Masters information (MBA/GRE)

Guest doggs_64

The same way the rest of the humans do it. Require a copy of diploma and/or transcript as part of the nomination package/application. Unpossible!

That would require said commander or board to actually read something instead of just look at a sheet of checked boxes.

Edited by Scaredfuzz21

The same way the rest of the humans do it. Require a copy of diploma and/or transcript as part of the nomination package/application. Unpossible!

With almost everybody already having some sort of masters, hiring authorities that require a real degree already review those credentials separately. This does not include positions that just 'require a master's degree'.

I don't think anyone fully understands the long term effects of such a decision. Just because the government chooses to cut huge chunks without forethought, doesn't mean the service needs to too. We could of easily made smart cuts to TA, and saved pain to our Es and junior Os... Some people actually care about an education for non-square-filling purposes.

• Upvote 3

This is turning out to be a REALLY bad deal. Anyone who believes that line of shit that "budget cuts will be taken into consideration" come time for promotion, and that they may be ok because of it are idiots. Sure they will be taken into account-- it adds another layer of ambiguous queepy nuance to the process.

Now instead of simply having the box being checked, time will factor in. So Capt A got his masters done in 2012 before the budget cuts, and Capt B got a BAC+ prior to the budget cut, but didn't finish a masters? Capt A becomes the winner here, because he was a go-getter and got his degree done early!

Now Capt C finished his degree in 2013, after the budget cut. This means that Capt C paid out of pocket a great deal for his degree, and has proven he is DEDICATED to the team! Capt C is out school select!

Don't believe me? You should. Remember, the kind of "leaders" who are making these decisions are the same "leaders" who mandate everyone re-accomplish CBTs just before an inspection so everyone looks "more green".

This is turning out to be a REALLY bad deal. Anyone who believes that line of shit that "budget cuts will be taken into consideration" come time for promotion, and that they may be ok because of it are idiots. Sure they will be taken into account-- it adds another layer of ambiguous queepy nuance to the process.

Now instead of simply having the box being checked, time will factor in. So Capt A got his masters done in 2012 before the budget cuts, and Capt B got a BAC+ prior to the budget cut, but didn't finish a masters? Capt A becomes the winner here, because he was a go-getter and got his degree done early!

Now Capt C finished his degree in 2013, after the budget cut. This means that Capt C paid out of pocket a great deal for his degree, and has proven he is DEDICATED to the team! Capt C is out school select!

Don't believe me? You should. Remember, the kind of "leaders" who are making these decisions are the same "leaders" who mandate everyone re-accomplish CBTs just before an inspection so everyone looks "more green".

Join the mass exodus and vote with your feet.

Then you won't mind paying for it. Also, when the govt doesn't subsidize degrees, they become more valuable. I learned that in Economics at a school that TA doesn't cover.

Fair. But imagine your basic grunt, or his equivalent in the AF, none of his skills translate to the work force. When it is his time to get out (for whatever reason), he has nothing to compete with. Without going down the rabbit trail of the entitlements debate, I think their are quite a few members of the military that we "owe" an avenue to acquire those skillz, which was aided by TA.

Fear mongering.

Ok Tonka, I can't totally disagree with that. But partially...

1st, post-911.

2nd, I would just wager that those young grunts would do better if we gave them a skill, not a degree. It is a brutal rat race out there for jobs and a degree from Podunk U isn't going to do a whole lot for you.

Now...if we could just teach them all to fly airplanes!

I couldn't agree more, especially with #2. And when you separate they tell you about all the different programs available to get your skills recognized. Since we know the military can't ever use a tried-and-true civilian certification system there are lots of programs that will help you get the civilian equivalent certification for the skills you gained on AD. And if you don't want to use the skills you learned while in the military then you have the GI Bill to go and learn something totally new at a real institution not AMU/Toro/Webster U.

Fair. But imagine your basic grunt, or his equivalent in the AF, none of his skills translate to the work force. When it is his time to get out (for whatever reason), he has nothing to compete with. Without going down the rabbit trail of the entitlements debate, I think their are quite a few members of the military that we "owe" an avenue to acquire those skillz, which was aided by TA.

I disagree completely. Even Army infantry sets you up with much more marketable skills than a high school grad or most liberal arts degrees. You just have to know how to use those skills. Pretty much all AF jobs set you up even better than that. GI bill exists for post service educational transition, and is an excellent benefit. I do hope, with TA going away, that more legitimate in residence masters opportunities are opened up for AD officers. I also see upcoming tremendous growth coming in AU OLMP masters.

Edit: The easy fix, and what I expect to happen, is removing the 6yr CYS requirement for starting the AU masters.

Edited by HU&W

Edit: The easy fix, and what I expect to happen, is removing the 6yr CYS requirement for starting the AU masters.

Leave the 6 yrs. Jr CGOs shouldn't have to worry about a Masters degree prior to 6 years anyway.

IMO, cutting TA is the one thing they've gotten right in this sequestration debacle (and no, it doesn't effect me - got my degree w/out TA.)

• 1 month later...

I'm guilty of perpetuating the problem, breaking down, and getting the degree. That said, as a practical matter:

Anybody had experience generating a transcript for PIT/The B-Course? (or any military training for which a transcript is not automatically generated)?

My university insists on having a transcript of some sort, though the experience of my bros, at Embry-Riddle and elsewhere, was simply sending the ACE recommendation from the ACE website and a copy of the training report. Could the CCAF generate a transcript for this training? My Ed office? The printer in my office?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Redundant Redundancy Removed

Edited by jice

Anybody had experience generating a transcript for PIT/The B-Course? (or any military training for which a transcript is not automatically generated)?

My university insists on having a transcript of some sort, though the experience of my bros experience, at Embry-Riddle and elsewhere, was simply sending the ACE recommendation from their website and a copy of the training report. Could the CCAF generate a transcript for this training? My Ed office? The printer in my office?

Thanks for the help.

TUI gave me 8 credits for PIT, they just needed a training report. You should be able to access it from your AFPortal records.

Tried the training report, sent with a copy of the ACE recommendation. No dice. The university seems more than willing to award the credits with a transcript, but apparently Uncle Sam's signature on the training report is insufficient. Apparently the idea that a world exists outside of academia is incredibly frightening to these folks.

Tried the training report, sent with a copy of the ACE recommendation. No dice. The university seems more than willing to award the credits with a transcript, but apparently Uncle Sam's signature on the training report is insufficient. Apparently the idea that a world exists outside of academia is incredibly frightening to these folks.

I hear ya but to suggest there's validity towards crediting things such as PME and flight training towards graduate work is an absolute joke to the same real world you allude to. You can't have it both ways.

• Upvote 1