CLASSIC: aiframe suggestions?

Guest afrotc

Just was wondering what some really cool airframes are out there and interesting jobs such as the B-1 "BONE" or the B-52, anybody out there with experience in airframes that they loved that can share some info on certain ones?

I was just trying to see if there any guys out there who could share their personal experiences with certain airframes and which ones have interesting missions thats all

Unlike many others to come, I'm going to resist the urge to flame you really hard because I'm new to creating posts too. But learn from my experience, I ran searches on this forum for months before I posted. If you do the same, I'm sure you'll find little tidbits here and there about people's experiences in their airframe. Who knows, maybe a whole thread. I see you joined this past weekend and have posted 5-times since then... not a good start. One other piece of advice, afrotc from Tallahasee, FL, don't take all the laughing and finger pointing personally. All pilots point and laugh until behavior changes, and some might even admit to it happening to them.

To answer your question... helos are the best. Don't let anybody else tell you otherwise. :aviator:

Nole, can you straighten your boy out here? He's making it too easy to make fun of FSU, even for a Gator!

The first thing you can do is teach him to spell 'airframe!' (not 'aiframe')

Lastly, have him read the following and learn...it remains the best advice anyone has ever given on selecting an airframe!

Cheers! M2

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This story apparently originated from a young kid who sent an e-mail to AETC (Air Education and Training Command) wanting to know how to prepare himself for a future career as a fighter jock. Can you imagine?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To LtCol Van Wickler:

Sir,

I am DJ Baker and I would appreciate it if you could tell me what it takes to be an F16 fighter pilot of the USAF. What classes should I take in high school to help the career I want to take later in my life?

What could I do to get in the academy?

Sincerely

DJ Baker

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anybody want to help this poor kid from Cyberspace?

"Vee Dub"

A worldly and jaded C130 Pilot, Maj Hunter Mills rose to the task!!

Dear DJ,

Obviously, through no fault of your own, your young, impressionable brain has been poisoned by the superfluous, hyped-up, "Top Gun" media portrayal of fighter pilots.

Unfortunately, this portrayal could not be further from the truth. In my experience, I've found most fighter pilots pompous, back-stabbing, momma's boys with inferiority complexes, as well as being extremely over-rated aeronautically. However, rather than dash your budding dreams of becoming an USAF pilot, I offer the following alternative:

What you REALLY want to aspire to is the exiting, challenging, and rewarding world of TACTICAL AIRLIFT. And this, young DJ, means one thing....the venerable, workhorse, THE C-130!

I can guarantee no fighter pilot can brag that he has led a 12-ship formation down a valley at 300 ft above the ground, while trying to interpret a 9-line to a new DZ, avoiding pop-up threats, and coordinating with AWACS, all while eating a box lunch, with the engineer in the back taking a piss and the navigator puking in his trash can! I tell you, DJ, TAC Airlift is where it's at!

Where else is it legal to throw tanks, HMMWVs, and other crap out the back of an airplane, and not even worry about it when the chute doesn't open and it torpedoes the General's staff car! No where else can you land on a 3000' dirt strip, kick a bunch of ammo and stuff off the ramp without even stopping, then take off again before range control can call to tell you you've landed on the wrong LZ!

And talk about exotic travel-when C-130s go somewhere, they GO somewhere (usually for 3 months, unfortunately). This gives you the opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture enough to give any natives a bad taste in their mouths re the USAF and Americans in general, not something those strat-lift pilots can do from their airport hotel rooms!

As far as recommendations for your course of study, I offer these: Take a lot of math courses. You will need all the advanced math skills you can muster to enable you to calculate per diem rates around the world, when trying to split up the crew's bar tab so that the co-pilot really believes he owes 85% of the whole thing and the nav believing he owes the other 20.

Health sciences are important, too. You will need a thorough knowledge of biology to make those educated guesses of how much longer you can drink beer before the tremendous case of the shits catches up to you from that meal you ate at that place that had the belly dancers in some God-forsaken foreign country whose name you can't even pronounce!

Social studies are also beneficial. It is important for a good TAC Airlifter to have the cultural knowledge to be able to ascertain the exact location of the nearest titty bar in any country in the world, then be able to convince the local authorities to release the loadmaster after he offends every sensibility of the local religion and culture.

A foreign language is helpful, but not required. You will never be able to pronounce the names of the NAVAIDs in France, and it's much easier to ignore them and go where you want to anyway.

As a rule of thumb:

Waiters and bellhops in France are always called "Pierre", in Spain it's "Hey, Perdro" and in Italy, of course, it's "Mario." These terms of address also serve in other countries interchangeably, depending upon the level of swarth of the addresee.

A study of geography is also paramount. You will need to know the basic location of all the places you've been when you get back from your TDY and are ready to stick those little pins in that huge world map you've got taped to you living room wall, right next to that gigantic wooden giraffe statue and beer stein collection.

Well, DJ, I hope this little note inspires you. And by the way, forget about that Academy thing. All TAC Airlifters know that there are waaay too few women and too little alcohol there to provide a well-balanced education. A nice, big state college would be a much better choice.

Good luck and see you on the SKE scope!

Maj. Hunter Mills

Guest taxcollector
Really? For ######'s sake dude...if you're that lazy, then save yourself the trouble and have fun in services.

Hey man lay easy on the services dudes, not all of us are retards that barely passed the ASVAB. Sometimes we just drew the short straw, i.e. Think of going to enjppt and getting UAV's....

Last time I checked, when I was handing out beer in the deid, you didn't have anything negative to say about services.

But I understand the point you were trying to make, don't make the mistake that I am gung ho about SVS. I'm not in the least - How pathetic is it for a SVS guy to get counseled for calling the DFAC a chow hall... point in case me :rainbow:

Cheers

Tax

Edited by taxcollector

Kraig,

I told you on the other thread man, right now you should probably be focusing on doing well in ROTC and college. Learn what you can there. Being a WSO is a looong way off (if it happens). Your priority should be serving in whatever capacity to the best of your capability. If you want to learn from these forums, READ everything first. It will be educational. Your posts are not helping you much... as you can see.

Interesting, in a different forums, I was looking for technical help with something just now.

I went to make a thread, and they had a system in place that immediately after typing the thread title brought up similar threads for me to look through first.

Cool concept I thought.

Did you really join AFROTC with no knowledge of any aircraft in the Air Force inventory?

Dude 98% of people have no knowledge of AF aircraft when they join ROTC. Even worse is 85% have no knowledge of AF aircraft when they graduate ROTC (for evidence see ASBC).

In other news - 67% of statistics are made up on the spot.

Typical FSU stud...

Nole, can you straighten your boy out here? He's making it too easy to make fun of FSU, even for a Gator!

Jesus Christ! I have Gators and Canes all over my case today!

Work kept me busy today, I only had enough free time to run my virtual mouth in the C-17 mishap thread.

'AFROTC', as a Det 145 alum I have to uphold the Seminole traditions hear and put the beat down on the canes and gators whenever possible. You are not making it easy for me.

The shit storm you have walked into was caused by you failure to use the search function or even look around the forums for a few minutes to find the answers you seek. The question you asked has been discussed at length in a number of threads... I could post the links here for you but I am drunk, tired, and pissed off... not from poker this time but work related stress that being in a Joint Staff billet usually brings.

However, we are glad to choose Baseops.net to answer your questions.

Now, walk, don't drive, over to the Tully gym and hit yourself in head with a 35lb dumb bell repeatedly, go back to your room and post some hot FSU chicks in the De Motivational Poster Contest! thread and all will be forgiven!

Health sciences are important, too. You will need a thorough knowledge of biology to make those educated guesses of how much longer you can drink beer before the tremendous case of the shits catches up to you from that meal you ate at that place that had the belly dancers in some God-forsaken foreign country whose name you can't even pronounce!

That actually happened to me!

Edited by Nole_96

Interesting, in a different forums, I was looking for technical help with something just now.

I went to make a thread, and they had a system in place that immediately after typing the thread title brought up similar threads for me to look through first.

Cool concept I thought.

Yea, but then think of all the fun we would miss out on.

Where is Toro in all this?