All-Seeing Blimp Could Be Afghanistan’s Biggest Brain

Whitman

Come this fall, there will be a new and extremely powerful supercomputer in Afghanistan. But it won’t be in Dave Petraeus’ headquarters in Kabul or at some three-letter agency’s operations center in Kandahar. It’ll be floating 20,000 feet above the warzone, aboard a giant spy blimp that watches and listens to everything for miles around.

That is, if an ambitious, $211 million crash program called “Blue Devil” works out as planned. As of now, the airship’s “freakishly large” hull — seven times the size of the Goodyear Blimp’s — has yet to be put together.

Full article:

ISR Blimp

how are they going to stop the hadjis from shooting at the freakishly large blimp?

floating 20,000 feet above the warzone

Although I could see a problem when it needs to land and refuel.

Edited by SurelySerious

Smaller versions of these things are going up all over theater. As usual, Air Force leadership has no long term vision and has completely ignored this program. Flying jets is more fun, got it, but I really wish they would understand that protecting the jet mission means doing less glamorous stuff like UAS and blimps also. The Army found a way to provide continous ISR coverage from the air without us...way to go blue.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Technically it's a rigid airship

'Ship,' yes. Isn't the Navy supposed to operate these things? I bet they have some "seamen" that would love to operate in a great big phallus...

FM

Edited by GrndPndr