Leadership at the 'Deid

Toro

Guys

This is off-topic, but related to this thread so I am posting it here...please bear with me.

A few days ago someone posted the name of a GO at the 'Died, then sent me an email has he was later concerned that it may have OPSEC issues. He deleted his post, but since he was quoted a few times, he was worried about those replies that quoted it. So, he sent me a message; and I have since gone in and changed the name to 'a named BG.'

First of all, I want to thank that individual for letting us know about his concerns. I am not 100% sure that it was even an OPSEC issue, but to be on the safe side we removed it from all posts. There is nothing wrong with asking the mods to go back and remove/edit posts if you later realize that there might be some info of concern in them. That is what we are here for. Also, it makes our jobs easier knowing we can trust everyone to help us out in keeping this site OPSEC-violation free! Most times we mods do get several people reporting a post that might have OPSEC issues with it, but not always; and that is where the rest of you help us out considerably.

As you may know, I think a big fan of BaseOps the forum. I also had the pleasure of knocking back a few beers and eating TexMex with the BaseOps, man himself, a few months ago. He has worked hard to turn this forum into one that literally benefits thousands, and has entrusted a small group of moderators to keep it on track. But that responsibility extends to everyone that uses this forum, and whereas most of the time deleting posts ends up in a bitch session about overzealous moderators; this one was an example of how the system should work.

So, again my thanks to the individual who contacted me about his post. Secondly, I want everyone to know that despite the comments of a few, the moderators are here to help. You may not agree with some of our actions; but if you have a conflict with one mod feel free to contact any of the other mods, and we will sort it out. Lastly, I am grateful to see this kind of self-policing going on. It isn't easy admitting you may have made a mistake, but it is a sign of maturity when you worry more about the consequences than your own image. That speaks highly of the person who essentially reported himself. As such, the problem was fixed, which is always more important than the crap you get about making a mistake. I can tell you I make them all the time, and what is most important is not that you made a mistake, but how you handle it. In that regard, this person did an outstanding job!

OK, back to thread. For everyone else, keep in mind that things that occur at deployed locations, and those who do them, are a bit more sensitive than stuff going on back at home station (most of the time, unless you are inadvertantly flying nukes on a cross-country!). Post all the great stories and advice from these forward locations, but please be a little more sensitive to the details as it can result in problems none of us need!

Cheers! M2

Guys

This is off-topic, but related to this thread so I am posting it here...please bear with me.

Thanks, M2! Now, we're Triple-Protected by you Moderators! WooHoo!

(A simple, well-intentioned jab at the triple post above)

Now, pass me that :jd: , and quit hittin' the SUBMIT button so fast! *chuckle*

Excellent post above - Here, Here to the self-policing bit... that's the best way to make it happen.

Cheers! :beer:

Linda

Thanks, M2! Now, we're Triple-Protected by you Moderators! WooHoo!

(A simple, well-intentioned jab at the triple post above)

Now, pass me that :jd: , and quit hittin' the SUBMIT button so fast! *chuckle*

Excellent post above - Here, Here to the self-policing bit... that's the best way to make it happen.

Cheers! :beer:

Linda

Linda

I don't know what you're talking about!

(That's the one great thing about being a mod, being able to re-bury your mistakes once they are discovered! :thumbsup:)

Besides, anything that brings you out from the shadows is a good thing! I hope all is well with you, my friend! I need to get out your way and buy you a few :beer: :beer: :beer:

Or, you can always visit San Antonio and we can throw some TexMex into the mix!

Cheers! M2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bison Flyer

I hear all of these ridiculous rumors but very little of them seem to be true. I've been here for three months now and when all is said and done, there is a hell of a lot more said than done.

post-6278-1223544675_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bison Flyer

Guest mjk5401

Leadership decided to reduce speed limits on base. No more 40km - it's now down to 25km. Rumor has it, a Col was running and almost got hit by a bus. At first they made just the busses slow to 25km (15mph) which skrewed the whole bus schedule up. It's still not fixed. There is no bus reliability. Now they are making all vehicles slow to 25km.

GOOD TIMES AT DA DEID

Leadership decided to reduce speed limits on base. No more 40km - it's now down to 25km. Rumor has it, a Col was running and almost got hit by a bus. At first they made just the busses slow to 25km (15mph) which skrewed the whole bus schedule up. It's still not fixed. There is no bus reliability. Now they are making all vehicles slow to 25km.

GOOD TIMES AT DA DEID

No, this is no good. They didn't over react enough. I suggest no buses and no personal vehicles. That way, there is zero chance of getting run over, unless they're still using shitter trucks. And no more jogging either...thats dangerous too. Wait, get rid of all the fried food and soda. That stuff will kill you.

Sarcastically out!

No, this is no good. They didn't over react enough. I suggest no buses and no personal vehicles. That way, there is zero chance of getting run over, unless they're still using shitter trucks. And no more jogging either...thats dangerous too. Wait, get rid of all the fried food and soda. That stuff will kill you.

Sarcastically out!

The real question is: are they still enforcing the no more than two cookies rule? They really didn't care how many people you were bringing food to, there were no more than two cookies allowed!!

Guest DesertRat

GOOD TIMES AT DA DEID

It wasn't a Col it was the Wing/CC...

It wasn't a Col it was the Wing/CC...

wrong again.

if you are going to call someone out for being wrong then please fill us in on the correct version of the story.....I haven't heard any rumors of this here, just the updated speed limits in the Dispatch

Edited by loadsmith

Guest DesertRat
wrong again.

When was I wrong the first time?

Regardless, there have been a few things that have happened recently that are a little depressing. I can live with the speed limit dropping, just means longer time on the bus and at the bus stops.....if people would just stop trying to get in shape and quit running on the road this wouldn't be a problem, stay out of shape like the rest of us.

First and foremost, the reflective belt policy is coming....I know right now everyone thinks it is just rumor and that the boss hasn't signed anything...which is true, but the reg is currently in coord. will be out shortly.

Second, I don't know if everyone knows this but the leaders of this wing are doing nightly patrols of the CC to makes sure no funny business is going on. This is directly from the memo:

CC & BPC Leadership Visits

1. Team Composition:

- Group/CC & Group Chief

- Squadron/CC & 1st Sgt

- Teams may also include additional CGOs, SNCOs, NCOs, and Airmen

- Opportunity for “Mentorship”

- A view from the “Eyes of leadership”

5. Areas of interest:

- Dormitories

i. Randomly walk dormitory common areas

ii. Randomly inspect rooms (those assigned to your unit)

- Bunkers

- Cadillacs

- Smoking Pits/Sunshades

- Common use areas (Media Center, LRCs, CACs, DEL, Pool, Fitness Centers, etc.)

- General cleanliness

- Safety concerns/areas of interest

- Uniform standard compliance

- Professional behavior

6. Leadership “Eyes On-target” of our Expeditionary Warriors and Living Quarters

Lastly, another thing that happened just recently that everyone probably isn't aware of is that here at the wing we recently put on a AF Ball at Al Udeid. I completely understand the issue of morale, it is very important, not to mention that it was actually a decent time. My issue is not with the actual party itself, it is with the fact that two Security Forces guys organized it instead of it being a Services thing. Are we really deploying SF guys away from their families to throw parties? And finally to top that off, both SF guys received MEDALS during a staff meeting for putting on this party. Is this what our focus is out here? Enjoy.

Edited by DesertRat

Guest filthy_liar

Recently I've been able to observe first hand how some of these ridiculous ideas are hatched. I'm the only rated officer on the staff of a certain AEG under the 379th (not at Al Udeid). Quite a unique experience, at first I thought it was going to be a hassle, but so far it has been interesting. I can't speak about what happens at the 379th, but here is an example of the sequence of common sense getting derailed:

The safety officer starts briefing the staff on some new fall safety campaign. Apparently he put a lot of effort into coming up with a point system so that squadrons and flights receive credit if they are observed doing something "safe" such as using a spotter. I asked if anyone seriously thought this was a topic that needed discussing and everyone looked at me like I was bin Laden himself. When nobody answered, someone else suggested that we could also award points if people were taking safety measures in their rooms. Everyone agreed that was an outstanding idea, so there would need to be room inspections in order to determine who was a safety champion and therefore merited the awarding of points.

At this point I asked everyone to take a break, step back and then ask themselves how the troops were going to feel about their rooms being invaded in the name of safety. One of the staffers, you can probably guess his title, took offense to the question and said that my job was to support the safety campaign, not sit there and try to squash all of the good ideas being presented. I took a pause before answering and tried to diplomatically explain to him and the rest of the staff that nobody outside the room would agree that these are good ideas and nobody outside the room would agree that this will enhance safety or more importantly the mission. I also told them that ideas like this are horrible for morale and reflect poorly upon leadership. He left the meeting fairly pissed off, but I think some of the other staffers actually considered what I had to say. So far the room inspections are being notched so I consider that a small victory.

The fallout of this small victory is that I'm pretty sure the rest of the staff looks at me like I'm some renegade who tries to shoot down all the good ideas. The depressing part is that back at home base even if I were in a position to voice my opinions they would be shot down instantly while the WG/CC jotted down a memo to find some way to get me the hell out of his wing as quickly as possible. Reading this thread reminds me that maybe there are still some folks in the USAF that think the way I do. We are in the minority, and we are losing the LEADERSHIP battle in a big way.

Reading this thread reminds me that maybe there are still some folks in the USAF that think the way I do. We are in the minority, and we are losing the LEADERSHIP battle in a big way.

Well I think I speak for everybody here when I say good work. Too bad there aren't more like you there.

The last few posts on this page seem to be the tip of the iceberg at the Deid right now. There hasn't been an acronym invented yet to described how messed up the priorities are at this place.

Apparently one of these recent night time dorm raids found the OG/CC reading some writing on somebody's white board that she did not like. Didn't like it enough to pull the entire dorm in uniform and read them their rights and threaten Article 15s. (Have heard varying accounts, but this seems to be the truth.)

The focus of this place (at least on the outward appearance) is no longer the mission. It is tucked in shirts, PT belts, proper shoes, and using spotters. Anyone wearing unauthorized patches is AQ's number 1, and a safety belt will cure all that ails you.

Its like their goal is to bring morale down so far, that everyone will just give up, and sit in their rooms all day long hating life. Then, they can run this place with ease. A couple posts up talks about questioning people as to "what will the troops think?" It is my belief that nobody in a position of authority any higher than crew level, ever stops to ask this question. In the recent weeks, it has gone from something thats a little annoying, or "kinda stupid" to completely ridiculous.

It makes me so mad, I can't even put any more words to it. :bash:

Soapbox over.

Guest fourtenwedge
Recently I've been able to observe first hand how some of these ridiculous ideas are hatched. I'm the only rated officer on the staff of a certain AEG under the 379th (not at Al Udeid). Quite a unique experience, at first I thought it was going to be a hassle, but so far it has been interesting. I can't speak about what happens at the 379th, but here is an example of the sequence of common sense getting derailed:

The safety officer starts briefing the staff on some new fall safety campaign. Apparently he put a lot of effort into coming up with a point system so that squadrons and flights receive credit if they are observed doing something "safe" such as using a spotter. I asked if anyone seriously thought this was a topic that needed discussing and everyone looked at me like I was bin Laden himself. When nobody answered, someone else suggested that we could also award points if people were taking safety measures in their rooms. Everyone agreed that was an outstanding idea, so there would need to be room inspections in order to determine who was a safety champion and therefore merited the awarding of points.

At this point I asked everyone to take a break, step back and then ask themselves how the troops were going to feel about their rooms being invaded in the name of safety. One of the staffers, you can probably guess his title, took offense to the question and said that my job was to support the safety campaign, not sit there and try to squash all of the good ideas being presented. I took a pause before answering and tried to diplomatically explain to him and the rest of the staff that nobody outside the room would agree that these are good ideas and nobody outside the room would agree that this will enhance safety or more importantly the mission. I also told them that ideas like this are horrible for morale and reflect poorly upon leadership. He left the meeting fairly pissed off, but I think some of the other staffers actually considered what I had to say. So far the room inspections are being notched so I consider that a small victory.

The fallout of this small victory is that I'm pretty sure the rest of the staff looks at me like I'm some renegade who tries to shoot down all the good ideas. The depressing part is that back at home base even if I were in a position to voice my opinions they would be shot down instantly while the WG/CC jotted down a memo to find some way to get me the hell out of his wing as quickly as possible. Reading this thread reminds me that maybe there are still some folks in the USAF that think the way I do. We are in the minority, and we are losing the LEADERSHIP battle in a big way.

I just want to say thanks :beer:

Winner!

Outstanding, sir, outstanding! :beer::thumbsup::beer:

More of this by officers and NCOs is what the leadership should get.

Telling the emperor he/she has no clothes is the only way to stop stupidity.

Guest Big Deal

Incoming crews from my squadron were just informed they would be attending Right Start instead of Jump Start.... after they fly! YGBFSM!

On another note, 2 flyers from my squadron were given this week off from flying because they were busy coordinating Wingman Week activities.

Guest mjk5401
Incoming crews from my squadron were just informed they would be attending Right Start instead of Jump Start.... after they fly! YGBFSM!

This has been the case for the last month now. Not that it makes things any better, but the worse part is, they don't take into account how often a person has been here prior. It doesn't matter if you were here 30 days ago or have been here 5, 7, 10+ times. ALL personel must go to RIGHT START.

OH and don't wear PT gear. Even though it's an official uniform of the AF and we are required to wear it rather then civilian clothes, you can't attend the brief in PT gear. It's unprofessional.

On a brighter note, I've been told they shortened the 3 hour brief to an 1.5 hour brief.

On another note, 2 flyers from my squadron were given this week off from flying because they were busy coordinating Wingman Week activities.

The Air Force is officially no longer at war. Welcome to Northern/Southern Watch Part II.

Sad, seeing every other service is still in the fight. Unsat.

FF

Guest Buckeye

I'm a past herk driver here on a staff deployment. I've seemed to have been lucky not to run into any of the uniform nazis yet.

It seems almost like home station here instead of being in an AOR with 6 days of Wingman Week activities last week followed up by an ATSO like exercise this week. (I'm just thankful we don't actually have any practice chem suits to don.) What's next, group PT?

The speed limit drop just annoys me. Don't O-6's have any SA when they're running? How do you not get out of the way of a bus doing a whopping 24 mph? Right now our speed limit is slower than school zones in the States.......That might be it. It's all part of them seeing us as children. Where can I buy one of those "Adult" patches?