Interphone Patch Cord

Guest cam130nav

Reviving yet again:

Anyone ever used an adapter to hook up their ipod in the T-6? I've heard it's been done plenty of times, I want to make one but not sure if the specs would differ from what was described at the start of this thread. :rock:

edit: spelling

I only know of one guy who used them in the T-6, but he did use the same one he had in the Herc. I couldn't say if it was produced the same way as discussed on page one here. Since there is not hot mic position on the T-6, you'll have to stop the music every time you transmit, or you will transmit your Justin Beiber sparklemix every time you key the mic.

Sooooo...anyway. Maybe it would be a better idea to try and bribe maintenance or guys in the helmet shop to create something? It seems like there has to be a way to get the ipod to play through the helmet speakers and not pipe into the ics, so you don't accidentally introduce everyone on frequency to a Bieber fest. Like a Y adapter that goes between the plug coming from the helmet and the aircraft plug. I dunno I was a business major.

I guess ear buds are always an option

his only transmit capability was the tone button (do radios even have those anymore?

We do in the T-6...gets used frequently for all the wrong reasons

Sooooo...anyway. Maybe it would be a better idea to try and bribe maintenance or guys in the helmet shop to create something? It seems like there has to be a way to get the ipod to play through the helmet speakers and not pipe into the ics, so you don't accidentally introduce everyone on frequency to a Bieber fest. Like a Y adapter that goes between the plug coming from the helmet and the aircraft plug. I dunno I was a business major.

Yes, it is possible. You just need to talk to someone in your avionics shop and they can: A) give you the necessary plugs (bring beer; it helps, as Rainman said) and then B) tell you what the pin-outs are on said plug (mic, L/R earpiece, ground).

After that, it is a relatively easy soldering job to connect the wires from your mp3 cord to the headset and ground pins.

I will have a look at my adapter over the holidays and perhaps try to put together a schematic for everyone's enjoyment. Or maybe make 6-9 of them to sell on eBay so my EE degree will finally pay off.

Edited by Bergman

• 7 months later...

Thread revival here...

I think most of the fighter world has now transitioned over to the ACCES ear inserts. Does anybody want a patch cord that would connect between the ACCES ear plugs and your helmet plug that would allow only you to hear iPod input (vice potentially broadcasting to the world like most patch cords / intercom boxes)?

Secondly, is there a demand for an adapter that would connect your ACCES earplugs to a standart 3.5mm stereo jack?

I'm working on some prototypes in my garage. PM me if these are things you'd be interested in. I may be willing to sell the first few at or below cost just to get the word out...

Secondly, is there a demand for an adapter that would connect your ACCES earplugs to a standart 3.5mm stereo jack?

All great thoughts, but I wanted to point something out. When my unit transitioned to ACCES we had a very smart LSO working at the group. He rightly predicted that the user would have to get accostomed to these new earpieces. Second, since Westone already had our molds, it was very little additional cost to order everybody stereo earphones specifically to ease the acclimation process. And yes, they legitimately helped.

If your unit is about to transition to ACCES, I would drop this idea off with your LSO. The earphones are pretty awesome--could be better with lower freq's, so if you're a full-up audiophile you prob won't be impressed, but I like them.

If your unit has already tx'd, you're not out of luck. Westone keeps all molds for 5 years; call them up--it's prob way cheaper to get a set of headphones with a ready mold. I haven't looked into it yet, but even if mine don't wear out/break/get lost I'm planning on ordering another set in 3-4 years. They are hands-down the best fitting earphones I've ever had.

Sorry for the hijack--Back to the discussion.

Dupe, I'd love to get some kind of patch cord for acces. Any idea on price/timeline? Either way, sign me up. I'll make sure to show it around/let bros borrow it at work to get the word out.

If your unit has already tx'd, you're not out of luck. Westone keeps all molds for 5 years; call them up--it's prob way cheaper to get a set of headphones with a ready mold

According to my last flt doc, it costs approx $400 for them to make the acces 3.5 mm version. So completely not worth it IMO and a simple 3.5 mm converter for the "normal" acces cable would definitely be the way to go (as in what Dupe is talking about).

Hmmm, must have gone down in price. Either way, personally I'm unwilling to pay even $150 for headphones used outside the jet. But, if I can get a simple converter for way less, then hell yes I'd love to use my acces for working out, etc.

Dupe, I'd love to get some kind of patch cord for acces. Any idea on price/timeline? Either way, sign me up. I'll make sure to show it around/let bros borrow it at work to get the word out.

Give me a couple of months. My guess is $25 - $30 to start, but that will go down once I can bulk order parts. The biggest cost is that damn ACCES connector. That thing is $8 when I buy them in small batches.

I personally now get way more airline time than I want, but I'm too cheap to buy any high-prices noise cancelling stereo headsets. This is my cheap way out of that corner. I'll post back here once I have an ACCES - stero cable built with more than 40 hours of airline / treadmill time on it.

Don't meant to hijack, but how do you guys like the ACCES set? I'm using Bose X and find that the noise reduction is pretty impressive but I hate how they are both bulky and uncomfortable. I'm willing to drop coin on the in-ear headset as long as they perform well and have some type of microphone integration.

Edited by Standby

Sounds good Dupe, let me know when you're ready to ship one out and I'll get you money/my address.

Standby - I only have experience with the ones that connect to a mask, but I would guess the "ear part" is the same. I like them a lot and think the clarity and volume is much better than using foamies, but I don't know how it compares to a nice Bose headset, etc. Mine are pretty comfortable, but some guys hate theirs based on comfort...however, it seems to be a bad poor is to blame. I know many guys who had molds re-poored and haven't had any problems with the 2nd set.

If your unit has already tx'd, you're not out of luck. Westone keeps all molds for 5 years; call them up--it's prob way cheaper to get a set of headphones with a ready mold. I haven't looked into it yet, but even if mine don't wear out/break/get lost I'm planning on ordering another set in 3-4 years. They are hands-down the best fitting earphones I've ever had.

I just called Westone and was told they only keep impressions for two years, not five. They no longer have mine from 2008 :(

Edit to add: Dupe - I'm interested in one of your custom adapters, let me know if you plan to make a batch of 'em.

Edited by TacAirCoug

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the first demo version of my ACCES - 3.5mm patch cord complete. I'll PM those interested when I'm ready to release to Ops. I've got to do a month or so of suitability testing first. The idea is that you can use my widget to wear in a new set of plugs or use your ACCES as the world's best passive headset when getting your Delta miles/rotator/C-17 time in. One note: aviation headsets are monophone in design (vice stereo), so your Boom Boom Pow isn't nearly as cool as with the iPhone earbuds.

HPC01.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the ACCES to 3.5mm patch cord built. I think the easiest way to work the money and tracking orders is through EBay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260847441884&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

$20 plus shipping.

I'm working still working on a mask/helmet version...stand by for that. Also to come is a traditional patch cord like we all have buried in the bottom of our helmet bags and a version for civil airplanes. I do a fair bit if flying tinker-toy airplanes on the side, and I'm convinced they hurt my ears more than a pair of PW-229 does.

Here's my version of the standard patch cord:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260848927288&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

$50 including shipping. Expensive...I know. However, most of the cost is in the parts that I have to buy. If you're able to send me the parts, I'm happy to negotiate.

Eventually, this will grow into a version in a metal case with an on-off switch, volume control, and a seperate jack for recording audio.

• 5 months later...
Perfect, I'll be flying another pond hop in a few weeks. Does the music mute/vol decrease during TX/RX or is it just on you to flip the on/off switch or pause the music when necessary?

Music doesn't mute or decrease with a radio call. Right now, my TTP is to shut it off when I need to talk - that's why the switch is pretty big for a simple audio widget. It'll take some work for me to figure out the auto-mute feature.

• 4 weeks later...

Tried it out two days ago in the jet...works awesome! The sound quality is pretty damn good and the on/off toggle switch is far easier to use then the ipod's touch screen when you just want a quick mute to talk on the radio. Completely worth the $50...especially for those long, boring sorties.

Where do you buy the headset plugs? I'm working on wiring up my own design for the C-17 (trying to put my old college lab kit to work), but the prices I've found for the headset plugs seem a bit high.

• 4 months later...

11-2KC-135V3

5.9.1. Do not connect unauthorized equipment (laptop computers, video equipment, food preparation equipment, radios/tape players, CD players, etc.) to the aircraft intercom, PA, radio systems, or elec-trical system. Approved vacuum cleaners are authorized for ground use.

11-2KC-135V3

5.9.1. Do not connect unauthorized equipment (laptop computers, video equipment, food preparation equipment, radios/tape players, CD players, etc.) to the aircraft intercom, PA, radio systems, or elec-trical system. Approved vacuum cleaners are authorized for ground use.

tumblr_lrvpw9nYUq1qkwivv.png

11-2KC-135V3

Can't tell if serious....

But if you are, and I kind of hope so, then I think I'm going to love this thread.