Military retirement under attack

GoAround

Let me make it easy for these congresscritters. Listen real good Congress, I'll go slow: I ain't doing any of this shit for a 401k and I ain't doing any of this shit for a benefit payout a day later than the day I stop doing the job, right ricky tick. Comprende? I'll curtail/torpedo my PT test twice the next day. I have options and my identity is not married to this uniform. Plan accordingly.

Signed,

~A financially literate servicemember who can count with his fingers.

It's not rocket surgery, Congress. Good for the goose good for the gander, color-by-numbers type of shit. And good luck recruiting my son. See how that works?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Let me make it easy for these congresscritters. Listen real good Congress, I'll go slow: I ain't doing any of this shit for a 401k and I ain't doing any of this shit for a benefit payout a day later than the day I stop doing the job, right ricky tick. Comprende? I'll curtail/torpedo my PT test twice the next day. I have options and my identity is not married to this uniform. Plan accordingly.

Signed,

~A financially literate servicemember who can count with his fingers.

It's not rocket surgery, Congress. Good for the goose good for the gander, color-by-numbers type of shit. And good luck recruiting my son. See how that works?

So you're just here for the pension?

So you're just here for the pension?

How many people would voluntarily work for a company that furloughs and terminates people with little notice? Demands a one way employment contract? Will deploy you to some crap-hole-country for a year to teach people to fly who want to kill you?

It becomes a job after a few years. Benefit of staying must be greater than the benefit of leaving. For most people TriCare and the Pension weigh very heavily in that calculation. Good people know what they are worth and where they are going.

• Upvote 4

How many people would voluntarily work for a company that furloughs and terminates people with little notice? Demands a one way employment contract? Will deploy you to some crap-hole-country for a year to teach people to fly who want to kill you?

It becomes a job after a few years. Benefit of staying must be greater than the benefit of leaving. For most people TriCare and the Pension weigh very heavily in that calculation. Good people know what they are worth and where they are going.

Shacked it with that one. Now that congress has tested the waters in regards to taking bites out of mil retirements, many folks on the fence now have a reason to jump the other way. The negative trend and perceptions are going to be VERY difficult for the USAF to reverse.

The 36 month TIG is only for your retired rank (which is waiverable down to 2 years TIG)

If you are a Lt Col with 2 yr TIG, you retire and the waiver is approved for the < 3 yr TIG, then you are a Lt Col (ret) but your pay is still based on the high 3, so in this case, it would be 2 x years with O-5 pay and 1 year with O-4 pay.

Cap-10

• Upvote 1

The 36 month TIG is only for your retired rank (which is waiverable down to 2 years TIG)

If you are a Lt Col with 2 yr TIG, you retire and the waiver is approved for the < 3 yr TIG, then you are a Lt Col (ret) but your pay is still based on the high 3, so in this case, it would be 2 x years with O-5 pay and 1 year with O-4 pay.

Cap-10

Slight derail, but is there any disadvantage to having a lower retired rank than your final active duty rank? I never understood why this 36-month TIG rule would have any effect on retention or any other matters. When it's time to go, it's time to go. Why would someone stay in longer just to have different letters on his retired ID?

Most companies that furlough or terminate people do so with less notice than the Air Force. They at least let you keep Tricare for 6 months and you get severance pay with VSP or RIF. You had no idea the Air Force would deploy you?

• Upvote 1

Slight derail, but is there any disadvantage to having a lower retired rank than your final active duty rank? I never understood why this 36-month TIG rule would have any effect on retention or any other matters. When it's time to go, it's time to go. Why would someone stay in longer just to have different letters on his retired ID?

Dude......it affects your retired pay. 50% of the average of your last 3 years of service, for the rest of your life. Retiring one grade lower will cost you half a million dollars in the long run. I'd call that a disadvantage personally.

• Downvote 5

Using a guy/gal that retires at 20 years with the high 3 years consisting of 2 years as a LtCol and one year as a Major vs 3 years as a LtCol.

(O-5 pay)$8,422.20 + $8,422.20 + (O-4 pay)$7,356.60 = $24,201/3 = $8,067/2 = $4,033.50 (50% of base pay)

(O-5 pay)$8,422.20/2 = $4,211.10 (50% of base pay)

OK obviously not a math major or an expert on the Top-3 retirement sysytem, yet, but it looks like only a difference of $177.60. I think it would take a little over 235 years to lose half a million dollars. Feel free to correct my logic if I am wrong.

http://militarypay.defense.gov/retirement/ad/03_highthree.html

Edited by WABoom

Let me ask another way. Sometimes, as a voluntary force shaping tool, USAF waives TIG to 24 months to retire in grade. Does that really motivate anyone to leave the service a year earlier than they otherwise would have? If so, why? What are the advantages to staying in long enough to retire in grade?

Let me ask another way. Sometimes, as a voluntary force shaping tool, USAF waives TIG to 24 months to retire in grade. Does that really motivate anyone to leave the service a year earlier than they otherwise would have? If so, why? What are the advantages to staying in long enough to retire in grade?

I'm not familiar with this program, but I'm guessing this is a top 3 waiver for retirement calculation.

If so, I know multiple NCOs who would jump at this, particularly as HYT for E6 is now 20 years, so plenty of recent MSgts could bail at about 21 to 22 years instead. Also, this factors into plenty of E-to-O programs which require extra years to retire in the O category. It could definitely be the deciding factor for some folks.

• Downvote 1

Dude......it affects your retired pay. 50% of the average of your last 3 years of service, for the rest of your life. Retiring one grade lower will cost you half a million dollars in the long run. I'd call that a disadvantage personally.

I don't think you understand math.

The question was, if you retire as an O5 with only two years in grade....what's the practical effect? It has zero effect on your retirement income, it means your retired ID card says says you're a major.

• Upvote 1

I don't think you understand math.

The question was, if you retire as an O5 with only two years in grade....what's the practical effect? It has zero effect on your retirement income, it means your retired ID card says says you're a major.

Who would the regular American believe more on Fox/CNN? Maj John Doe or Lt Col John Doe?

• Downvote 3

I know at least one retired O-5 who did better than his friend that retired as an O-6. I plan to talk to that O-5(ret) during my exit strategy development. As he said, he's making "silly money." He also said, given what he makes he has no question as to why defense programs cost so much these days. Yes, I'm a hypocrite.

I know at least one retired O-5 who did better than his friend that retired as an O-6. I plan to talk to that O-5(ret) during my exit strategy development. As he said, he's making "silly money." He also said, given what he makes he has no question as to why defense programs cost so much these days. Yes, I'm a hypocrite.

Don't worry. We're all rent seekers in this life...

/cynic

Incorrect dude. it is called "High 3", not "Last 3". You retirement computation will be based on your highest three years of pay. The only real impact is what it says on your DD214 and your ID card.

The people you know and can influence that are still in making decisions about future projects are the value in post military life. The jobs in the five sided puzzle palace that everyone openly eschews, those guys are often the ones you see at the conferences a year later wearing a business suit talking to their uniformed buddies. I think knowledge of key acquisition systems and the players involved are worth more than then rank in most cases.