Bin Laden dead!

SocialD

Then why keep commenting?

I'm not looking for a p1ssing contest, but I will post on-topic thoughts and items if I choose. You can choose to read them and comment on them or ignore them.

LOL

I'm not suggesting you censor yourself, post your ass off. Not sure why you're taking such a strident tone.

It appears that you have issues with the Obama taking credit for killing bin Laden so you feel the need to point out what has been reported may not be an exact second by second recap as if there is some conspiracy he should be punished for. Do you really want the details of the mission exposed to the world? if so, why the fuck would you want that?

I'm asking why you really give a shit. It seems to me that you are now claiming to be a champion of the truth who will post updates here so we can all be better informed. The truth you want to champion can only come out if someone talks to the media and you should know what a bad idea that is, especially in this case. Maybe you haven't heard about the people who were responsible for this mission but they don't really care if people "know the truth", they don't tell people what they do and they don't publicly debrief what went right and what went wrong on any of their missions.

Colorful character aspersion and suggestion of motives.

Inaccurate but colorful.

I chose to offer a different view of the event as reported.

And to your point about the SEAL having a big mouth:

http://security.blog...bin-laden-raid/

A still-unpublished book claiming to tell the inside story of the raid that killed Osama Bin Laden, which the author says is based on interviews with those on the raid, is already generating controversy inside the secretive world of U.S. Special Operations Command.

Every member of the Navy SEAL team on the raid has been questioned by superiors about whether they spoke to author Chuck Pfarrer, a former Navy Seal, about the mission in violation of orders, a U.S. official told CNN.

The official, who has direct knowledge of the questioning, told CNN that the SEALs all denied speaking with Pfarrer, whose book, "SEAL Target Geronimo: The Inside Story of the Mission to kill Osama bin Laden," is scheduled to be released next week.

So somebody is telling porkies...or everyone is. Standard.

Let it go.

Edited by brickhistory

Colorful character aspersion and suggestion of motives.

Inaccurate but colorful.

Wait, what? Maybe I misunderstood you (which I doubt since you have never denied it) but don't recreate history.

Don't put this on me and don't make this into a personal attack because it certainly isn't. Just because you don't like me doesn't mean I feel the same way about you and thus have some intent to make you look bad.

So somebody is telling porkies...or everyone is. Standard.

Oh my, conspiracy abounds!

Still doesn't answer why we should give a shit.

Let it go.

LOL.

I'll stick around until you can explain why anyone should give a shit about getting the exact details of a highly classified mission out in public.

Or to ensure getting the last word in.

Ok, slowly and paraphrasing for brevity and for my understanding of the thread thus far-

1. I posted the SEAL's "account."

2. You rolled in with "he's got a big mouth and out to make some $$$" with nothing to back it up other than your say so. Which isn't always so, IMHO.

3. I said I didn't know the guy and wouldn't say that about a SEAL but if you think he's out for $$ and fame how is that any different than the "official" story's, many times corrected, purpose?

4. You then claimed I had a conspiracy woody.

5. Then you wanted to call me out on why anyone should care. Is the "we" royal or do you really speak for everyone?

- Well, I do, so that's one. The "read" count on this thread increases (could be to see the tussle between two ORFs over the last carton of Lucky Strikes...), and one person besides you and me commented.

6. I have tried multiple times to take this from personal back to the topic including finding verification of the apparently ficticious account by the SEAL in question. So he's making things up as did the official account and I expressed no surprise.

I find the topic interesting. Classified details of current TTPs obviously shouldn't be discussed as you attempt to paint me as wanting to do, but the accurate story within those parameters of THE culmination of the specific events of 9/11 should be told. Be a helluva read, something good news for Team USA, and a testament to those who performed the mission. Without reflective belts I'd bet, so there's that as well.

So stick around, I'm not implying otherwise. I am suggesting that the personal innuendo cease or be moved to the bar and leave this thread for discussion on topic.

Edited by brickhistory

• 1 month later...

http://www.politico....0112/71118.html

Rep. Peter King said Thursday that the Defense Department has launched an investigation into whether its personnel leaked information to producers for a film — to be directed by Academy Award winner Kathryn Bigelow — on the May 2011 raid that killed Osama bin Laden.

The Defense Department said in a letter released Thursday by King’s committee that Pentagon officials decided to launch the investigation “immediately” after an initial review by the Office of the Deputy Inspector General for Intelligence and Special Program Assessments. The letter from the Pentagon was marked Dec. 23, 2011, and King received it last Friday, according to his office.

The matter stems from an Aug. 6, 2011, New York Times piece by columnist Maureen Dowd, who wrote that Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal were getting “top-level access to the most classified mission in history” for their movie, which would’ve given a “homestretch boost” to Obama’s reelection campaign with an October release.

The film’s release date is now set for Dec. 19, a Sony spokeswoman said Thursday.

Edited by brickhistory

• 3 months later...

Saw this on the Army Crimes. WTF is this all about? Why couldn't the Pentagon just reject the FOIA request due to potential harm to National Security? I personally do not see the necessity to publish the photos, but it seems the Pentagon is only creating more trouble with its bizarre "could not find" response to a legit FOIA request.

http://www.armytimes...equests-031512/

EDITED to remove article quote:

Pentagon "could not find"

- any photographs or video taken during raid or showing Bin Ladin's body

- any images of Bin Ladin body on the aircraft carrier

- any death certificate

- autopsy report

- DNA ID test results

- plans for disposal of body

- any emails about the mission

Weren't some news orgs shown the photos shortly after the raid, but didn't want to show them due to their graphic nature?

Weren't some news orgs shown the photos shortly after the raid, but didn't want to show them due to their graphic nature?

"2"

I didn't see the FOIA request, but it's possible they screwed up and asked for unclassified information (which there is apparently none)

"2"

I didn't see the FOIA request, but it's possible they screwed up and asked for unclassified information (which there is apparently none)

FOIA is only for unclassified information, the classified stuff is not releasable under the first of the nine FOIA exemptions...

Anything marked "For Official Use Only" must be exempt under one of the other eight categories.

• 3 weeks later...

http://washingtonexaminer.com/politics/washington-secrets/2012/05/obamas-bin-laden-leaks-angered-military/622606

When they published their revealing book last August about the nation’s fight against terrorism, the authors, two New York Times national security reporters, immediately felt heat from the Pentagon for dishing too much operational info about the killing of Osama bin Laden.

“I was stopped by a very senior officer in the special operations community who basically wanted to rip my lungs out,” said Thom Shanker, who co-authored “Counterstrike: The Untold Story of America's Secret Campaign Against Al Qaeda,” with Eric Schmitt.

But, he revealed at a counter terrorism expo this week, the info came directly and officially from the White House, not some garbage can digging operation. “I said to him, ‘Sir, that information came officially to us from the podium at the White House,’” Shanker said.

He added, “Your civilian leaders make choices about describing missions, perhaps for their own partisan political ends, perhaps to show the nation that their tax dollars are being spent well, but that’s the way it is.”

Shanker, an acclaimed Pentagon reporter and author, said he had a little advice for the unidentified officer: If you make general, “this is part of your new world.”

Emphasis added.

• 8 months later...
Guest CannonCrashPad

Pretty good article/interview with "The Shooter"

http://www.esquire.c...-2?src=soc_fcbk

He decides to leave the military with 16 years in, then complains of inability to get a job and pay for health care, and his father laments that he's taken monumental risks but can't get paid for it? I think we know he has plenty of job opportunities that pay well. Not a fan of this article.

He decides to leave the military with 16 years in, then complains of inability to get a job and pay for health care, and his father laments that he's taken monumental risks but can't get paid for it? I think we know he has plenty of job opportunities that pay well. Not a fan of this article.

Maybe he wasn't briefed that you had to stay to 20 years to join the check of the month program...

Been trying to read the article during breaks of my day, I am not overly impressed so far. It's more whining than anything, the guy gets out so close to retirement and wonders why there aren't any jobs outside of private security contractor gigs. No fucking shit!

It's a good lesson to all that not every military skill transfers into the civilian world. Have fun during your career, but be prepared as it won't last forever!

And the retirement plan ain't no secret either. Given his career, he could have easily found a job in the Navy that didn't require him to be a frontline pipehitter.

Anyone whose read Yellow Green Beret, Chester has a pretty accurate description of SEALs...Sleep, Eat and Lift!

• Upvote 1

It is so annoying to hear all this negative stuff about military retirement on the news because of the SEAL who shot Osama. The military retirement is awesome...All you have to do is get to 20 years and you get paid for life.

Why would this SEAL try to make the military look so bad after he sacrificed so much. I hope the writer did not try to spin some of his comments but I am sure the writer jumped at the opportunity to make the military look like slave labor.

Edited by one
  • Upvote 1

I hope the writer did not try to spin some of his comments but I am sure the writer jumped at the opportunity to make the military look like slave labor.

http://twitchy.com/2...sama-bin-laden/

And get this: Rather than issue a correction and apology for smearing the military, Bronstein is standing by his bogus story. According to Stars and Stripes reporter Megan McCloskey, Bronstein said “the assertion that the government gave the SEAL ‘nothing’ in terms of health care is both fair and accurate, because the SEAL didn’t know the VA benefits existed.”

What?

Even more absurd: Bronstein stated that there wasn’t room in his 15,000-word article to include any information about the former SEAL’s eligibility for VA health benefits.

• 6 months later...

Card Game in Situation Room

Reggie Love spills the beans in an interview. Reggie Love is asked to talk about the day Osama Bin Laden was killed. Reggie explains:

“Most people were like down in the Situation Room and [President Obama] was like, ‘I’m not going to be down there, I can’t watch this entire thing,’ So he, myself, Pete Souza the White House photographer, Marvin, we must have played 15 hands, 15 games of spades.”

Apparently YouTube is already working at protecting the White House, and has already scrubbed evidence of the Reggie Love interview. An alternative YouTube link (below) was found with the segment in question, hat tip ORYR. The full 8:59 minute interview can be viewed here at LiveLeak.

Edited by ExBoneOSO

Reggie Love talks about his experiences working for the President and what happened during the Bin Ladin raid.

Start the video at 6:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdCnYQcRjdw

YGBFSM.

In my years at Carolina, Reggie Love (Dook basketball/football player) thought it was a good idea to get pass-out drunk at a fraternity house in Chapel Hill and ended up with teabag photos on the interwebs. No, I was not there.