2009 Fort Hood Shooting

zmoney

Guest Bad Intel

Texas Senator Hutchinson is on CNN, apparently the General told her there are up to 30 wounded. The captions on CNN just updated to say up to 9 dead and 20 wounded. This is generating a lot of interest around here, deployed with some Army folks. CNN's website is keeping up to date with the new info...

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/05/texas.fort.hood.shootings/index.html

Edit: 12 dead, one of them a gunman.

Edited by Bad Intel

Got a lot of buddies that have past through there over the last few years.

Thoughts and prayers are with the families and those injured.

Guest dropkick_9

Thoughts and prayers with those families. May those responsible be punished swiftly.

I am a long time lurker but Army officer who spent the last several years stationed at Fort Hood and I am intimately familiar with that area as the shooting area was directly across from my Company CP. Fort Hood is one of the most well prepared for one of these situations and has excellent trauma medical facilities.

While that one shooter's identification is released, I'm waiting for the complete details.

I saw that story at the gym this afternoon. How awful. I work on an Army post in Maryland and there were increased security all over. Not just the contract police but Soldiers carrying their AR-15's too. Glad it was an isolated incident.

A Maj that I work with said he hoped it was one of our own who opened fire and not a terrorist. I was hoping it was a terrorist and not one of our own. How are you supposed to feel when someone who spent the time to get up to Maj opens fire and kills 10 of his own buddies? If it was terrorists I'd have an easier time understanding why he did what he did.

I saw that story at the gym this afternoon. How awful. I work on an Army post in Maryland and there were increased security all over. Not just the contract police but Soldiers carrying their AR-15's too. Glad it was an isolated incident.

A Maj that I work with said he hoped it was one of our own who opened fire and not a terrorist. I was hoping it was a terrorist and not one of our own. How are you supposed to feel when someone who spent the time to get up to Maj opens fire and kills 10 of his own buddies? If it was terrorists I'd have an easier time understanding why he did what he did.

I'll be the redneck A-Hole who throws this out there: Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan. I'm gonna go with "All of the above".

I'll be the redneck A-Hole who throws this out there: Maj. Malik Nadal Hasan. I'm gonna go with "All of the above".

I agree. Call me what you want, but when I saw the shooter's name, I was not surprised at all. Thoughts and prayers to all our Army brothers and sisters involved in this tragedy.

What a shame. My thoughts and prayers go out to the survivors and all the families. I'm going to resist the urge to comment on the obvious. I will say this: For a religion that purports to be peaceful, I'm getting a far, far different vibe.

I've been exposed to exactly one Muslim this year. (That I was aware of.) He was a thoughtful, well-spoken young man, we had an interesting conversation on Afghanistan, his insights into the US mishandling the Pashtoon portion of the equation were well-reasoned. He drove me from the downtown Marriott to KDEN after a board meeting this March.

His name was Najibullah Zazi.

We all know how that turned out.

The count is up to 11 dead and 31 injured.

The shooter was "a mental health doctor facing deployment overseas."

They are not sure if that was his birth name or he that he changed it, possibly as part of a conversion to Islam. Latest reporting stated officials were not certain of his religion.

Let's not go speculating until more facts are known. Don't turn this into a hate thread, and don't make linkages that don't exist. I had a good friend, a US Navy officer, who was Muslim. He was a good dude and we'd go shooting all the time...

Guest wannabeflyer

Again I don't want to jump to conclusions here, but I wasn't surprised at the "foreign" sounding name. Not the first time:

In March 2003, Capt. Christopher Seifert and Maj. Gregory Stone of the Army's 101st Airborne Division were killed in a grenade attack at Camp Pennsylvania, Kuwait, that wounded 14 other officers. Sgt. Hasan Akbar was convicted by a court-martial in 2005 and sentenced to death..

damn shame, thoughts and prayers to the families

In March 2003, Capt. Christopher Seifert and Maj. Gregory Stone of the Army's 101st Airborne Division were killed in a grenade attack at Camp Pennsylvania, Kuwait, that wounded 14 other officers. Sgt. Hasan Akbar was convicted by a court-martial in 2005 and sentenced to death..

Major Stone was an instructor when I went through the schoolhouse. He was an outstanding instructor and a person I remember who made a difference for everyone he worked with.

The news is currently stating that Maj. Hasan made threatening remarks on a number of occasions. Nothing was done. This may finally be the event that pulls the plug on runaway political correctness in the military.

Guest Alarm Red

I agree. Call me what you want, but when I saw the shooter's name, I was not surprised at all. Thoughts and prayers to all our Army brothers and sisters involved in this tragedy.

Again I don't want to jump to conclusions here, but I wasn't surprised at the "foreign" sounding name.

I am embarrassed for all of you.

Aw fuck.

I got a buddy down there who works either in the Company CP or near it (I forget). Hope he is okay, not answering his cell but thats standard for him.

Edit: AWESOME! He is okay. If anyone else has any friends or relatives down there it seems like everyone is on lock down and probably can't answer the phone.

Edited by stoleit2x

Shooter Bio - Link

Nidal Malik Hasan, Maj, MD

No wife, no kids

Psychiatrist

Virginia Tech, BS Biochem, 1997, ROTC

USUHS, MD (Psychiatry), 2001

Fellowship, Internship, and First Assignment - Walter Reed

PCS'd to Fort Hood in July 2009

Was outprocessing for deployment when shooting occured

ra39843188.jpg?x=303&y=345&q=85&sig=OkLn61W5avM2CfzUv0BBsw--

More: Link

Nader Hasan, cousin to Nidal Malik Hasan, one of the gunmen in the Fort Hood massacre, spoke to Fox News' Shepard Smith on the phone tonight and went out of his way to stress his family is shocked by Hasan's actions and that Hasan was a "good American":

Both his parents are American, I want to make sure everyone understands, he was a good American, and we are shocked. We just found out from the news that he was being deployed [to Iraq]. He never even told us. We've known for the last five years that that was probably his worst nightmare. He deals with stories, he would tell us how he hears horrific things, but even before, things from before that was probably affecting him psychologically.

Hasan's cousin related that he had "been making requests since sometime after September 11th" not to be deployed to Iraq, and that Hasan had been trying to leave the military:

He was dealing with harassment from some of his colleagues to the extent where he hired a military attorney to have the issue resolved, pay back the government to get out of the military if that was it, but he was at the end of trying everything to make everybody fair and reasonable and him get out the situation, so I'm really shocked and baffled and if anybody wants to try to suggest that it has something else to do with being afraid of wanting to go to war, that's it.

Hasan's cousin said that he joined the military "right out of high school" and "against his parents' wishes."

Contrary to prior reports, Hasan has "always been Muslim" and is not a recent convert.

Hasan's cousin said "our family is feeling sadness, we feel so much sadness for any family who was hurt."

Edited by HU&W

Yahoo News-

The officer who shot the gunman, Kimberly Munley, also was wounded.

"She happened to encounter the gunman. In an exchange of gunfire, she was wounded but managed to wound him four times," Cone said. "It was an amazing and aggressive performance by this police officer."

:salut: to her

Guest Rubber_Side_Down

There seems to be some confusion about Maj Hasan's descent. The major news networks were reporting that he was Jordanian, but stories this morning suggest that he was Palestinian.

Jordanian?

Palestinian?

Guest PerArduaAdAstra

I spent all of 2 minutes on CNN last night watching updates on this before I turned it off in disgust. That lightweight idiot Larry King had a panel of 3 people on his show (including Dr. Phil for Gods sake!). They were rambling on about how this poor man was obviously a victim of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and it was that that had caused him to snap and go on a killing rampage - this despite the fact he hadn't even been deployed overseas once in his Army career, and the closest he had been to a combat area was being in North-West DC while at Walter Reed.

The third guy on the panel said that if it was OK to assume this was a case of a guy gone crazy through stress, then it was equally OK to assume he may have had some islamic agenda and just wanted to kill US soldiers. King, dopey Dr. Phil and the woman then started screaming that this other panellist was some kind of crazed right-wing bigot. That was the point I went looking for some other news source.