Radio etiquette

Guest rotorhead

I had an old Master Chief that was from Wisconsin and he told me that only four things mattered; Beer, Brats, Broads and Bowling...Not in that order of course! Are you from Wisconsin? LOL

Nope, but I'm around a bunch of guys frmo there.

Well, I guess I better surrender my ATP certificate considering I am in violation of just about every one of rotorhead's radio gaff criterion. However, you haven't lived until you have given the whole passenger announcement for descent or departure over the radio...Yup, I've done it and been unmerciful when another airline crew does it!

Heard this several times given both on guard as well as center freq. Immediately following, its funny to hear all the other pilots stepping on each other trying to chime in with their 2 cents. Always good for a laugh!

It sure as hell is.

That's what the best callsigns are about...the thing that is unusual or unique and funny about you. If you are unfortunate enough to make a mistake you should own it as your ######ing name for the rest of your life, because it is funny.

This ain't no puss game.

I'm not sure who's running around the Deid sticking up all the TOO LOW, GEAR stickers featuring everyone favorite belly lander, but damn that shit is funny! There's one on the bottom of the share-a-ride sign at the PERSCO bus stop and I about pissed my pants the first time I saw it.

Well, I guess I better surrender my ATP certificate considering I am in violation of just about every one of rotorhead's radio gaff criterion. However, you haven't lived until you have given the whole passenger announcement for descent or departure over the radio...Yup, I've done it and been unmerciful when another airline crew does it! As professional as the military is, sometimes it's borderline annoying listening to them on VHF because they sound like rookies trying to pick-up an IFR departure after abusing the runway with touch and goes at a civilian airport...

Fly safe, come home dry...

ex-Navy Rotorhead turned Slaab driver

Can't confirm the type of aircraft, but it's also fun to listen to the AC give the copilot instruction on how to program the navigation system on the BLVD freq.

Heard this several times given both on guard as well as center freq. Immediately following, its funny to hear all the other pilots stepping on each other trying to chime in with their 2 cents. Always good for a laugh!

It's hilarious hearing the 15 different airline guys who scramble to tell some dude his check in with center was on guard. Is pt121 life really that boring?

Guest Crew Report

I'm not sure who's running around the Deid sticking up all the TOO LOW, GEAR stickers featuring everyone favorite belly lander, but damn that shit is funny! There's one on the bottom of the share-a-ride sign at the PERSCO bus stop and I about pissed my pants the first time I saw it.

Does that apply to JSTARS too? Because last time I was at the Deid you guys did the nose gear dance and Class A/B'd one of your jets due to Pilot error.

Does that apply to JSTARS too? Because last time I was at the Deid you guys did the nose gear dance and Class A/B'd one of your jets due to Pilot error.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell my wife when she asks why I make fun of someone for being old or fat... It's going to be my turn some day, so I might as well get my kicks in now while I have the chance, because I don't expect mercy from the smartasses of the world when it's my turn to abused for something stupid I have done.

As for why the C-17 community is taking it so bad from seemingly EVERYONE, it probably has to do with the level of automation the C-17 has and a simple thing like putting the gear down got them.

Guest Crew Report

I'll tell you the same thing I tell my wife when she asks why I make fun of someone for being old or fat... It's going to be my turn some day, so I might as well get my kicks in now while I have the chance, because I don't expect mercy from the smartasses of the world when it's my turn to abused for something stupid I have done.

As for why the C-17 community is taking it so bad from seemingly EVERYONE, it probably has to do with the level of automation the C-17 has and a simple thing like putting the gear down got them.

Have you even read the SIB on that incident?

No...it's because people feel that we are "entitled"...the next "Gucci" airframe since the KC-10s are more deployed these days than the 130s.

I reckon it's the same community hazing that the fighter community would apply if someone landed an F-22 gear up. It's just annoying that the community in general gets ridiculed because of the actions of one pilot.

Guest Crew Report

No...it's because people feel that we are "entitled"...the next "Gucci" airframe since the KC-10s are more deployed these days than the 130s.

I reckon it's the same community hazing that the fighter community would apply if someone landed an F-22 gear up. It's just annoying that the community in general gets ridiculed because of the actions of one pilot.

It wasn't just one pilot. There have been a lot of mishaps recently around your airframe in the past few years and your community is just getting shit for it.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123011269

Guest raf203

...aaaaaaaand

At UPT, the Tweet runway has a mini tower called an RSU. In addition to controlling the pattern and verbally bashing the students in the aircraft and working in the RSU box, the controllers would write down little acronyms to be debriefed the next morning or by the Sup after the flightif you were solo. FT=Firm Touchdown IF=Incomplete Flare, etc. There was a legend in your flight room to decode all these 2-4 letter codes.

One guy gets back from a solo, and in addition to all his comments, has HPOR on his card. He searches to no avail. He goes back to the Sup who informs him that it stands for Heavy Panting On Radio.

Apparently, he keyed his mic inadvertently on downwind and sounded like an obscene phone caller.

He was solo, so who knows what he was doing.

[ 23. May 2005, 06:58: Message edited by: PAB ]

wow, your description of RSU pattern trends was extremely enlightening. I'm sure everyone reading this board appreciates your expertise and is happy to take in this new information! I look forward to more posts that heighten this board's aviation knowledge. Seriously, how many people reading your stupid post haven't sat in an RSU? know your audience, clown.

• Downvote 16

wow, your description of RSU pattern trends was extremely enlightening. I'm sure everyone reading this board appreciates your expertise and is happy to take in this new information! I look forward to more posts that heighten this board's aviation knowledge. Seriously, how many people reading your stupid post haven't sat in an RSU? know your audience, clown.

Not all of us are wearing radiator wings, dude. I've never sat in an RSU. Know your audience, clown.

• Upvote 1

Blah blah You suck blah blah

stfu_noob2.jpg

Plenty of people, I am sure. Nav Skool students, ABM's, non rates. Great way to come in and comment on a post that is five years old and show your ass. Wanna try again for a first post on the board? :flipoff:

Edit: Now with more harsh words

Edited by discus
  • Upvote 3

Again, nice job of trying to sell out a crew that did nothing wrong. The pothole wasn't NOTAM'ed and the crew did what they should have. As a former HERC guy, I'd think you would have know that, but apparently the transition to Barney has removed the part of your brain that uses common sense.

Huh? WTF?

Barney

Barney is the nickname for the C-17 because it's the smaller partner of the C-5 FRED

I think he wrote Barny because it's his alias - "Barney A-10".

Plenty of people, I am sure. Nav Skool students, ABM's, non rates. Great way to come in and comment on a post that is five years old and show your ass. Wanna try again for a first post on the board? :flipoff:

Edit: Now with more harsh words

Dang it, I missed it and he deleted it. What a vag.

Edited by Spoo

custom_1242930531440_Troll_hard.jpg

• Upvote 1