Baseops Forums

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Those units that rate direct customer service typically game the system and double boom lift. There a many inefficiencies built into the current system downrange, and it’s less to do with platforms as it is the tasking process built to service those lift requests.
  3. Concur on it being primarily a sustainer after the momentum is established by the Medium/Heavy Airlifters and that could be (enough airlift if we drank the adaptive base kool aid, I believe we should as the Russians & Chinese didn't build 6.9 thousand surface to surface and cruise missiles for nothing) but having a little bit of a plan B would not be bad or too expensive, IMHO. As to your point that the arguments being made now for another light airlifter are the same as have been made before, true but that doesn't invalidate them necessarily. Light and nimble are two things the AF is going to have to learn, not that acquiring a few light airlifters is going to completely build out a robust mobile combat capability in the AF that but it would be a step in the right direction. Low foot print, dispersion capable attack/fighters supported by Light Airlifters capable of quick resupply then hop back out of range of the enemy's long range fires; low cost high availability military airlift to move the small loads during normal ops, win-win.
  4. Hey Guys, I had a few questions regarding lifestyle after a pilot completes seasoning orders in a fighter unit. I figured having this all in one thread might make for a useful resource for everyone in the future to use. The situation would be that a new fighter pilot just finished seasoning orders, no AGR or full time spots are available, and the pilot has to get another job: How many times per month will your unit require you to fly on average while on part time orders (I am guessing 8-10 days/month)? If you commute to your guard base, will the USAF pay for your airfare to commute to the guard base every time u commute? (assuming you can not use airline perks such as the jump seat worse case scenario) Does your guard unit let you pick and chose which days you want to come in to fly each month? If you are allowed to pick your days, can you commute to your guard base, work for 8 or so days straight, and go home until the following month? If you are commuting to your guard base, where do you stay each night? Does the guard pay you while you are traveling to the base (i doubt it but figured I’d ask) Also, if you chose to have a second job as a airline pilot: If you work a typical airline line schedule (let’s say 15 days/month), can you drop upwards of 7-8 days of military leave and only work 7-8 days at the airline without the airline or your chief pilot becoming upset? If not, how many days of mil leave per month can you drop without upsetting the airline or chief pilot? No pressure to answer all of them. But if you guys know the answer to a few, it can really help us out a lot. I hope others can use this as a future resource as well! Thanks
  5. If we’re talking adaptive basing for survivability, we don’t need bathrooms, food, etc. We need airlift that takes off when the shooters do, survives one volley, and sustains one more iteration of the enemy removing pieces from the map while we do the same to them. We can’t assume our traditional command and control mechanisms will be intact. Comm might be limited to LOS radios and signal panels. Meaningful quantity at that point is one combat load of fuel and weapons because the enemy’s weapons are inbound X minutes/hours after we land. Totally spitballing (not an airlift expert), but a train of light(ish) airlift to deliver enough for one more sortie, taking off with the direction of “find and resupply with priorities X, Y, X” seems like a likely solution in this nightmare scenario. You’re absolutely right about only being able to move the fight as fast as the logistics tail, but if we need to fight an away game against a near peer, we need that logistics tail move faster than the targeting cycle of the adversary’s medium to long range weapons.
  6. What’s an ATO and port? Light lift uses civilian handlers and FBO’s. The users just come get their stuff and it’s mostly loaded by hand. I know it’s hard to think this way if you’re AMC but it’s much easier and way more fun.
  7. I guess the thing most people don't see is how fast the logistics system can be when it needs to be. If it's a no kidding combatant commander priority, it can move stupid fast, faster than the timelines proposed in this thread for light airlift. Even if it's a completely inefficient move. The thing that's missing from the adaptive basing concept is that it only focuses on ops, but as much as aircrew don't want to admit it, support plays a big role as well. Sleeping quarters, bathrooms, water, food; all that has to come from somewhere, and you can't really sustain a fight without it. Hell, even just fuel and munitions to sustain a real shooting war. And it's stuff that doesn't make sense to put on light airlift because it just won't fit, at least not in a meaningful quality. You can only move the fight as fast as you can move your logistical tail. This hasn't been a problem for the Air Force since probably WWII. Light airlift makes more sense in sustainment mode, where I need a widget fast but the station flow just isn't there. My bet is if we truly executed adaptive basing, there would be plenty of airlift available to get pretty items in quickly anyways. All the arguments made for light airlift are the exact same arguments the Army uses to try and get their own dedicated lift. The Army won't settle for the same level of service they are getting now if Air Force units are getting more; they would (probably rightfully so) demand to be treated as equals, or be allowed to acquire aircraft to support themselves at the same level. Remember when we had light airlift recently? Like when the Army convinced Congress to let them get C-27s for exactly this reason (light airlift, on demand), but the AF complained about efficiency and roles of the services, got control of most of the C-27s through Congress, then promptly flew them straight to the boneyard? We are our own worst enemy.
  8. Yesterday
  9. Johnson’s Sewing on commerce street did mine. She does a good job
  10. Same in the MX world, new guys getting engine run qual go out to a jet on the line and just start one engine. Back in the day we had to go the sim once a year and have emer and jump chock procedures thrown at us for requal, that is all gone now. I'm one of the few still qualified to run the OC-135B , the last time I've been to a sim on that was 1988 at McClellan AFB in California. Yes it doesn't exist anymore.
  11. I'm on a 6 year Officer commitment, 1 year into it. Been in 3 years total. No loan, tuition assistance, bonuses, nada.
  12. Fair point, but consider this through the lens of a scenario driving “adaptive basing” for survivability. [Don’t miss that one if you’re playing buzzword bingo at home]. The whole thing falls down under the extraordinarily centralized logistics plans we have now, but if we want to maximize (have?) offensive AirPower options after one adversary targeting cycle we’re going to need to sacrifice our current efficiency maximized system (laugh if you want) for a resiliency/flexibility maximized system. If a byproduct of that is a low intensity capability that fills gaps and increases flexibility: that’s great. The response to “they’re not supporting us” under that construct is: “we’re continuing to support like before, but are now able to provide armed American jets overhead in a high intensity conflict.” Lots of elephants in the room with the adaptive basing flavor of the week in general and with this in particular (where do the crews, airframes and money come from?), but dedicated rather than centralized logistics is a COA that may solve some problems.
  13. FYI, it is the 141 ARW.... not ARS. 141 ARS is in Jersey.
  14. Talk to the wing historians - you'd be surprised at what they compile.
  15. +1 for Khan Academy, but I just found a GRE Prep and an AFOQT Study Guide in some boxes while unpacking that haven't been touched. If someone is interested in the, shoot me a message. They're yours for free just cover the shipping (Unless you're in the NW FL area to pick them up).
  16. Actually this is on my wish list for when I hit the Lotto. My ultimate get away from it all SUV.
  17. Roger that - that's a possibility.and agree with you that the concept not the details are what is to be argued for. What is it the customer wants or what the authors think the customers need but are not getting supplied by the AF right now? Faster light airlift and more direct interaction with the airlift supplier. How do you do that? From the cuff, I could see Lt Airlift Dets with light FW capabilities on tap for pax/cargo that's not palletized, requires no special handling (hazmat), not a regular re-supply, less than 4,000 lbs. (just a number to start with) and parties of less than 12 (another starting number) that need movement within 36 hours. Requests can not be placed in both airlift request systems (main and mini AMD) to prevent gaming the system placing two requests and seeing which one gets service first. Every 36 hours the slate is wiped clean and new request queue built. Smaller cargo requirements to remove those requests from the big AMD's plate, inside the typical planning cycle with some restrictions on the type of requirements to keep it to small cargo/pax movements that need direct customer service.
  18. That’s one reason I’ve always like drafting late, you never know what craziness happens during the preseason. On a side note that’s a crazy decision to walk away from that kind of money though I’m sure broadcasters will be falling over themselves to get him in a booth (if that’s the direction he decides to go).
  19. What commitment length do you owe to the Army? Have you signed something saying they own you for X years and you can’t leave without approval?
  20. Piling on more love for the team at Trident. A very big thank you to Jon and Bri and their team members. Finished an IRRRL last week and they beat the competition by nearly a quarter point with cash back to me when it's all said and done. Quick, painless, and the dopamine hit from paying close to $5k less per year in house payments going forward is definitely a win. I don't think I would have heard abt Trident had it not been for this thread so thanks to baseops-ers too!
  21. If we give/get organic lift to Air Force units (say at the group level) for on demand airlift, how long will it take for the Army to go back to Congress and tell them the Air Force isn't supporting them and that they need their own organic fixed wing airlift at the battalion level just like the Air Force has? One of the reasons for a separate Air Force was to maximize the effect of a limited resource (airplanes), and enabling those aircraft to support multiple commanders and operations. Like I alluded to earlier, I don't think the problem is picking a platform. Several aircraft on the market for the bill. The more important piece to work through is how to organize the aircraft, ensure utilization, and sustaining/supporting operating it (not just mx, but the entire operations and logistics concepts).
  22. OJ’s driving the Bronco to Indy soon. https://twitter.com/therealoj32/status/1165441329226276866?s=21
  23. No doubt (cost, overkill, etc..), just a sidebar discussion but if there was a widget that absolutely had to get somewhere as fast as possible with the greatest flexibility on destination requirements, a tilt rotor capability would be it. For what the authors of the article are advocating for (light intra theater affordable quick responding on demand airlift) it's a FW solution. What the requirement exactly is what keeps me a skeptical believer. The requirement as to how many tails, how much do each of those tails need do? Payload, speed, takeoff/landing capability, other capes (NVG, Defensive Systems, etc...). Just a WAG, but a 25 tail fleet of SkyCouriers figured at 2 sorties a day per tail at 3,000 lbs of cargo/pax with 10% sortie attrition gives you the capability to move 135,000 lbs over a range of about 640 nm. Now is that enough or too little? That was just a guess but you see where I think this needs to go, how much gap coverage is needed to cover?
  24. Army Guard. Not pertinent info, but I just started an IST prior to learning about my eligibility for a UPT slot and now I'm in limbo between 2 states currently without a unit. Fun conversation showing up day 1 to new unit saying I have a desire to go ANG.
  25. Are you AD or guard/reserves? It should be straight forward if you are guard or reserve. Unless you have an adso to the army. No ideas how long AD conditional release takes. Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  1. Load more activity