RIF

USAF Pilot

That brings up a good question... would the private sector really care about an Art. 15 if the member received an Honorable Discharge?

What happens in Thailand stays in Thailand....

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure the multi-Q3s will play into the RIF. I'm sure you know people who are not great in the plane but are good officers. I'm not saying that's ideal, but it's reality. These people still serve a function in the massive bureaucracy to which we belong. Those officers who should be updating their civilian resumes are trying to creatively hide an Art. 15 from their potential employer.

That brings up a good question... would the private sector really care about an Art. 15 if the member received an Honorable Discharge?

Show us your long-form AF 942...

I'd say it would be highly dependent on the nature of the job, the employer, and the person making the hiring decision.

Guest sleepynav

I'm a prior Herk Nav, now UPT Stud, here at NAS CC and I'm just hearing about all of this. I'm a 2005 O-3, and I guess I need to fill out a RRF? How do I know if I need to fill one out? AF Studs here in the Navy program are so out of the loop its not even funny... we don't even have .mil email accounts here. I found out about this RIF deal for my year group through a casual conversation tonight on an out-and-back to MFE! Here I am getting debriefed in a Logan's Roadhouse in McAllen, TX and the IP says... "Hey, so have they told you if your meeting a RIF this summer?"... "uh... no?!?! Do they RIF students?!?!"

Guess I better start figuring out how to make a 92T0 Capt sound good on paper....

I'm a prior Herk Nav, now UPT Stud, here at NAS CC and I'm just hearing about all of this. I'm a 2005 O-3, and I guess I need to fill out a RRF? How do I know if I need to fill one out? AF Studs here in the Navy program are so out of the loop its not even funny... we don't even have .mil email accounts here. I found out about this RIF deal for my year group through a casual conversation tonight on an out-and-back to MFE! Here I am getting debriefed in a Logan's Roadhouse in McAllen, TX and the IP says... "Hey, so have they told you if your meeting a RIF this summer?"... "uh... no?!?! Do they RIF students?!?!"

Guess I better start figuring out how to make a 92T0 Capt sound good on paper....

sleepynav,

Yes, you do need to fill out the RRF. However, if you were board selected to attend UPT, you're probably not in the bottom 5% of all officers in the target year groups. You already made that cut when you got picked above others by the UPT board. Go to the AFPC web site to get all the details about submitting the RRF, but I wouldn't sweat the outcome.

Sleepynav,

Who is the Senior USAF IP at NASCC these days? Find them and ask the question or the AF Admin folks. They should be able to get you the info you need. An RRF will probably have to be submitted. The skipper or AF commander down there that you fall under will be responsible to whoever your senior rater is to get this thing submitted.

Guest sleepynav

Got on the portal today and read the AFPC stuff... The public info sounds worse than it looks. They really arent cutting that many folks either. Apparently folks in formal training are in thier own category as well, good for me. Apparently the system is supposed to be transparent to a formal student and nothing is required on my end, hence why I had not heard anything. Thanks for the heads up though guys. Good luck to all.

I asked about VSP (and by association the RIF) in a staff meeting on or about the day of the release of the PSDM and the CC hadn't heard of it yet. Since then he's sent out a few official fwds to those of us in the vulnerable year groups. I don't think I got an AFPC email about the RIF. I did get one this week (or rather, my CC forwarded it to me) saying I'm "highly vulnerable" for a non-vol 365 though.

Guest Gucci Crew

Latest email I got from leadership states, "...success of the Voluntary Separation Program (VSP) relaxed the RIF target from

10% to 5%."

Our SQ/GP/WG hasn't sent out anything specific to RIF year-groups despite my FLT/CC being e-tasked yesterday to file our retention recommendations....

...we did get VSP info half-way through March though :|

Latest email I got from leadership states, "...success of the Voluntary Separation Program (VSP) relaxed the RIF target from

10% to 5%."

So...we all still have to fill out this inane paperwork on the even smaller off-chance they'll RIF a rated officer that they wouldn't grant VSP to?

That's not good news. That makes this whole process even more stupid.

Let's call it what it is...a chance to throw out people with UCMJ actions. Because short of that, you're probably not in the bottom 5% of the USAF.

So when my year group hits the Majors board, if it is a 90% promotion rate it really will be an 85%. Why not just not RIF and Majors board the 03 year group at the same time, draw the rate at 85% if you don't get picked up then you go to the tribal council where you will face RIF action. Would seem a lot more efficient this way.

Guest Gucci Crew

"Good morning, You have been selected as an eligible member for Board CY11 Officer Reduction in Force Board. This board will convene on 19 Sep 11."

Just received an email that I've been 'selected as an eligible member' for the RIF Board - I do love the choice of words. Looks like they are sticking with the original schedule below.

MILESTONES

23 Mar 10 PSDM released to field

23 Mar 10 Webcast to Force Support Community

25 Mar 10 Official Public Release

24 May 10: RRF Accounting Date: The officer’s Senior Rater (SR) is determined based on the unit the officer is assigned to on this date.

3 Jun 10: AFPC/PB Req Pull Slips/Labels Officer Preselection Briefs (OPBs), RRF notices, and DQHBs forwarded in-system by HQ AFPC/DPSOS

18 Jun 10 MPS suspense to distribute OPBs with instructions to eligible officers

29 Jun 10 MLs ensured eligible officers are assigned to the proper PAS code and SRID by this date

30 Jun 10: AFPC/DPSIDEB flow SR RIPs/DQHBs

29 Jul 10: RRF cutoff date: earliest date SRs can sign RRFs. MAJCOMs will establish suspense dates for receipt from bases.

27 Aug 10: All completed RRFs and signed Master Eligibility Lists are due to HQ AFPC/ DPSIDEB.

13 Sep 10 RRF copies are to be handed out to members NLT this date. (NOTE: Management Levels will give subordinate units clearance as to earliest date the forms can be given to the officers.)

Officer Selection Briefs (OSBs) for eligibles will be extracted for the board.

20 Sep 10 Last date MPS elements may update corrections to OSBs in MilPDS

21 Sep 10: Earliest date AFPC/DPSOS will accept manual update requests to correct OSBs. Please share this with other MPS elements which may need to send message updates.

24 Sep 10: Cutoff date for letters to the board. Letters arriving after 2359 hrs Central Standard Time (CST) on 24 Sep 10 will not be presented to the board for consideration.

27 Sep 10: Board convenes at HQ AFPC.

Nov 10: Selects identified in AFPROMS. Exact date will be announced later and will be contingent upon SecAF approval of the board results.

Nov 10: Notify selectees. Exact date will be announced later and will be contingent upon SecAF approval of the board results.

1 Mar 11: NLT separation date

I read on AFPC FAQ today that they're now only going to RIF 300 personnel. SO that's 300 from VSP and 300 from the RIF which is a far cry from the 2000-2500 they bandied about the first part of this year. I guess they're going to have to do another round in FY12.

They couldn't even get the year right.

I read on AFPC FAQ today that they're now only going to RIF 300 personnel. SO that's 300 from VSP and 300 from the RIF which is a far cry from the 2000-2500 they bandied about the first part of this year. I guess they're going to have to do another round in FY12.

So you're telling me there's a chance...

This whole RIF board thing is a cluster of paperwork. Create PRF-like folder, with 8 lines of narrative, for every 03-05 captain and every 00-02 major in our squadron...oh wait, that's about 69 folders. And I'm willing to 100% guarantee none of these people will be RIF'd since all of our VSP applicants were turned down and there isn't an overage of 11SX or 12SX folks anywhere.

Son of a bitch air force...