CNN/FOX (Mis)Reporting USAF C-21 IFE at Cahokia, IL

matmacwc

Nevermind, they just reported that the C-21 isn't the aircraft in trouble; it just happens to be doing training in the area. Since it is doing approaches with its gear down, then climbs out, the geniuses at CNN & FOX though that was an indication of a gear problem.

The plane with issues is civilian...

Nevermind, they just reported that the C-21 isn't the aircraft in trouble; it just happens to be doing training in the area. Since it is doing approaches with its gear down, then climbs out, the geniuses at CNN & FOX though that was an indication of a gear problem.

The plane with issues is civilian...

I was wondering why they just wouldn't be at Scott.

Latest: Not a C-21. The incident a/c is a civilian Lear 45 with nose gear problems, but there was an AF C-21 in the pattern at the same airport on a training sortie (probably from Scott) and the newsies locked on to it at first.

Edited by HiFlyer

Yeah, Megan Kelley showed her true intelligence level today. After they figured out it wasn't the C-21, she said they were flying by the tower to show they what good landing gear looks like. We all now know why Fox hired her.

From the news feed...post-2154-13624371652_thumb.jpgYup, looks like the gear is jacked up to me

Edited by Techsan

In her defense, she was merely repeating what the airline pilot "expert" interviewee told the other talking heads.

We all now know why Fox hired her.

What are you trying to say?

MEGYN-KELLY-GQ.jpg

• Upvote 2

I'm not sure if it is just because they are two subjects I consider myself to know a lot about, but it seems whenever ANYTHING is reported on aviation or guns it is ALWAYS a forehead slapping display of stupidity. Like when it makes the news when a VIP jet goes around (and is reported as an "aborted landing") I cringe. When the term "high powered" is applied to an AR-15 I throw up in my mouth.

In a slightly unrelated matter-- do the 89th guys actually have to answer any mail when they do an unplanned go around? The way it makes the news I wouldn't be surprised if "someone" thought it would be a "good idea" to "hold pilots accountable" for something like that.

I'm not sure if it is just because they are two subjects I consider myself to know a lot about, but it seems whenever ANYTHING is reported on aviation or guns it is ALWAYS a forehead slapping display of stupidity.

This.

Admittedly, I'm a news hound. I'm addicted to current events. But EVERY time I've had firsthand knowledge of the details behind a story or been knowledgeable about the subject matter, the media has screwed it up badly. Since they are always wrong in those cases, I can only imagine that they're also wrong in the things I know less about. Even when they've directly quoted somebody I know, who made the mistake to talk to them in the first place, the person's words get twisted to whatever story the media is trying to sell. I guess that system works for somebody; probably just advertisers, media moguls, and politicians.

This.

Admittedly, I'm a news hound. I'm addicted to current events. But EVERY time I've had firsthand knowledge of the details behind a story or been knowledgeable about the subject matter, the media has screwed it up badly. Since they are always wrong in those cases, I can only imagine that they're also wrong in the things I know less about. Even when they've directly quoted somebody I know, who made the mistake to talk to them in the first place, the person's words get twisted to whatever story the media is trying to sell. I guess that system works for somebody; probably just advertisers, media moguls, and politicians.

Keep in mind-- Television is about the commercials, not the programming. ALL content on television, no matter whether it's sitcoms, cartoons, reality shows, or even "news" is just the vehicle the owners of the channel feel will sell commercial space (or network subscriptions). For this reason I put 0.0 faith in TV news or anything else on TV for that matter, but it kind of scary to think of how many people actually do.

• Upvote 2

This.

I have had exactly the same experience. I have been directly involved in three aviation events covered by the media and they were all grossly mis-represented and put out of context. We had a tanker blow a tire on rollout at Beale back in the late 80s and they stopped it at the end of the runway to change the tire before towing it in. The local news hounds (who monitored the base freqs to keep up with things) first wanted to know about the "crash", then when we said there wasn't one and couldn't produce a crashed airplane, they accused us of lying and "hiding the evidence". How the heck do you hide a crashed airliner-sized airplane at Beale? It's flat as a pancake on the flightline and for 10 miles around!

I finally came to the same suspicion about the media's accuracy in other matters.

• Upvote 1

Years ago, in between the golf and the excessive drinking at SOS, I recall sitting in a briefing with some 3 star (who turned out to be a fairly good crud player). He said something along the lines of: How often have you watched or read a piece of journalism regarding an area in which you are a subject matter expert and saw all sorts of glaring errors in their material? So why do you believe what they put out when it concerns an area that you are not familiar with?

• Upvote 3

Years ago, in between the golf and the excessive drinking at SOS, I recall sitting in a briefing with some 3 star (who turned out to be a fairly good crud player). He said something along the lines of: How often have you watched or read a piece of journalism regarding an area in which you are a subject matter expert and saw all sorts of glaring errors in their material? So why do you believe what they put out when it concerns an area that you are not familiar with?

This.