F-35 Lightning info

HiFlyer

Isn't the 33d FW at Eglin suppose to be a "training base" as well? They've already re-built hangers and squadron buildings down there.

The way I understand it is Eglin is actually owned by AFMC and the 33d FW is a tenant unit. So when our squadron joins the 33d FW we'll be a tenant unit of a tenant unit...

I never understood Eglin as the choice for the F-35 RTU. I was down there a couple years ago with the Reserves looking at a TFI set up with the test wing. This also involved some F-35 issues and the topic came up. Eglin just is not big enough for all the US and Coalition training. The runway configuration, the airspace, and the ranges just pale in comparison with Luke for the amount of training required.

Eglin just is not big enough for all the US and Coalition training. The runway configuration, the airspace, and the ranges just pale in comparison with Luke for the amount of training required.

What's good for training does not get votes.

F-35 completes first airborne weapons separation

8/9/2012 By PEO(JSF) Public Affairs , Headquarters Marine Corps

PATUXENT RIVER, Md. — The F-35 Lightning II accomplished a significant test milestone Aug. 8 when the aircraft successfully released a weapon in flight.

BF-3, a short take-off and vertical landing F-35 variant, released an inert 1,000-pound GBU-32 Joint Direct Attack Munition (JDAM) separation weapon over water in an Atlantic test range while traveling at 400 knots at an altitude of 4,200 feet.

“While this weapons separation test is just one event in a series of hundreds of flights and thousands of test points that we are executing this year, it does represent a significant entry into a new phase of testing for the F-35 program,” said Navy Capt. Erik Etz, director of test for F-35 naval variants. “Today’s release of a JDAM was the result of extraordinary effort by our team of maintainers, engineers, pilots and others who consistently work long hours to deliver F-35 warfighting capability to the U.S. services and our international partners.”

The release was the first time for any version of the F-35 to conduct an airborne weapon separation, as well as the first from an internal weapons bay for a fighter aircraft designated for the U.S. Marine Corps, the United Kingdom and Italy. The milestone marks the start of validating the F-35’s capability to employ precision weapons and allow pilots to engage the enemy on the ground and in the air.

“[using an internal weapons bay] speaks to how much capability the JSF is going to bring to the troops,” said Dan Levin, Lockheed Martin test pilot for the mission. “Stealth, fifth-generation avionics and precision weapons … coupled with the flexible mission capability of the short take-off and vertical landing F-35B is going to be huge for our warfighters.”

An aerial weapons separation test checks for proper release of the weapon from its carriage system and trajectory away from the aircraft. It is the culmination of a significant number of prerequisite tests, including ground fit checks, ground pit drops and aerial captive carriage and environment flights to ensure the system is working properly before expanding the test envelope in the air.

Aircraft and land-based test monitoring systems collected data from the successful separation, which is in review at the F-35 integrated test force at Naval Air Station Patuxent River.

The F-35B is the variant of the Joint Strike Fighter designed for use by U.S. Marine Corps, as well as F-35 international partners in the United Kingdom and Italy. The F-35B is capable of short take-offs and vertical landings to enable air power projection from amphibious ships, ski-jump aircraft carriers and expeditionary airfields. The F-35B is undergoing test and evaluation at NAS Patuxent River, Md., and Edwards Air Force Base, Calif., prior to delivery to the fleet.

http://www2.marines....px#.UCX_h44Rve7

Edited by Vno

It may not be the best/most beautiful airplane but its what my generation is going to have to get used to. I had the chance to chat with an F-35 test pilot and he had nothing but good things to say about it so I'm staying optimistic.

Edited by Justanothercadet

I had the chance to chat with an F-35 test pilot and he had nothing but good things to say about it so I'm staying optimistic.

Then it must be a great plane because if it sucked, I'm sure he would've let you know.

• Upvote 2

Then it must be a great plane because if it sucked, I'm sure he would've let you know.

He admitted it wasn't perfect and they're still working a lot of the bugs out of it, but compared to the 16 and 18 (hawgs a diff story) the new capabilities it brings to the fight are game-changing.

Exactly what game changing capabilities does it bring to the fight?

I knew someone would post that question, and the answer is no I don't have a TS clearance so I don't have a clue what I'm talking about other than the unclass stuff I was told (which is almost all public knowledge). But to hear it straight from the source was reassuring.

I knew someone would post that question, and the answer is no I don't have a TS clearance so I don't have a clue what I'm talking about other than the unclass stuff I was told (which is almost all public knowledge). But to hear it straight from the source was reassuring.

just another cadet...copy all.

• Upvote 1

Just curious, does anyone know how long it took for the Eagle/Viper/Hornet/Hog to release its first ordinance compared to the JSF during the development phase? Seems like it took the JSF quite a while to finally get to this stage.

Take the time to read these books, my friend. If, by chance, you've read them before, you should read them again.

http://www.amazon.co...rds=mind+of+war

http://www.amazon.co...1&keywords=boyd

Just curious, does anyone know how long it took for the Eagle/Viper/Hornet/Hog to release its first ordinance compared to the JSF during the development phase? Seems like it took the JSF quite a while to finally get to this stage.

Good question. The time from design/engineering to full production on the Viper/Hornet was really short, around 5 years. I'm guessing munitions were released sometime around the competitive fly off period between the two jets, a couple years prior.

Take the time to read these books, my friend. If, by chance, you've read them before, you should read them again.

http://www.amazon.co...rds=mind+of+war

http://www.amazon.co...1&keywords=boyd

Good question. The time from design/engineering to full production on the Viper/Hornet was really short, around 5 years. I'm guessing munitions were released sometime around the competitive fly off period between the two jets, a couple years prior.

The mention of Boyd reminds me of something JSF related Bill Sweetman said a few years back..."The Navy is not happy with the new joint-service fighter. It's gained weight during development, but more importantly, the Navy isn't sure that the capabilities it provides are what they want to spend more money on. It's tempting to scrap it and go with an alternative from a company with recent carrier jet experience. The obstacle is a headstrong Secretary of Defense who's staked his reputation on the joint program, but the signals are clear: the moment he's gone the Navy's going to bail.

But enough about the TFX. What's new with the JSF?"

And yeah, kind of hard to do a legitimate comparison due to the completely different development timelines involved between the F-X program, the LWF competition and the A-X on the one hand and then the JSF program on the other.

Of course, that difference in development timelines in and of itself kind of provides an answer to the unspoken question here.

It is a shame more people don't look past John Boyd's antics and study his genius.

He was a visionary, and like all radical visionaries he was hated for going against the established norm and suggesting change. I can think of several other people who were also disliked for standing up and doing the same.

First Dutch F-35 flew this week:

f_001_denmark_f35_264.jpg