Raptors grounded over OBOGS issue

MKopack

Guest Miclhstrase

LOX video

Shit man, that safety officer can have my ass whenever she wants.

That was the best video I have seen in a long time.

Haha, we used to have to suffer through that video every year, back in my enlisted days, when we knocked out all our annual requirement! I figured it would go well with all the people nerding out about the obogs/LOX/Nitrous.

Haha, we used to have to suffer through that video every year, back in my enlisted days, when we knocked out all our annual requirement! I figured it would go well with all the people nerding out about the obogs/LOX/Nitrous.

I remember all those movies to scare the crap out of the new Airmen that it took almost by gunpoint to make them service LOX on the acft my self included. After a while you were using it to cool down a 6 pack in the drain pain and throwing bugs and frogs into the pan just to see them shatter. I have a few burns on wrists and parts of my neck from splashes from it. I still service LOX 30 years later from the first time I did for my present contract job. You learn to always respect it but I don't fear it anymore. There are parts of the LOX system I can't stand, it is almost impossible to service in rainy wet weather because everything freezes up, every LOX convertor is different on how it services per tail no. not MDS. Had to reseat a few build up and vent valves with a screw driver to seat it and keep from venting so it will build pressure. Plus don't ever ever deplete a system down to zero pressure on the system, it requires a hot purge of the entire system to evaporate any moisture in the system. The only thing that sticks out to me about the OBOGS is what caused that Air Florida crash in the Everglades back in the 80's.

In the F-16, a single generator failure can result in 3 minutes of usable air prior to having to use the emergency oxygen bottle.

At first I thought this was bullshit but then I realized it matches the station time so it kinda makes sense.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/08/grounded-stealth-fighter-jocks/

Even Wired is reporting it now...this time from the angle that Raptor pilots are going to lose their currencies and have to go through requalification training.

I was not aware that only Tyndall and Langley had sims, though...I'm kind of surprised they didn't put them in at the other Raptor bases.

...Raptor pilots are going to lose their currencies and have to go through requalification training.

Sucks that the jets are grounded. In the meantime...send them to Creech/Canonnon and make them earn their living while they wait.

Sucks that the jets are grounded. In the meantime...send them to Creech/Canonnon and make them earn their living while they wait.

And then they won't lose gate months.

Too bad they'll never fly a Raptor again once they go to UAVs.

No shit! However, this will probably be treated like a bad WX day on a Friday: it's obvious that no one will turn a wheel the entire day, but rather than utilize the time to get everyone together and get necessary training done, and then push to the bar early, we drag the schedule out to the bitter end,... and still not fly anything. And of course, no one gets home until 1800 either.

In this case, all these Raptor pilots could already be doing something beneficial somewhere,... but no, we need them ready to go "just in case the WX breaks in the next 10 minutes".

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

No shit! However, this will probably be treated like a bad WX day on a Friday: it's obvious that no one will turn a wheel the entire day, but rather than utilize the time to get everyone together and get necessary training done, and then push to the bar early, we drag the schedule out to the bitter end,... and still not fly anything. And of course, no one gets home until 1800 either.

In this case, all these Raptor pilots could already be doing something beneficial somewhere,... but no, we need them ready to go "just in case the WX breaks in the next 10 minutes".

Aren't a lot of the Raptor dudes dual-qual'd in the T-38 and flying that right now?

For example?

Project Liberty? Maybe picking up some of the short tours to Iraq being forced onto squadrons already heavily deployed? Maybe there are good reasons to have entire squadrons full of rated pilots sitting around waiting, but at some point it's in the collective interest of our force to use those qualified bodies in a manner which contributes and eases the load everyone else has been carrying.

• Upvote 2

Project Liberty? Maybe picking up some of the short tours to Iraq being forced onto squadrons already deployed

Just how long do you think the jet is going to be grounded?What happens when the jet is un-grounded and no one is left to fly because they're all pulling short tours with your brilliant plan?

Just how long do you think the jet is going to be grounded?

Good question... do you know the answer?

Huh? Do you really believe that we should send a majority or even a minority of our Raptor pilots on random 179s?

Yes.

Edited by Huggyu2