birds had given the B-17 radio operators messenger pigeons.  Not sure how often they used them, why they used them, etc. but they occasionally used them.  The instructions were to put the message on the bird, put the bird into a paper bag cut down on one side, go to the waist gunner window, and throw the bag with the bird DOWN where the bag would open, the bird would fly out and then fly home.  One day, he wonders what happens if you throw the bag with the bird UP which he does and the bag with the bird splatters on the rudder.  He didn't have the heart to tell the poor guy he killed his bird.  Anyway, that was one story he relayed to me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, TreeA10 said:

Way back when, 1972-ish, , my dad was stationed in England and one of his fellow Chiefs was a former B-17 radio operator in WW2.  I was 9 or 10 and he was talking about the "doing the pull up" to enter the airplane and said it was complete BS.  Nobody did it.

Side story:  Local English lovers of birds had given the B-17 radio operators messenger pigeons.  Not sure how often they used them, why they used them, etc. but they occasionally used them.  The instructions were to put the message on the bird, put the bird into a paper bag cut down on one side, go to the waist gunner window, and throw the bag with the bird DOWN where the bag would open, the bird would fly out and then fly home.  One day, he wonders what happens if you throw the bag with the bird UP which he does and the bag with the bird splatters on the rudder.  He didn't have the heart to tell the poor guy he killed his bird.  Anyway, that was one story he relayed to me.

So much history there.  We PL'd in the backyard of a guys house in Suffolk.  Shut down and the guy came out.  Old old guy in full old british guy wear.  I walk up to him apologizing for landing in his back yard and he was grinning from ear to ear.  Sat and talked with him while waiting for maintenance to show up.  His dad was a milkman who wasn't medically cleared.  He would talk about how his dad gave him milk to bring to the boys before they would go fly in the early mornings.  

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1