All-Seeing Blimp Could Be Afghanistan’s Biggest Brain

Whitman

The should add a digital marque like the goodyear one on it that says stuff like "I see you assholes" and "Smile, you're dead" all in arabic

We had aerostats over most of the FOBs in Iraq. We joked at the time about trying to make it more of a public relations move by replacing the balloons with ones from the Macy's parade. We thought that a pig balloon would be a great way to let the locals know we care.

post-3269-0-49553600-1295572260_thumb.jp

The should add a digital marque like the goodyear one on it that says stuff like "I see you assholes" and "Smile, you're dead" all in arabic

Technically wouldn't it be in Pashtun even though most of them are illiterate maybe Arabic for those hard core Al Quieda still left in the theater.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Technically wouldn't it be in Pashtun even though most of them are illiterate maybe Arabic for those hard core Al Quieda still left in the theater.

Hah, right, for the 6-9% that can read.

Edited by SurelySerious

Techhhnically it would be Pashtu. The N is only added to the adjective form when describing the poeple or their ways. Not that I care or anything, though za pa pushtu hobory koyum. Well, at least I used to before I drank it from my memory :).

• Upvote 1

The Army found a way to provide continous ISR coverage from the air without us...way to go blue.

Not sure why this took a negative vote but it raises an excellent point.

Techhhnically it would be Pashtu. The N is only added to the adjective form when describing the poeple or their ways. Not that I care or anything, though za pa pushtu hobory koyum. Well, at least I used to before I drank it from my memory :).

Thank you, info is power.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Guest Hund Von Krieg

Archer is the best. But no...Please dont send pilots to fly this...give it the navy they can be airseamen.

We had aerostats over most of the FOBs in Iraq. We joked at the time about trying to make it more of a public relations move by replacing the balloons with ones from the Macy's parade. We thought that a pig balloon would be a great way to let the locals know we care.

post-3269-0-49553600-1295572260_thumb.jp

even better make the balloons look like mohammad!

• 1 year later...

“You’re hearing one thing from the war fighter, and then another from the service that’s sponsoring the work,” Bither said. “That’s confusing.” ■

Email: dmajumdar@defensenews.com.

Sadly, no, that is ops normal in today's Air Force. I might add that quote to the AF motto thread.

• Upvote 1

Sure, the need for this thin presently exists. The reality is that there's no way we could test and field this contraption before the 2014 pull-out date. It becomes a complete white elephant if we decide to pull-out early (sts). It pisses me off to no end that we would even consider going forward with a vehicle that will never have any mission systems on it.

Sure, the need for this thin presently exists. The reality is that there's no way we could test and field this contraption before the 2014 pull-out date. It becomes a complete white elephant if we decide to pull-out early (sts). It pisses me off to no end that we would even consider going forward with a vehicle that will never have any mission systems on it.

Don't know what happened to SOCALs original post, but yes this is a travesty. This thing was definitely only ever going to work in a permissive, counter insurgency environment. The article cited the company president, Mr (formerly Gen) Deptula, former Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance at Headquarters Air Force. That is why we are continuing to buy this while at the same time shit-canning the brand new C-27s.

Edited by SuperWSO

Don't know what happened to SOCALs original post, but yes this is a travesty. This thing was definitely only ever going to work in a permissive, counter insurgency environment. The article cited the company president, Mr (formerly Gen) Deptula, former head of the AF ISR Agency. That is why we are continuing to buy this while at the same time shit-canning the brand new C-27s.

Corporate Air Force...

Smaller versions of these things are going up all over theater. As usual, Air Force leadership has no long term vision and has completely ignored this program. Flying jets is more fun, got it, but I really wish they would understand that protecting the jet mission means doing less glamorous stuff like UAS and blimps also. The Army found a way to provide continous ISR coverage from the air without us...way to go blue.

I don't know why you want to do more stuff like blimps. Let the Army stare at the same spot on the ground all day so i don't have to. Call me when you find something that needs killin.

The article cited the company president, Mr (formerly Gen) Deptula, former head of the AF ISR Agency...

Deptula was Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance at Headquarters Air Force until he retired in October 2010; he was never the Commander of AFISRA...

Deptula was Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance at Headquarters Air Force until he retired in October 2010; he was never the Commander of AFISRA...

My bad, should have looked it up before posting. I've corrected the offending post.

Edited by SuperWSO