College Football

O Face

First off, the Colorado and TCU game was great to watch.  With that said, the TCU players and students were reeling from the murder of Wes Smith, TCU player in 2021.  The Pre Game moment of remembrance, was well deserved, but might have had affected team members.  My grandson, that attends TCU, was pretty shook up, as he frequents 7th Street.  Losing many friends, to both combat and peacetime, I can attest to how it affected me, especially in my first/younger years of flying.

So as the great NY Yankee catcher, Yogi Berra (that most of you youngsters don't know) said: .."It ain't over til It's over".   Let's see how the season plays.

14 minutes ago, SHFP said:

First off, the Colorado and TCU game was great to watch.  With that said, the TCU players and students were reeling from the murder of Wes Smith, TCU player in 2021.  The Pre Game moment of remembrance, was well deserved, but might have had affected team members.  My grandson, that attends TCU, was pretty shook up, as he frequents 7th Street.  Losing many friends, to both combat and peacetime, I can attest to how it affected me, especially in my first/younger years of flying.

So as the great NY Yankee catcher, Yogi Berra (that most of you youngsters don't know) said: .."It ain't over til It's over".   Let's see how the season plays.

At the risk of being callous I’d say that’s invalid. If you look at the starting roster on both sides of the ball TCU is either very young or has a number of transfers post 2021. The point being is I doubt many of the starting players new him well. I could be wrong, but based on the age/transfer timelines that’s what I think. 

I wouldn’t doubt that the coaches could have been troubled by grief in this terrible situation, and by default not on their A game. However, I think it’s more likely that TCU, along with a large majority of college fans, scoffed at the Deion media show, and overall got caught flat footed.

No risk Boomer6, I totally understand your thoughts and evaluation.  And I agree that TCU was not ready, even before the incident, for Colorado.  Still, young people are often easily influenced by events occurring around them.  Anyway, my second wife thinks TCU was/is over rated from last year.  She's my "Sporty Girl", as her daughter's husband was drafted in 1998 and played 2 years.   I just listen and watch.  

• Upvote 1

I feel like we're seeing what happened to FSU in the early 2000's happening to Alabama. Of course they're Alabama, so that might not be true... But I can definitely see some parallels between Bowden and Saban. 

1 hour ago, VMFA187 said:

I feel like we're seeing what happened to FSU in the early 2000's happening to Alabama. Of course they're Alabama, so that might not be true... But I can definitely see some parallels between Bowden and Saban. 

I think money talks right now.  Playing field is a bit more even.  Bama has a lot of competition recruiting wise now.  

5 minutes ago, VMFA187 said:

Yeah, you can't just recruit kids to keep them from playing elsewhere anymore.

I don't really have a problem with they payment issue.  Only thing that sucks is with good but not great schools taking a 2-3 star guy and making him a 4-5 star guy who leaves after a year or two for a bigger school 🙂

15 hours ago, HuggyU2 said:

And what was that?

FSU was pretty dominant for nearly 15 years with Bobby Bowden. Granted we didn't win 6 or 7 championships like Saban has, but we played for that many. 

On 9/12/2023 at 5:41 PM, VMFA187 said:

FSU was pretty dominant for nearly 15 years with Bobby Bowden. Granted we didn't win 6 or 7 championships like Saban has, but we played for that many. 

Or five like Miami...just sayin.

Also notable, the ACC has dominated the SEC this year.

As for Alabama...Boohoo, too bad so sad.

5 minutes ago, herkbum said:

Isn’t UVA in the ACC? Not sure I would have chosen “dominated”. GBOemoji521.png

Dominated is the right word, but the SEC bias in the polls with no doubt continue despite the obvious evidence of decline.

The SEC is 1-4 against the ACC this year even more powerful when you consider the SEC losses are up and comers and so called SEC powerhouse teams.  Florida State dismantled LSU, North Carolina rolled past South Carolina on the opening weekend and Texas A&M was clobbered at Miami.

Other notable SEC beatdowns outside the ACC include Texas beating then-No. 3 Alabama 34-24 and Florida falling at Utah, 24-11.

More signs of SEC mediocrity came last week when Auburn had to rally to beat California 14-10 and Kentucky struggled to beat Eastern Kentucky, 28-17.

All of this and of course they put two SEC teams that are 1-1 in the top 25 (one in the top 10), above a bunch of undefeated teams.

• Upvote 1

Dominated is the right word, but the SEC bias in the polls with no doubt continue despite the obvious evidence of decline.
The SEC is 1-4 against the ACC this year even more powerful when you consider the SEC losses are up and comers and so called SEC powerhouse teams.  

All that matters to me is the 1 win.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

20 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Or five like Miami...just sayin.

Also notable, the ACC has dominated the SEC this year.

As for Alabama...Boohoo, too bad so sad.

Valid.

Initially I didn't care for the NIL and a 12 team playoff, but I think in the end it'll make the sport a lot more exciting, with more parity, and will open up NC opportunities for more than just 6-8 teams every year. 

3 hours ago, moosepileit said:

Not putting it elsewhere as they were too late and low to call it a normal flyover.

https://brobible.com/sports/article/auburn-tigers-football-viral-flyover-low-kc-135-jet-plane-reaction/amp/

Off altitude and off TOT?  That checks.

Standby for the HHQ directed FEBs

13 hours ago, wikz said:

best game i've seen in a while.

I disagree... 

image.png.c4887565e9e3f74c3a4b90e2ffc6201d.png

As a bonus, the O's secured a playoff spot this weekend as well!  :thumbsup:

image.png.a304f5e0ed8f89d11e051aed7819112e.png

Remember, this is a team with 110 losses in 2021!!  😬

12 hours ago, uhhello said:

They hype is insufferable but was a great game.  

Couldn’t agree more. Do you think there’s some head honcho telling all the talking heads that they must sing Deion’s praises at least 20 times per segment, or is it just a group think deal and they all parrot each other?

5 hours ago, M2 said:

I disagree... 

image.png.c4887565e9e3f74c3a4b90e2ffc6201d.png

Sorry but watching two overrated SEC teams play to 29-16 was not entertaining, especially when Florida fans now proclaim they are "the best team in the nation"...true except when you are getting pounded by #11 Utah I guess.

19 hours ago, wikz said:

anyone else catch Colorado state rams v. Colorado Buffaloes?

best game i've seen in a while.

Great game an incredible comeback, Shedeur Sanders is the real deal, he was throwing darts on ropes and carried CU to the overtime win.  Most exciting game I've seen in any sport all year.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

Sorry but watching two overrated SEC teams play to 29-16 was not entertaining, especially when Florida fans now proclaim they are "the best team in the nation"...true except when you are getting pounded by #11 Utah I guess.

I have not heard a single Gator claim UF is "the best team in the nation." 

In fact, there is still a lot of skepticism for the remaining schedule. 

Regardless, the Vols came to the Swamp with a giant chip on their shoulder, especially Joe Milton claiming "I don't lose in Florida."

Tennessee ended up showing their asses, even more so during the last minute of the gain, and now it's been over two decades since they won in Gainesville!

So yeah, I considered it to be very entertaining!