Gun Talk

VL-16

Stopped by Randolph's gun counter this morning, it's nice to see another BX with firearms but honestly I have yet to see any decent prices at any of them. The Springfield Range Officer they had is about a hundred bucks more than what I've seen everywhere else, an a magazine for a Sig Mosquito was fifty bucks. No thanks!

I also stopped by the Liberty Gun Show at the Live Oak Civic Center and can tell you it's not worth the time either. It's about 300 tables and over half are accessories or non-firearms-related items. Plenty of knives if you're interested, but not as many actual guns.

If you're in the SA area the best gun show is the Premier Original San Antonio Gun Show at the Freeman Expo Hall next to the AT&T Center. The only problem is it's only every other month or so, but there's about a 1000 tables so it's definitely worth going to!

We've also got the SAXET Gun Show the first weekend of every month over at the SA Event Center (Marbach and 410) which has about 800 tables. It's not quite as good as Premier, but we still go on a regular basis.

Cheers! M2

M2, if you are truly interested in the Range Officer, the BX will usually price match their firearms to what the local businesses are selling their firearms for. Then you'll pay the base price without tax.

Edited by Timbonez

M2, if you are truly interested in the Range Officer, the BX will usually price match their firearms to what the local businesses are selling their firearms for. Then you'll pay the base price without tax.

In my experience, local businesses can rarely match the prices of online gun stores. Why pay more?

I'll have to check into that, I wonder what proof they need to match a price...

I'll have to check into that, I wonder what proof they need to match a price...

If it works like their electronics they simply make a phone call to verify the price and that's it. Had them knock about $80 off a Mac and still saved on taxes this way. It seemed way too easy. Hopefully their firearms work similarly.

In my experience, local businesses can rarely match the prices of online gun stores. Why pay more?

While this is almost always true, and why I usually buy my guns online, there are plenty of reasons why people buy locally. The same can be said of other merchandise as well. The fact that the BX price matches and you don't pay tax provides for a good deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had the opposite experience and been told that guns and ammo are the one category of merchandise they don't match. YMMV

Saw this on the AK Files, it's a new site started as a hobby by a couple of programmers who are paying for the servers/hosting/etc. entirely out of their own pocket. There is not a single ad or even a donate button on the site, they're providing it as a free tool for other gun enthusiasts...

http://www.gunwatcher.com/

Cheers! M2

Picked up a FEG AMD-65 this morning from a gun shop up near Waco. It was a six-hour round trip but it was well worth it!

IMG_6823_zpsf4cd9f9b.jpg

That's just a Russian sling I threw on it as I hate not having one on my rifles, I don't have the correct one for an AMD so that'll give me something to look for at the next gun show!

Once I've got one on it, into the Gulf of Mexico she goes! :thumbsup:

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1

Smith & Wesson Model 642 Airweight

691961_01_lnib_s_w_airweight_model_642_w

note: note my photo/not my gun (sorry for the adertising link displayed)

Finally got my wife to finish up her CCW paperwork and get that taken care of. The final product of that process was taking her to the range this morning to fire her new S&W Model 642 Airweight complete with the pink after-market Hogue grip like this one pictured.

First the specs:

.38 special +P five round revolver

Barrel - 1.875 inches

Overall length - 6.31 inches

Weight - 15 oz (unloaded)

Double action only

Second the ammo used on a standard B27 target at 3 yards/9 feet:

50 rounds of Blazer Brass 125gr. FMJ

20 rounds of Buffalo Bore 125 gr JHP, low velocity, low flash

The range used was intentionally kept close because that is what this revolver is for; close-in, bad guy about to grab you, stick it in his belly and pull action.

The sights are a fixed blade front sight with a grooved upper portion of the frame serving as the rear sights. In short, they suck. But, again, this is a close-in, point it gun, not a competition piece.

My wife, to her credit, was pretty good. Retired USAF REMF, she had shot the M9 3-4 times in her career and a Walther P22 .22LR with me a few more times. But she's got good eye-hand coordination and she put everything inside the 8 ring today.

Her complaint was how heavy the trigger pull was/is which I concur with, but again, it serves the purpose of you won't accidentally pull this trigger. You have to seriously mean it. She wanted her first carry weapon to be hammerless/smooth so that snagging on anything would be minimimzed. This S&W fits the bill for that as well. It is damn light and damned easy to carry concealed even with swapping the tiny factory-original two-finger grip for the three-finger Hogue grip.

So for concealiability and reliability, I score it very high.

But it is a punishing MF'er to shoot. Her enthusiasm light flickered off after the first 5 rounds. At only 15 oz (that's less than 1 lb for the fellow Poli Sci majors), there is nothing to absorb the recoil except one's hand.

After 20 rounds of the Blazer ammo and five of the Buffalo Bore, I really had to cajole her to at least shoot the rest of the actual carry Buffalo Bore ammo. I guilted her by saying "you wanted to carry, you should at least be familar with how the SHTF ammo is going to feel."

But having shot the remaining 30 rounds of practice ammo and five of the self-defense rounds, I was pretty much done with it as well. It is not fun to shoot. I couldn't imagine loading up +P in this thing for any range time. And to contemplate the ultra-lightweight .357s and .44s out there, well, ouch is all I can say. And I like .44s but they need to have some weight to 'em.

But for the daily carry, this is a pretty good starter piece. Reliability of a revolver, extreme light weight for daily carry, with a long history for a proven round, I am comfortable with her carrying this. Haven't convinced her, yet, to carry on body; she is going with a purse holster option, but it's a start.

And she has promised that she'd go to the range with me at least once a month to fire a box of practice stuff through the little S&W.

Maybe, like my XDS which was a tough little f'er to shoot for long at first, it will get easier with practice. Now, it's easy to put 200-300 rounds at a time down the XDS's stubby barrel. Maybe this thing will be the same. If not, it's a start and I hope to put her into a semi-auto 9mm in the not too distant future.

I did and it looked just fine. I've never shot one.

This Airweight was what my Mrs. wanted, so I wasn't going to argue with her. Introducing "lasers" and the like would've made her eyes glaze over. She wanted light, basic, and reliable. The 642 met all those needs. No doubt the Bodyguard would have as well, just not what she picked.

This is the most applicable thread I could find to post this. I'm looking for someone who is fairly familiar with federal firearms laws with regards to handgun purchases. I'm getting the runaround/several different answers regarding my particular situation from the ATF/gun stores/FFLs. Please PM if you you'd be willing to assist.

Probably more appropriate in the thread, and I have to admit I am a bit leary as to what you are asking here. Best you post up your question in that thread and see if you can get an answer there instead of relying on PMs which may or may not provide the right answer.

I can move this thread over there once you've seen this reply. As a matter of fact, I will do so once you do as unless this has to do with personal firearms/weapons on base, this is not the right place for this question.

I think I have finally picked out the handgun I want to buy. However, I'm running into issues going through the process because of my situation. I'm a resident of one state, physically live in a 2nd state, and am assigned to a base in a 3rd state. This is causing all sorts of headaches (particularly when state laws come into play). I'd rather not post anything more specific on this thread. If you'd be willing to help me navigate this, I'd appreciate a PM. Thanks!

If you are assigned to a '3rd' State, then I assuming that means that you have PCS orders showing that you are stationed in that State? If so, some FFL folks will accept orders as proof of 'residency' when it comes to military out of State. Some also then would like to additionally see car registration in that same State, a hunting/fishing license in that same State, etc.

If then by some chance this still doesn't work (it should?), then you can always have them send the gun to one of the other States you can prove that you live in/have legal residency and do the transfer when you're back there visiting or whatever.

Hope this helps man. I decided to reply directly on here as it may help somebody in the future, though if it's a bit more complicated even still, go ahead an PM me and I'll try again.

18 U.S.C. 921(b) (Brady Act):

For the purposes of this chapter, a member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his permanent duty station is located.

http://www.atf.gov/regulations-rulings/rulings/atf-rulings/atf-ruling-2001-5.html

"Section 921(b) of the
GCA provides that a member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident
of the State in which his permanent duty station is located. The purchaser's
official orders showing that his or her permanent duty station is within the
State where the licensed premises are located suffice to establish the purchaser's
residence for GCA purposes. In combination
with a military identification card, such orders will satisfy the Brady Act's
requirement for an identification document, even though the purchaser may actually
reside in a home that is not located on the military base. "

"Held further, a purchaser
who is a member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State
in which his or her permanent duty station is located, and may satisfy the identification
document requirement by presenting his or her military identification card along
with official orders showing that his or her permanent duty station is located
within the State where the licensed premises are located."