WB-57F and Drone Swarms

The NASA WB-57F aircraft made the news after it was revealed that it took part in collecting data on Drone Swarms off the coast of Virginia in the vicinity of Joint Base Langley. The WB-57 has probably one of the longest service careers in the US Military, it was originally a licensed built bomber from Martin Aircraft and based on the English Electric Canberra and was one of the first US jet aircraft to drop bombs in combat. It found a new life as a Reconnaissance platform and continuously modified over the years in programs such as SECOND SLICE/RIVET SLICE, TROPIC MOON and RIVET RAP. The WB-57F bears little resemblance to the original design with TF33 Turbofans and new, outer enlarged wing sections. After being retired from the USAF, a handful of aircraft were donated to NASA for use in atmospheric research. 

As to the Drone Swarms, there is little to say about that story and will probably soon disappear from the news altogether!

https://www.twz.com/air/mysterious-drones-swarmed-langley-afb-for-weeks

8 minutes ago, HeyEng said:

After being retired from the USAF, a handful of aircraft were donated to NASA for use in atmospheric research. 

One of the coolest jets around. Slight correction: remain on loan to NASA from the USAF. No danger of them coming back though; it’s manned and therefore cannot possibly be useful for recce in the modern world. /s

16 minutes ago, jice said:

One of the coolest jets around. Slight correction: remain on loan to NASA from the USAF. No danger of them coming back though; it’s manned and therefore cannot possibly be useful for recce in the modern world. /s

Also it may be the only jet flying that has turbofans buried in the wings! (At least in the US, I’m not sure if the British still fly the Nimrod)

Also it may be the only jet flying that has turbofans buried in the wings! (At least in the US, I’m not sure if the British still fly the Nimrod)

Gone and I think that means the last flying Comet (granted variant) went with them.

Brits bought P8s to replace them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

One of the topics I neglected to mention was where I got some of the information on the RB-57.

For a fascinating history of this and other specialized aircraft I recommend the book “The History of BIG SAFARI” by Col. Bill Grimes. 

This book was a trip down memory lane and brought back memories from when I was a B-52G Crew Chief back in the ‘80s and my line supervisor worked on RC-135 aircraft in Alaska before being transferred to Bombers. 

He would regale me with tales of fantastically modified RC-135 aircraft (sometimes for a single mission) that I sometimes thought he was just embellishing to make a compelling story. After reading this book I wish I could remember more of those stories since they were all true!

• Upvote 3

Lots of interesting Big Safari history out there but one of my favorites is "Poobah's Party" from Gulf War 1. Took a bunch of retired Army short range nuclear cruise missile type done things and modified them to basically be a bunch of MALD. They got the Iraqi IADS (KARI) to illuminate and were subsequently schwacked by the good guy SEAD players. Pretty awesome story.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Danger41 said:

Lots of interesting Big Safari history out there but one of my favorites is "Poobah's Party" from Gulf War 1. Took a bunch of retired Army short range nuclear cruise missile type done things and modified them to basically be a bunch of MALD. They got the Iraqi IADS (KARI) to illuminate and were subsequently schwacked by the good guy SEAD players. Pretty awesome story.

Great reads

9 hours ago, Danger41 said:

That is mentioned in the book. It was called SCATHE MEAN and BQM-74C Chukar Drones were modified and used similar to what the Israelis did during the Yom Kippur War against Egyptian Radars.

The ad hoc team had to buy camping gear and other supplies from Walmart and Sam’s Club. Trucks were purchased and painted desert tan but had to be deployed so quickly they were never registered which created problems when they were returned to the states.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Danger41 said:

OPSEC!!!!

OPSEC!!!!

When Col. Bill Grimes wrote “The History of BIG SAFARI” he went through the proper requirements and it was approved for public release by WPAFB Public Affairs under Case Number: 88ABW-2013-1703, Disposition Date: 12 Apr 2013

The mission Danger41 mentions against the Iraqi Kari Radar systems is covered in the book.

11 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

OPSEC!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, HeyEng said:

OPSEC!!!!

When Col. Bill Grimes wrote “The History of BIG SAFARI” he went through the proper requirements and it was approved for public release by WPAFB Public Affairs under Case Number: 88ABW-2013-1703, Disposition Date: 12 Apr 2013

The mission Danger41 mentions against the Iraqi Kari Radar systems is covered in the book.

thanks DORK

• Haha 1

The WB-57F was recently used for the 2024 Solar Eclipse as well.
They flew in a two ship formation at an altitude of over 50,000 ft using a special multi camera setup to catch the corona in different wavelengths. 

• Like 1

As a matter of fact, I visited one of the WB pilots (who is a good friend) from that flight earlier today. 
Great story on how they did that 2-ship. And funny. 
Those NASA pilots don't get paid much as compared to commercial pilots... but the job satisfaction sure looks great. 

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 2

Was passing through Kandahar 2012 timeframe and saw NASA WB-57s there. Could only guess what they were doing. 

15 hours ago, Prosuper said:

Was passing through Kandahar 2012 timeframe and saw NASA WB-57s there. Could only guess what they were doing. 

Rule number one of fight club

On 4/10/2024 at 11:30 PM, Prosuper said:

Science, obviously. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, jice said:

Science, obviously. 

Wx divert.  

Doing a cross country for the new pilots.