Blues on Monday

okienav

Now, why can't those exact words end up in the COS' in-box, unfiltered, unedited, straight-up "Here's what's broken, Boss, now let's fix it"?

Because no one, with enough rank/credibility for those comments to have a no-shit impact on the CSAF, really wants to commit career suicide.

Where is the filter and therefore the severe disconnect?

One word, five letters, starts with an "S"...

It's the same problem in nearly every large organization - the Boss sees what his staff thinks he should see/wants to see. If that staff has an ulterior motive (don't rock the boat, get the good-deal next assignment, get good OPRs, get promoted, ___________), then things the Boss SHOULD see get filtered because "the Boss doesn't need to see/hear that."

In '95-96, when I was in the Corps, then-Commandant Gen Krulak saw the problem I addressed above, and decided to try something new. He started a program called "MarineMail", basically an email address that any Marine, from Private to General, could use to communicate directly to the Commandant of the Marine Corps. No one else had access to the email, unless the CMC chose to share it with the staff to address the issue. The only direction given was that if you were bitching about a problem, present at least one possible solution to it, to show you weren't just a whiner.

Boy, did all the old-Corps dinosaurs bitch! "Good God, the Commandant's done away with the chain of command!" "Private Schmuckatelly is gonna run the Corps into the ground!" Guess what - the system did NOT get abused (with one exception I can recall). In fact, several Marines who sent issues into MarineMail ended up getting surprise visits from the CMC - most were presented with awards, at least one (that I remember) was meritoriously promoted on-the-spot, and a couple saw their "possible solutions" implemented (with only minor changes) as USMC policy.

I don't think MarineMail exists anymore - several of Gen Krulak's changes/initiatives were reversed when he retired. My personal opinion is that in the US Air Force of 2008, a program like MarineMail won't work. Too many idiot Airmen out there who think that not having a hot-tub in the dorms is worthy of the CSAF's attention; too many SNAPs who think that because Maj Xxxy is tough on him, CSAF should give the SNAP a freebie and smash Maj Xxxy's bag.

Back to the actual topic - I'm going in tomorrow (and the rest of the week), and I'm wearing my bag. BUT... it's only because I'm a "MOBEX player". The stuff I'll have to wear later this week will likely make one day of blues seem like a vacation...

About the guidance at LRAFB: I assume that is for permanent, party, students, fliers and non-fliers alike?

From the LR STUD side of the house

- No words as of yet. I didn't bring that crap.

I don't think I'll be wearing blues at IP School, thank you. It'll be an instructional exercise in "how to take care of your utility uniform" if it comes to 36-2903. I'll gladly help my fellow brethren with that aspect... including discussion groups, lead at Creegans Pub, North Little Rock - Perhaps we could get JB Williams or Jason Fallis involved?

We'll see what the OG says in the AM... (What's up with this "welcome" BS at 0630!? Can't they just "Welcome" us with some coffee and dog-nuts at the school house at 0900 in-between classes or something!?)

Linda

From the LR STUD side of the house

- No words as of yet. I didn't bring that crap.

I don't think I'll be wearing blues at IP School, thank you. It'll be an instructional exercise in "how to take care of your utility uniform" if it comes to 36-2903. I'll gladly help my fellow brethren with that aspect... including discussion groups, lead at Creegans Pub, North Little Rock - Perhaps we could get JB Williams or Jason Fallis involved?

We'll see what the OG says in the AM... (What's up with this "welcome" BS at 0630!? Can't they just "Welcome" us with some coffee and dog-nuts at the school house at 0900 in-between classes or something!?)

Linda

Wait till you do the Friday fun run.

The actual act of buttoning up your blue shirt and zipping your blue pants is pretty easy. I really don't care if I wear a friggin clown costume on Thursdays. What I care about is Lumberg more being concerned with Hawaiin Shirt Day and not the hundreds of other OPERATIONAL concerns with the WAR that is going on NOW. I'd start a list of discrepancies like AC-130U wingboxes, predator manning shortfalls, et al but I'd be at my computer for hours and probably end up crashing the baseops.net server.

FYI - The Full Sail IPA is pretty good.

Also . . . how is AFSOC implementing this? Given the "subdued EVERTHING" culture at Hurby, I don't see blues being too popular at any level of leadership.

CH? Anything?

Leadership has been quiet on the issue, so the official guidance still stands. Unofficially, we shall see.

Loads of Army and Marines MF'ing the Air Force this morning at the STRATCOM organization where I work! Yep, everyone is being made to join in on the fun of wearing the same uniform on Mondays! So anyone at a similar Joint organization like STRATCOM can expect to be beat on severely because the CSAF wants to instill a 'warrior ethos' into the troops by wearing blues on Monday.

It's been said, but I will say it again. If this is the most urgent decision a new CSAF has to make, then the Air Force must be in pretty good shape...

Unfortunately, it is not.

Cheers to you, guys! It is great being a retiree!

M2

Damn, I've been wearing blues everyday for the last year and was so looking forward to burning them after graduation and not wearing them again.

Anyways, maybe I'm paranoid but this whole business is a little suspicious. Could be it be that all of the dry cleaning places around AF bases throughout the country have been bitching to their local congressman about the massive drop in business due to the switchover from BDUs to ABUs? Then said congressmen bitch to the AFCoS and voila!- Blues on Monday...

Fine, we have to wear blues, but at least can they change the damned blue shirt? At least give us a wash-and-wear version like the squids have. And make it grey or dark blue while they're at it... Didn't we use to have a long sleeve dark blue shirt?

As aside, to those in Korea, don't eat Korean ramyon noodles in your blues, the broth will not launder out of the blue shirt...

Its amazing to me that there are pilots here actually defending this decision. The warrior ethos would lead people to bitch about stupid stuff, but focus on the mission. I'd say we already have that wrapped up.

Finance/personnel/ etc are not warriors! Period. They serve their country and do an important job, but they arent warriors.

According to the dictionary: Noun

* S: (n) warrior (someone engaged in or experienced in warfare)

First off, I think it's stupid. I don't know what the intended goal is, but maybe there is one and I just don't get it.

I hate blues...I really hate blues. Always have, always will.

I put them on today.

It wasn't that bad.

If anything...it was nice to put them one without being in trouble. ;)

If you wann bitch about it, I say go ahead...this is the place to do it.

Bendy

EDIT: I'M SUCH A WARRIOR!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Its amazing to me that there are pilots here actually defending this decision.

Are they actually defending it, or are they simply saying "STFU--put the blues on, and do your damn job, and get on with your life..?"

BENDER= STOP getting into trouble... :-)

About the guidance at LRAFB: I assume that is for permanent, party, students, fliers and non-fliers alike?

Also . . . how is AFSOC implementing this? Given the "subdued EVERTHING" culture at Hurby, I don't see blues being too popular at any level of leadership.

CH? Anything?

Looks like everyone at Hurlburt is wearing blues mondays unless they are actually flying or can't perform there job in blues (getting dirty). :flipoff:

Guest wannabeflyer

The top leadership seems more interested in "looking" professional than on actually acting professionally and accomplishing the mission. It's unbelievable that this is the first thing the new CSAF does. You can say suck it up and do it, but what purpose does this serve? Will this help us accomplish our mission? Sure it's not that bad, but it reflects the quick fix band aid leadership that has left the Air Force in need of serious change. You don't need to have some big picture General vision to see that this fixes nothing, and only serves to further the b*llsh*t image first, mission second attitude that seems to have infected our Air Force. Wearing an uncomfortable uniform does not change your work ethic, your integrity, your skills, your experience. Wearing blues does not fix an aging fleet that is falling out of the sky, all it does is necessity a man purse for carrying the contents of your flight suit with you, oh and a superman drill if you get scheduled for a last minute flight on monday. amazing, I'm just waiting for the picture of CSAF in his flight suit with his sleeves rolled up and a morale patch smiling as he sips his monday morning coffee. :bash:

The top leadership seems more interested in "looking" professional than on actually acting professionally and accomplishing the mission. It's unbelievable that this is the first thing the new CSAF does. You can say suck it up and do it, but what purpose does this serve?

Murphy's Law of Combat #49:

"The combat worth of a unit is inversly proportional to the smartness of its outfit and appearance"

What are the guard units out there doing? Following this or not? Peanut gallery?

Not working on Monday. Four ten hour shifts for full-timers, equals, no Monday work. Part-time, you only show if you have to. No further guidance from here.

F'ing hilarious. The gayest of the gay. :rainbow::bohica:

All of the stupid bullshit that big blue has to offer and none of the perks! Gotta love ROTC.

Out of all the people that should be in blues...that would be Cadets.

He said at the time that his decision was closely related to his effort to instill a “war-fighting ethos” in Air Force culture, one of his main priorities as chief.

So he wanted to instill this "war fighting ethos" by having people wear a uniform we don't wear to war? Interesting.

Our wing CC just came out with a policy today that all ops crew members will wear flight suits on Mondays because you just never know when you might have to fly.

That is impressive...senior leadership with common sense. We should all be so lucky.