B-1 crash

stract

Great news they made it out safely. I had a lot of friends in the community.

Just curious, but is that on or near the Belle Fourche range?

Yes, although the area directly over Belle Fourche doesn't include low altitude. It's got a shelf starting at 180.

http://www.ellsworth.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123360368

Crewmembers ID'ed;

Maj Frank Biancardi II, Instructor Pilot

Capt Curtis Michael, Instructor Pilot

Capt Chad Nishizuka, Instructor Weapon Systems Officer

Capt Brandon Packard, Instructor Weapon Systems Officer

Thankfully they all survived. Unfortunately, Capt. Nishizuka lost his brother in the Afghanistan MC-12 crash.

http://www.ellsworth...sp?id=123360368

Crewmembers ID'ed;

Thankfully they all survived. Unfortunately, Capt. Nishizuka lost his brother in the Afghanistan MC-12 crash.

Would you guys fly again? If I were Capt. Nishizuka I would be finding another line of work. That is way too close to home.

WxMan

Nothing but instructors, most dangerous flight crew there is. As for the number of Class A's I'm sure there will be a committee stood up to review the reasoning and then an FCIF or the like will be released telling us that we need to "go back to basics" etc. etc. then ops normal...

• Upvote 3

Nothing but instructors, most dangerous flight crew there is. As for the number of Class A's I'm sure there will be a committee stood up to review the reasoning and then an FCIF or the like will be released telling us that we need to "go back to basics" etc. etc. then ops normal...

Quite the speculation without knowing any of the details

Would you guys fly again? If I were Capt. Nishizuka I would be finding another line of work. That is way too close to home.

WxMan

Driving to and from work is still more dangerous...

http://www.ellsworth...sp?id=123360368

Crewmembers ID'ed;

This is odd...AF PA rarely seems to release names in a mishap if they're not deceased.

Eyewitlesses will always see smoke and/or fire before a crash whether either is there or not. People expect to see it, so they recall seeing it.

Two were recent WIC grads.

Eyewitlesses will always see smoke and/or fire before a crash whether either is there or not. People expect to see it, so they recall seeing it.

They probably heard the engine making sputtering sounds as well... like it was out of gas!

• Upvote 1

Stories like this always provide great occasion for the news media to reflect on important defense issues... Like what the locals think about the Powder River training complex.

Many ranchers, including Gnerer's husband, believe the bombers intentionally swoop over tractors and farm buildings for mock target-practice.

And another dude:

In the 1980s, he and his wife would complain regularly to Ellsworth Air Force Base about the noise. The couple believe that in response, the bombers increased their flyovers above their home.

He said the planes are better now, flying higher than they once did, but he still believes they frequently dip below the 500 feet threshold they're supposed to adhere to. He said he's seen a B-1 fly as low as 50 feet.

"The problem I guess I have with them is they don't respect our property, our livelihood; when they use your buildings for target practice and come over your buildings all day, all night," he said.

Lanning regularly flies a small plane over his ranch to check reservoir levels and kill coyotes. He said the B-1s are frequently a terrifying presence to share the air with.

With a maximum speed of 900 mph, a B-1 can streak past with little warning.

"You got to keep in the back of your mind that you got to be watching for them the whole time," he said.

He added that he and several other ranch pilots have had close calls. He said getting caught in the backdraft created by a B-1 is enough to rip the wings off a small aircraft like this own.

Having to remember to "see and avoid" when flying VFR in a MOA for aircraft that were built to penetrate low and fast (STS) and have been there for over two decades... Must be awful.

Edited by Disco_Nav963

Having to remember to "see and avoid" when flying VFR in a MOA for aircraft that were built to penetrate low and fast (STS) and have been there for over two decades... Must be awful.

I doubt there's much time for him to avoid by (if) the time he sees a B-1

Edited by Fuzz