CV-22 Osprey info

Tex

Does anyone know any updates on CV-22 drops out of UPT? Havent seen one in a couple of drops and heard the pipeline is moving slow? Just wondering if anyone has any insider info or nuggets of wisdom to share about the program in general. Thanks in advance

flying around at 20' AGL would be absolutely stupid, even as slow as we go...

Just saw this. Can't tell if serious or not. Maybe I'm too tired...

I guess things have changed quite a bit because I guess 90% of us were absolutely stupid. Tree and roof tops were the order of the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you're considering which community to put first on your dream sheet... think about the mission rather than the aircraft.

so, what exactly is the CV-22's mission?

Edit: On second hand, not worth the effort to argue.

It's a valid question. You tell someone to consider the mission, it should be clear what that mission is.

Just bustin' your balls. I know it's so secret you can't say on here.

I'm a little confused as to why out of everyone in the Air Force (and, frankly, the aviation community), the -60 guys are the only folks that do not know the mission of the CV... It's had the same mission for quite a while now. Nothing has changed.

Am I missing something? Some sort of argument??

Since there was some confusion. Enjoy!

Neat trick. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. ;)

I'm a little confused as to why out of everyone in the Air Force (and, frankly, the aviation community), the -60 guys are the only folks that do not know the mission of the CV...

Am I missing something? Some sort of argument??

I think it's that we're the only ones that see through the "secret-squirrel-air-commando-smokescreen" that they put out to hide the fact that its real mission set, tactical transport, as flown by the Marines has already been found. I'll grant it has some amazing capabilities that go right next to some pretty big drawbacks.

Besides, it's friendly community ball busting.

I think it's that we're the only ones that see through the "had to change it to PR to dodge the fact SOF does most of the real CSAR" stuff that they put out to hide the fact that their real mission set, CASEVAC, as flown by Army Dust-off, has already been found. I'll grant it has some amazing capabilities that go right next to some pretty big...oh yeah... sorry...forgot that you were reading this at helicopter speeds and are still stuck on "fact". I'll wait.

But it is, friendly community ball busting.

:beer:

I think it's that we're the only ones that see through the "had to change it to PR to dodge the fact SOF does most of the real CSAR" stuff that they put out to hide the fact that their real mission set, CASEVAC, as flown by Army Dust-off, has already been found. I'll grant it has some amazing capabilities that go right next to some pretty big...oh yeah... sorry...forgot that you were reading this at helicopter speeds and are still stuck on "fact". I'll wait.

But it is, friendly community ball busting.

Tell me again how you would have done the mission to pick up the Apache pilots... Oh yeah, you wouldn't have been able to. We could do this all day.

• Upvote 1

Tell me again how you would have done the mission to pick up the Apache pilots... Oh yeah, you wouldn't have been able to. We could do this all day.

We could make this a more productive conversation, just not without going into specific capabilities, which is a terrible idea on BODN.

If you want to discuss this in another forum, I'd be happy to get the pertinent information from you and actually figure out what we could have done, could presently do, or will be able to do in the near future for any example you want to throw out.

Better yet, hand me a stack of PMRs and I'll actually figure out how we stack up over a large sample. Yes, that will show us doing fewer, so it would take figuring out how to quantify what you guys didn't do that we could have done... that's a trickier task seeing as how its looking for events that didn't happen. It could probably be done, though.

Someone with a medical degree and access that neither of us is going to get could even figure out differences in medical outcomes based on time differences (including a penalty for a CV-22 pass where another asset then has to spin up), on-board medical capabilities, etc. Hell, you could even look at instances where we would have had to hoist based on terrain where a -60 could have landed but the individual could not physically have done it.

In fact, if anyone from Big Blue is reading, any argument about moving rescue into AFSOC, using CV-22s for some of the PR mission set, or even laying out requirements for a new rescue platform are going to be really incomplete discussions without someone doing that exact homework. If we're going to be making billion dollar decisions, what's a few weeks of a science project?

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

I just dropped a CV-22 and would really appreciate any advice from guys who have been through the pipeline or that have info on what I can do to prepare coming from T-1s? Thanks any info would be great.

There are worse places to sit around collecting per diem. It's only 4 hours from Wolf Creek. Taos, Sante Fe, and Angel Fire are all within 2.5 to 3 hrs. Flights to Vegas are cheap. The food's good and the night life beats out a lot of other places you could be. Oh! And it's only 3 hours from Cannon, so you can go house shopping on the weekends.

Edited by Hodor

• 8 years later...

Any Osprey bros have any gouge on this? Article was very interesting on procedures, and amount of time the issue has been known between AF and Marine Corps.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2022/08/18/marine-corps-says-its-pilots-can-handle-clutch-issue-has-grounded-air-force-ospreys.html?ESRC=eb_220819.nl

• 2 weeks later...