Air Force Reinstate Captain Selection Boards

Either that, or just join the ANG/AFRES. You have to be a complete retard to NOT get promoted to Captain, and that's a bit of a stretch.

Pretty much the same on active duty, I'd have thought. Only the simplest of tools can't make a 95th percentile.

Edited by pitts2112

Can't find the numbers from last year, but there were a few folks promoted above the zone. This year, there will be substantially more APZ promotions, IMHO. Many wings (including mine) didn't take the board as seriously as they should have, and had a pretty substantial number of non-selects (8 not selected from 45 OG Lts). Almost all of those had some sort of negative mark in their records. Much of it came down to them having an ASBC TR, IQT TR, and one OPR. Many commanders have taken a "special interest" in some of their Lts that they feel should have been promoted. For those Lts that meet the board with a DP, the PRF is blank. One way to ensure an APZ gets promoted is for them to get a DP. I have a feeling these blank PRFs with DPs will be used for a number of passed over Lts.

I have heard of other wings giving their DPs to the folks with only one OPR or with weak OPRs and letting their strong folks with strats compete with P's. That's bullshit if you ask me, but it looks good for the Wg/CC if all of their Lts get promoted. Our Wg/CC last year gave out about 6 DNPs...he felt like promotion decisions should be made by the Wing Commander and not by a central selection board.

Bottom line, your friend has a chance, but only if someone is looking out for them. If he meets the board APZ with a P, he will not be promoted.

Many wings (including mine) didn't take the board as seriously as they should have, and had a pretty substantial number of non-selects (8 not selected from 45 OG Lts).

Holy shit!

Almost all of those had some sort of negative mark in their records. Much of it came down to them having an ASBC TR, IQT TR, and one OPR.

How is that their fault?

Many commanders have taken a "special interest" in some of their Lts that they feel should have been promoted. For those Lts that meet the board with a DP, the PRF is blank. One way to ensure an APZ gets promoted is for them to get a DP. I have a feeling these blank PRFs with DPs will be used for a number of passed over Lts.

That's bullshit if you ask me, but it looks good for the Wg/CC if all of their Lts get promoted.

You really think it is bullshit if the Wg/CC figures out a way to get everyone promoted to O-3? I would say he deserves a beer on the LPA tab.

How is that their fault?

My post was unclear. The Lts that had derogatory information (failed training, DUI, LOR) only had two TRs and one bland OPR on top, so they could not possibly cover-up or recover from their derogatory info. Out of the 8 Lts that didnt get promoted from my group, 3 failed UPT, 1 DUI, 3 with LORs, 1 failed ASBC. We have about 7 other Lts that failed or quit UPT that did get promoted, so it was all based on how people did after being re-classed, as it should be.

You really think it is bullshit if the Wg/CC figures out a way to get everyone promoted to O-3? I would say he deserves a beer on the LPA tab.

Yes, I really do. It's nice for the Lts at that wing. It sucks for the Lts at another wing that might be passed over because they are their wing's bottom 20% competing against top third Lts from the other wing. The promotion system blows as it is, it can only be made slightly better if everyone plays by the same rules.

Yes, I really do. It's nice for the Lts at that wing. It sucks for the Lts at another wing that might be passed over because they are their wing's bottom 20% competing against top third Lts from the other wing. The promotion system blows as it is, it can only be made slightly better if everyone plays by the same rules.

You're damn right it is nice for the Lts in that wing. You don't know if all those LTs were full up or not. If they were, they should be promoted. If that means the Wg/CC needs to do whatever is required so they get promoted, fine.

WWROD

Many wings (including mine) didn't take the board as seriously as they should have, and had a pretty substantial number of non-selects (8 not selected from 45 OG Lts)

Out of the 8 Lts that didnt get promoted from my group, 3 failed UPT, 1 DUI, 3 with LORs, 1 failed ASBC.

And you think these guys didn't get promoted because your wing didn't take the board seriously? They spent their first couple years fucking up - there were 1000 other dudes who didn't spend their first couple of years failing training, PME, and getting DUIs.

Here's an idea - if you don't want to end up in the bottom 5% of your year group, don't get a DUI, LOR or fail PME (ASBC?! YGBFSM!!).

Technique only.

• Upvote 4

If you fail ASBC you aren't fit to lead a wino into a liquor store.

Honestly, of those 8 passed over, 5 are clean kills. The 3 washouts depend on the circumstances I guess. It sucks if they are all dudes who just couldn't get past the airsickness, but if they are those clowns who show up knowing they are going to SIE after their dollar ride then they deserve what they got.

And you think these guys didn't get promoted because your wing didn't take the board seriously? They spent their first couple years fucking up - there were 1000 other dudes who didn't spend their first couple of years failing training, PME, and getting DUIs.

Here's an idea - if you don't want to end up in the bottom 5% of your year group, don't get a DUI, LOR or fail PME (ASBC?! YGBFSM!!).

Technique only.

For the DUI/LORs, I totally agree. One of the UPT washouts was for motion sickness, he then had a delay starting training and had one OPR when he met the board, and his OPR was for training. Nobody at my base really put a lot of thought into PRFs last year, and I think this particular Lt got passed over because of it. Had his squadron taken care of him and given him at least another draft OPR to use with some actual mission bullets, he probably would have made it. He's not a stellar Lt, but he isn't bottom 5% either. That's just the way things go in the Air Force now. You really can't afford not to complete initial skills training any more, for any reason. A few years ago, washing from UPT wasn't a huge blemish on your career.

I personally have no stake in this matter, other than I am the OG exec now and have 71 PRFs waiting for me this week.... :banghead:

Edited by Gravedigger

That's just the way things go in the Air Force now. You really can't afford not to complete initial skills training any more, for any reason. A few years ago, washing from UPT wasn't a huge blemish on your career.

And if you step into the way back machine you were given a "have a nice life" speech and an honorable discharge when you washed out of UPT.

Technique only.

Hell...You can end up there even if you don't do any of the above and have a squeaky clean record

Some of us who were told we would go to ASBC after UPT (which obviously didn't happen since the program is no-more) are being told that it looks bad on us since a lot of our peers have the ASBC box checked

Hahahahahaha! YGBFSM.

I had a chick in my ASBC flight fail every test we had because she said she had "test anxiety". I told her I was anxious about vomiting on my desk during that test after a case race in the dorms the night before. She then arranged for me to get talked to by my Flt/CC about sensitivity toward "fellow wingmen".

Some of us who were told we would go to ASBC after UPT (which obviously didn't happen since the program is no-more) are being told that it looks bad on us since a lot of our peers have the ASBC box checked

Somehow I got promoted without attending ASBC.

I had a chick in my ASBC flight fail every test we had because she said she had "test anxiety". I told her I was anxious about vomiting on my desk during that test after a case race in the dorms the night before. She then arranged for me to get talked to by my Flt/CC about sensitivity toward "fellow wingmen".

Please tell me you called her a ###### & told her to STFU...