FY 14 Force Management Program (RIF, VSP, TERA)

AOF_ATC

They scared the shit out of everyone in the Boom Operator career field before Christmas, new numbers out only have 2 SSgt's AF wide that need to be cut in our AFSC. I just shook my head. I'm glad but I'm also left wondering WTF?!?!

Edited by WABoom

Wow... I'm speechless, even if the Definitely Retain pile is your top 20% it puts a lot of extra work on the board. As I understand it DPs and DRs in the past are effectively shoved off to the side and the Ps and Rs are shuffled through to determine the gray zone. I am curious to see if there will be a Do Not Retain quota as usually a Do Not Retain or a Do Not Promote would usually have paperwork to justify the rating...in this case if there is a quota it could be a mixed bag between douchers with paperwork and poor helpless souls who showed up at their base 1 day prior to the RRF accounting date.

I wonder is there is going to be a not-so-secret "Retain" quota for CCs / SRs?

I believe the PSDM requires justification for a DNR, just as a DNP. That being said, knowing that they have to strat all the way down, getting an R and a 9/9, etc strat will probably work just the same as a DNR.

Okay, well that's not bad if you are 200/200 then you don't probably need to be retained but if you are 9/9 well that math should be a little more fuzzy, when you compare the other 200. I like what Welsh is doing but I feel like they need to come up with a better answer. I remember in ROTC that the Commander's Ranking score dealt with the general population of the commissioning class. General Chang... in ROTC 1/3 in a year group did not equal 33/99... correct me if I am wrong, TMO screwed up and half of my stuff isn't even here...and I've had 4 beers... #Clovisrocks!

CSAF was at Eglin today and he said the intent is to pretty much do all the cuts at once. He doesn't want folks to keep thinking "I wonder if this'll be the year...".

I've seen AFPC-sourced briefings say cuts are expected to be 25,000 in 18 months, versus the original announcement of 25K over 5 years. Cutting that many is not going to be pleasant either way, but AFPC will have to balance these years of dread with the impact of a once-time purge.

great thread. i gleaming more information on this board than i have seen from AFPC. In looking at the RIF and Major ESERB charts that went out last week, it appears as if they are not looking at Majors in the 2000 and before year groups. Any info on why those year groups are protected? It seems if you are a 1998 Major, you have been passed over twice and should be more vulnerable than a 2001 guy who hasnt been looked at for promotion yet.

Do not attempt to apply logic or reason. It's not about capability, it's about numbers in time-phased categories that appear to be capability.

Remember that kid in your ROTC det that was scared of taking any courses that remotely resembled math and majored in underwater basketweaving? Today he is that personnel officer at AFPC coming up with the manning numbers.

• Upvote 5

I've seen AFPC-sourced briefings say cuts are expected to be 25,000 in 18 months, versus the original announcement of 25K over 5 years. Cutting that many is not going to be pleasant either way, but AFPC will have to balance these years of dread with the impact of a once-time purge.

So this means basically 2 rounds of this shit? I wonder if that 18 months starts from Dec when this crap began. If those who will be RIFed are separating Jan 2015, that means the second round should come late next year.

I still haven't seen anything definitive about whether or not guys in my situation are eligible. 11Ms that I know who cross trained to RPAs still have 11M as Core AFSC, and the other code on my surf is GJ, which is an 11M3K/C-17. Nobody has been able to say whether or not we are eligible for any of this, but the PSDM states that all O-3s from 04-08 (I think) will meet the RIF board. Now my squadron is gathering all pertinent info such as how soon every CGO completed SOS by correspondence, Master's, etc. I think I can see the writing on the wall that we will be eligible.

Remember that kid in your ROTC det that was scared of taking any courses that remotely resembled math and majored in underwater basketweaving? Today he is that personnel officer at AFPC coming up with the manning numbers.

Bullshit! I fly airplanes.

• Upvote 8

Does the day you select for your date of separation on the VSP application have any effect on the likelihood of getting your VSP approved? If I select a date near the last day of 29 Sep 14, will the board process all of the applications that have earlier dates closer to the 8 week minimum processing time?

Just as likely he's the tanker pilot giving you your offload, or the airdropper hauling your trash.

Is this TERA thing gonna be around for a while? Any rumors that it'll be around in say 2 years?

Everything you want to know about TERA is here. It's authorized by Congress until Dec 2018 as a tool to be used at the discretion of the service chiefs.

Yes.

Also, which one is it?

From PSDM 13-130 dated 24 Jan 14:

Access the vMPF via the AFPC Secure website. Select “Apply for Voluntary Separation”, and when prompted to “Select a Separation Provision”, select “SECAF Approved Early Separation Program”. Include “I am requesting to separate under the Voluntary Separation Pay (VSP) Program” in the remarks section.

From PSDM 14-08 dated 23 Jan 14:

Select “Apply for Voluntary Separation”, when asked to “Select a Separation Provision,” select “Miscellaneous” and include “FY14 Voluntary Separation Pay” in remarks section.

Also on PSDM 14-08 (right below the part you quoted):

"If an officer has an ADSC, the applicant will provide justification for a waiver."

PSDM 13-130 doesn't mention a waiver anywhere, so this new guidance in confusing at best. Also, the guy I spoke to at AFPC didn't even know 14-08 existed! I brought up all the discrepancies and he said he will have to get back to me. Who the f*$% is piloting this Exxon Valdez known as AFPC??!! I fully expect the clown show to continue.

"If an officer has an ADSC, the applicant will provide justification for a waiver."

PSDM 13-130 doesn't mention a waiver anywhere, so this new guidance in confusing at best. Also, the guy I spoke to at AFPC didn't even know 14-08 existed! I brought up all the discrepancies and he said he will have to get back to me. Who the f*$% is piloting this Exxon Valdez known as AFPC??!! I fully expect the clown show to continue.

I may be wrong, but 13-130 (the latest version) is for the RIF and 14-08 is VSP only. I don't know why you would have to justify being RIF'd but I can see why your justification to voluntarily leave could necessary. At least that is my understanding of the two programs.

I emailed AFPC via the vMPF link today to ask about the discrepancies across the PSDM's and to ask exactly what time the application window will open on the 6th or 7th. I got a credible response back last time, so hopefully it'll work this time too.

FWIW....concerning the application window, I read a FAQ list that was forwarded to the Sq from our CC that listed the application window as 6 Feb.

I emailed AFPC via the vMPF link today to ask about the discrepancies across the PSDM's and to ask exactly what time the application window will open on the 6th or 7th. I got a credible response back last time, so hopefully it'll work this time too.

FWIW....concerning the application window, I read a FAQ list that was forwarded to the Sq from our CC that listed the application window as 6 Feb.

I got them to answer "via myPers chat" that very same question. They stated "the Air Force will begin accepting applications on 6 Feb." They also stated the absolute earliest to apply is at Midnight (0000) CST. Hope this helps.

For the 2004 year group guys on the promotion list: I sent an email directly to AFPC/DPSOR, the separations department, and asked if I was eligible for the VSP even though I was on a promotion list and ineligible to be RIFed.

A lady emailed me back today with something like this "We are unable to verify your eligibility for any program via email. However, just because you are ineligible for the RIF does not mean you are ineligible for the VSP. Please look at the voluntary separation matrix and if it shows an overage you are eligible."

So I think the answer is we are good to put in an application.

Guest ThatGuy

Have you guys heard the AFSC matrix by eligible and overages is being pulled! If you are an 11M from the 2005 year group you do not have an 18% chance of being released. This is getting to be insane.