College Football

O Face

15 hours ago, Sua Sponte said:

They sure did, then got boat raced by Georgia. I’m not saying it’s right, because it’s not, but do you believe if FSU made it to the natty, they’d be competitive against any of the other three teams?  

Yes, I do.

Tate would have been back - He was 20/27 for 247 yards if I recall in the game he played. Our defense has had 38 offensive possessions played against them since Jordan Travis went down, a single TD was scored, and that was due to a false penalty that is now being used to train CF referees on what not to call. 

Washington has struggled with teams most of the season. Alabama got beat at home by two scores and barely beat USF and an Auburn team who got beat by New Mexico State. Texas has also looked suspect and lost to a slightly above average OU. 

So yes. I do. Our defense has been lights out. 

And even if I didn't believe we would be competitive, why play the game if the results don't matter? If you have a 20 or 40% shot at winning, you play. Hell if you have a 10% shot wouldn't you take that? 

But yes, I believe we'd have a minimum 33% chance of beating any team who is in the playoff, with our backup QB. 

2 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

NIL, the Portal and the CFB have basically ruined the game.

It certainly has changed. It is a huge balancing game between bringing in talent for one or two years and potentially scaring off talent you recruit from High School and hope to build and retain. I was quite surprised at how many QBs went to the portal and wouldn't be surprised if FSU makes a play for one. 

I'd say the move to two super conferences has also caused some pretty significant issues that have only recently (Sunday) started to really show where the sport might be headed. 

It is a shame that it appears that this sport is only about money and is turning into NFL-lite. But maybe I'm part of the problem because I'm willing to contribute to our collective to keep us relevant. 

From my small corner of College Football (South Dakota State), it's interesting to see what's happening with a lot of top FCS talent. We don't really have any meaningful NIL to speak of, but have been able to keep really good players on the team mainly as a result of culture and proving we can put guys into the league. Current Packers rookie Tucker Kraft was offered high 6 figures to transfer to a couple SEC schools with CFB Playoff experience and he turned it down. This year's team has  Current back Isaiah Davis got several offers (including to Washington) after last year and stayed. Current QB Mark Gronowski (1 of 3 finalists for Walter Payton award...FCS Heisman) similar situation. Twin brothers Jaxon and Jadon Janke same.

The crazy part about all of that is while it's cool that these kids are proving how talented they are and the level of talent that SDSU has, there is absolutely nothing preventing boosters/NIL collectives reaching into other schools and poaching their players. If that was a coach, it's totally illegal. However, this is the new norm. It's really brutal for FCS teams in the playoffs because when the portal opens, if a kid jumps into it he leaves the team in the middle of a playoff run. Similar to bowl season, I suppose which also really sucks.

I'm personally very torn on the whole thing because I think it's BS that schools like Florida could sell Tim Tebow's jerseys and such an make millions but he was personally limited to his scholarship stipend. However, I think it's pretty lame that a kid takes advantage of all the opportunities that a school affords him and just bails with no consequence. 

Last thing that I'm surprised hasn't happened yet is when a guy goes to a school with big NIL money and then transfers, the NIL collective comes after them legally to recoup their money. I know some Miami kids tried to renegotiate their NIL deals and got told to pound sand, but I haven't heard anything beyond that. Truly wild times.

2 hours ago, uhhello said:

To be clear, you can enter the portal and not leave.  

Almost 50% of the guys that enter the portal end up not finding a team. I also don’t know why if someone enters the portal and secured their release from a university, you’d bring them back. Pretty obvious intention there.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

Almost 50% of the guys that enter the portal end up not finding a team. I also don’t know why if someone enters the portal and secured their release from a university, you’d bring them back. Pretty obvious intention there.

Testing the free agency waters.  As asked above, I wonder how the transfers work with current NIL deals.  

On the transfer thing…I see a bunch of these guys entering the transfer portal and only having practice tape available. Dude…unless you plan to move down significantly in caliber of play, maybe just stay where you’re at. 

That’s symptomatic of the new recruiting landscape as well where all these kids get told they’re the greatest thing since sliced bread but forget that every swinging dick on the roster from the previous 4 years was told the same thing and has that much more development. 

On 12/5/2023 at 8:13 AM, VMFA187 said:

Yes, I do.

Tate would have been back - He was 20/27 for 247 yards if I recall in the game he played. Our defense has had 38 offensive possessions played against them since Jordan Travis went down, a single TD was scored, and that was due to a false penalty that is now being used to train CF referees on what not to call. 

Washington has struggled with teams most of the season. Alabama got beat at home by two scores and barely beat USF and an Auburn team who got beat by New Mexico State. Texas has also looked suspect and lost to a slightly above average OU. 

So yes. I do. Our defense has been lights out. 

By "struggling" do you mean by not having big double-digit wins against ranked opponents like Oregon, Oregon State, and Utah? I guess? They beat ranked opponents Oregon twice, USC, Utah, and Oregon State. Florida State dominated LSU, beat Louisville by nine points, and beat Clemson, the only ranked opponents they've played. Florida State's strength of schedule is 55th while Washington's is 11th and Alabama's 5th. Florida State almost blew a 21-point lead on Boston College, needed overtime against Clemson, and trailed at home in the second half to Duke before Riley Leonard exited with an injury.

Texas also beat Alabama. Alabama beat the reigning two-year champion, Georgia. Ultimately, the committee wasn't going to let Alabama, who just beat the #1 team in the SEC Championship, or an undefeated Washington team who beat a Top 10 Oregon twice to include the PAC-10 Championship, sit at home and give it to an ACC team who played weaker opponents. Why? Too much money left on the table and the people didn't want to see an FSU team just boat-raced by a stronger SEC, Big 12, PAC-10, or Big 10 team., 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Danger41 said:

From my small corner of College Football (South Dakota State), it's interesting to see what's happening with a lot of top FCS talent. We don't really have any meaningful NIL to speak of, but have been able to keep really good players on the team mainly as a result of culture and proving we can put guys into the league. Current Packers rookie Tucker Kraft was offered high 6 figures to transfer to a couple SEC schools with CFB Playoff experience and he turned it down. This year's team has  Current back Isaiah Davis got several offers (including to Washington) after last year and stayed. Current QB Mark Gronowski (1 of 3 finalists for Walter Payton award...FCS Heisman) similar situation. Twin brothers Jaxon and Jadon Janke same.

The crazy part about all of that is while it's cool that these kids are proving how talented they are and the level of talent that SDSU has, there is absolutely nothing preventing boosters/NIL collectives reaching into other schools and poaching their players. If that was a coach, it's totally illegal. However, this is the new norm. It's really brutal for FCS teams in the playoffs because when the portal opens, if a kid jumps into it he leaves the team in the middle of a playoff run. Similar to bowl season, I suppose which also really sucks.

I'm personally very torn on the whole thing because I think it's BS that schools like Florida could sell Tim Tebow's jerseys and such an make millions but he was personally limited to his scholarship stipend. However, I think it's pretty lame that a kid takes advantage of all the opportunities that a school affords him and just bails with no consequence. 

Last thing that I'm surprised hasn't happened yet is when a guy goes to a school with big NIL money and then transfers, the NIL collective comes after them legally to recoup their money. I know some Miami kids tried to renegotiate their NIL deals and got told to pound sand, but I haven't heard anything beyond that. Truly wild times.

Re-read this a few times, so many great points.  Refreshing to hear SDU continues to thrive despite the temptations of NIL.  Flashing back to being recruited out of high school the pitch was two fold.  First, player development, the promise of working with outstanding coaches (many former NFL players), who would push you to the next level.  Second, exposure, the allure of playing in front of 100K people and on TV.  I think the portal works against player development, they all want to be paid now and they want to play now. 

I too am torn, the NCAA and Universities have made MANY millions selling named jerseys and other swag.  Rather than individual NIL deals I would have preferred a compromise that put the profits into a large fund that was shared by all the players.

3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Re-read this a few times, so many great points.  Refreshing to hear SDU continues to thrive despite the temptations of NIL.  Flashing back to being recruited out of high school the pitch was two fold.  First, player development, the promise of working with outstanding coaches (many former NFL players), who would push you to the next level.  Second, exposure, the allure of playing in front of 100K people and on TV.  I think the portal works against player development, they all want to be paid now and they want to play now. 

I too am torn, the NCAA and Universities have made MANY millions selling named jerseys and other swag.  Rather than individual NIL deals I would have preferred a compromise that put the profits into a large fund that was shared by all the players.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/39047353/ncaa-proposes-rule-let-schools-athletes-enter-nil-deals#:~:text=NCAA president Charlie Baker proposed,letter sent to member schools.

12 hours ago, M2 said:

Looks like your Hurricanes are sinking as well! 😲😲😲

https://www.si.com/college/miami/football/2024-miami-hurricanes-transfer-portal-tracker

You are living in denial...Etienne leaving is a HUGE blow to whatever is left of the Gator program.  TVD is the only big name player to leave Miami and I am actually glad about that one.  Meanwhile and pointed out above, half the Gator recruiting class is running for the door while Miami has signed two five star linemen, flipping one from OSU and likely will get a third shortly.

Yeah, the Gator future is bright, your coach got Epically trolled by a High Schooler...BAHAHAHA 

https://twitter.com/LSUBarstool/status/1732136363946840490?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1732136363946840490|twgr^60de59930ce4fa166c6ea2c2f36ac9c1ebd42365|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.outkick.com%2Fflorida-gators-coach-billy-napier-brutally-mocked-by-high-schooler-during-visit%2F

• Haha 1