Gun Talk

VL-16

• 3 weeks later...

122 days as of yesterday.  Given it's the Labor Day weekend, it will be at 125 days as of next Monday...

At 93 days, I decided to email the ATF about my application.

To my surprise, I got a reply less than 12 hours later...

"Your background is in a delayed status with the FBI"

No further info. I don't know if there is an issue with me, or they are just behind on processing applications.

Anyone who knows my background will know it's not me.  I have been vetted by the FBI on multiple occasions without issues. I've had other Federal, state and municipal agencies also run background checks on me without a problem. If there was something of significance, I wouldn't have a job!

Someone asked if having an active security clearance be an issue.

I haven't experienced that in the past, and I don't see how an agency which has done background checks on me in the past would suddenly have a problem with my Form 1 application.

I was also born overseas, but that too has never been an issue either.

The ATF essentially has washed their hands over the delay, as they don't actually do the background checks. They did add the fact I have very common first and last names may be the cause, but again this is not the first time the FBI has run a background check on me!  Plus, the FBI has my fingerprints and all my PII.  They know who I am.

Two weeks later, I emailed the ATF again, and this was their canned reply...

"Finalizing your application is very important to NFA. Please know that completing NFA status checks for applicants will significantly delay processing efforts. NFA appreciates your understanding so that our staff can focus on processing applications and not researching status checks. ATF receives hundreds of Ask the Expert Inquiries each day, your continued patience is greatly appreciated."

🤬🤬🤬🤬

2 hours ago, brabus said:

Fuck Liberty Safes on principle, but also no matter how I have my guns stored, the gov will get them in a “fuck your house up” style raid. Now the ones that aren’t in the house…good luck fuckers!

They just released another message about the issue on their FB page…this time 3 pages of new policies, etc.  They’re in full damage control right now. Who do they think their customers are?  I wouldn’t recommend anyone buy one their products.  

11 hours ago, brabus said:

Fuck Liberty Safes on principle, but also no matter how I have my guns stored, the gov will get them in a “fuck your house up” style raid. Now the ones that aren’t in the house…good luck fuckers!

Lost them in a tragic boating accident, eh?

51 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Lost them in a tragic boating accident, eh?

And when they gesture at my boat with a questioning look, I’ll say, “well sir, that’s my replacement boat, but I didn’t have money leftover for replacement guns.”

20 minutes ago, brabus said:

And when they gesture at my boat with a questioning look, I’ll say, “well sir, that’s my replacement boat, but I didn’t have money leftover for replacement guns.”

"I had boat insurance, but not gun insurance"

Progressives being progressives…

They care more about keeping parents from knowing if their young children don’t know what pronouns to use vs allowing Americans to exercise their 2nd Amendment rights.

https://www.breitbart.com/2nd-amendment/2023/09/09/new-mexico-gov-michelle-lujan-grishami-ssues-order-suspending-concealed-carry-self-defense/

Worst part is she issued it knowing that the court would toss it.  Politicians who do that need to be held personally financially responsible (or jail time) when the court tosses it.  Put a little of their own skin in the game to stop them from knowingly tramping all over people's rights.

• Like 1

I feel like your F1 literally fell into the crack between some ATF dipshit’s desk and the wall. Maybe just cancel it and start over. I’ve done 3x F1s for SBR and I think the longest was 45 days, with others being 21-30 days. This is crazy yours is taking this long…who’d you piss off!

11 hours ago, brabus said:

I feel like your F1 literally fell into the crack between some ATF dipshit’s desk and the wall. Maybe just cancel it and start over. I’ve done 3x F1s for SBR and I think the longest was 45 days, with others being 21-30 days. This is crazy yours is taking this long…who’d you piss off!

I am beginning to suspect the same, but the ATF claims it's held up at the FBI doing the background check. 

I guess having a DoD security clearance for 40+ years, and already vetted by that organization several times (I've actually visited their HQ and Quantico on official business, as well as their local field office) means nothing, unless they consider that suspicious behavior!   

I wonder if I can submit another one without cancelling the first?  Whichever gets approved first, I'll cancel the other one! 

It’s so nice how the gov can’t talk to other gov, even if it’s the guy in the next office over. I should be able to walk into a store and buy a Carl gustaf with all the vetting I’ve had, but no, I have to wait half a year or more for a damn suppressor. Absolutely illogical and full retard…just like 90% of everything else the gov does.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, M2 said:

I am beginning to suspect the same, but the ATF claims it's held up at the FBI doing the background check. 

I guess having a DoD security clearance for 40+ years, and already vetted by that organization several times (I've actually visited their HQ and Quantico on official business, as well as their local field office) means nothing, unless they consider that suspicious behavior!   

I wonder if I can submit another one without cancelling the first?  Whichever gets approved first, I'll cancel the other one! 

Assuming you are talking about the pistol brace form 1, I don't think that's an option anymore (at least not for free).

I would bet that since you have a common name, your name threw up a red flag in the auto-background check, so it then has to be reviewed by an actual person at the FBI.