Gun Talk

VL-16

Yes, unfortunately $345 is a good price for the LCP Max right now.  I like it; shoots better than most pistols that small and holds more rounds.

As I stated, I'm a fan of the crossbreed holsters.  Similar to brabus, my oldest one is over a decade old and is holding up great.  I've since bought 3-4 others for other guns.

I'm also looking to move my CC pistol sights over to red dots.  There's a reason they're basically the standard on ARs and it is because almost everyone is far faster and more accurate with them than with iron sights.  Only real downside is the added size and battery issues.  Leupold's Deltapoint Micro looks interesting if you go with a Glock or M&P.  Would be nice if they figured out a way to mount the battery under the sight though, sticking out the back looks a little awkward.

I don't have the defender, but I do have another vortex 6 moa red dot and I'm not impressed.  Rather than a single dot, it is actually a ring of about 6-9 dots with a single dot in the middle.  I bought it for an AR pistol and it is only OK.  Assuming this is the same thing in a smaller frame, might be OK for a short range defensive pistol, but I don't know you'd extend your accurate range that much more than some quality after market iron sights.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Guardian said:

Thanks for all the rec’s. I know the next question will prompt a it depends. Asking anyways.

Is there a good go to for conceal carry holsters? Online market or store?

Also what about hand gun mods?

Thanks in advance.

I have several but surprisingly one of the cheapest is my favorite.  The Sticky Holster is lightweight and has a no-slip material the allows easy carry against your skin even when gym wearing shorts.  

Just a friendly reminder to all with AR pistols, IAW ATF Final Rule 2021R-08F you have until the end of this month to register those items as SBRs via the ATF eForms website.   

The process takes about 30-45 minutes to complete, which includes creating an account if you don't already have one; and requires a photograph of the owner holding the firearm in lieu of fingerprints, the addresses of the original manufacturer and local law enforcement official.

Per the ruling, owners are in compliance if they 
submit through eForms system an Application to Make and Register a Firearm, ATF Form 1 (E-Form 1) before May 31, 2023 (Source). 

6 hours ago, M2 said:

requires a photograph of the owner holding the firearm in lieu of fingerprints, the addresses of the original manufacturer and local law enforcement official.

Or just submit fingerprints instead of a possibly incriminating picture. Also for clarity to the uninitiated, you don’t have to alert local CLEO if filing as an individual (but you do if filing as a trust). 

Now get out there and get that free SBR!

3 hours ago, brabus said:

Or just submit fingerprints instead of a possibly incriminating picture. Also for clarity to the uninitiated, you don’t have to alert local CLEO if filing as an individual (but you do if filing as a trust). 

Now get out there and get that free SBR!

The ATF eForms website didn't give the option to submit fingerprints for 2021R-08F Form 1s, just a photo.

It also required the local CLEO information. 

Ask me how I know...😉

36 minutes ago, M2 said:

The ATF eForms website didn't give the option to submit fingerprints for 2021R-08F Form 1s, just a photo.

It also required the local CLEO information. 

Ask me how I know...😉

I did one a couple months ago for this, same process as the other Form 1s I’ve done. Fingerprints submitted. 

Definitely requires CLEO info on the form, I was just highlighting you don’t have to inform CLEO if filing as an individual. 

24 minutes ago, Smokin said:

Also the "incriminating photo" is a close up of the serial number.  Not too incriminating.

except M2 stated “a photo of the owner holding the firearm” - that could definitely be incriminating, and is what I was referring too. Completely agree the only photo required is of the SERNO. 

On 5/4/2023 at 9:13 PM, brabus said:

except M2 stated “a photo of the owner holding the firearm” - that could definitely be incriminating, and is what I was referring too. Completely agree the only photo required is of the SERNO. 

Honestly, to file you have to give them a plethora of information, do you honestly believe the Feds don't know what any of us look like?!?  Most of us have a CAC or retirement ID card, which means we have a photo in DEERS.

As for the claim the government could later come back and charge you with possession of an illegal firearm, anyone who has read the ruling knows that would be a futile effort on their part.

@M2 I don’t disagree, but I also will never give more than the bare min required when dealing with any gov agency or individual. I generally have thought it’d be fairly unlikely they’d prosecute you even with photo evidence you are in possession of an assembled SBR without permission (e.g. felony).  But, I’ve watched this admin put a guy in jail for 14 years because he threw a chair at a cop (translation: political opponent). Soooo, I’d say it’s prudent to give as little as possible. 

If I can tell a shooting story. Guys from the base want to come out and shoot on my place, sure come on out. They show up and ask if I want to shoot. Okay, I grab my Winchester 30-30 off the wall and put some bullets in my pocket, ready to go. These guys have several cases of guns, ammo, perch, filled up the back of my Kubota S&S. I'm like jeeze. Not bragging but(maybe a little bit) I usually out shot them. They were amazed that with a forty year old gun and iron sights I could nail the target. Wish I still had that gun that's in some river somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brabus said:

@M2 I don’t disagree, but I also will never give more than the bare min required when dealing with any gov agency or individual. I generally have thought it’d be fairly unlikely they’d prosecute you even with photo evidence you are in possession of an assembled SBR without permission (e.g. felony).  But, I’ve watched this admin put a guy in jail for 14 years because he threw a chair at a cop (translation: political opponent). Soooo, I’d say it’s prudent to give as little as possible. 

It's a Catch 22, but there's much less risk registering in my opinion.   

Providing a photograph isn't any more damning than providing all the details of the firearm itself in a sworn statement on a government form.  I doubt the "only kidding defense" would work in this case.

I'll accept the extremely slim chance the government will change its mind once again down the road and try to prosecute anyone for doing what it instructed them to do based on a photo they provided to it in the process it demanded.

To me, not registering it brings a much greater chance of possible legal action...

30 minutes ago, M2 said:

To me, not registering it brings a much greater chance of possible legal action...

For sure. I have many NFA items, not a noob at this. I think it’s still important to highlight a pic of only the SERNO is required, no benefit to giving more than that. Simple and only exactly what is asked for/required is the best way to go about these things (same when interacting with any local or fed agency). I only write this stuff for the benefit of the guy who will read this before his initial foray into NFA items. 

Anyone have any personal recommendations for a good scope for an AR-10?  Just got a Springfield Saint, looking for something that can be used close in and then out to around 2-300 yards.

If you’re going with that “short” a distance, I’d go with either a combination standard red dot and magnifier, or leaning more toward not going in houses just a standard 4x optic.

I’m a big fan of Aimpoint and magnifier combos. Little heavier but does either job well, just practice transitioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

Look at LPVOs…1-4x is sufficient, but 1-6x is probably worth it, even if you think you’ll never shoot beyond 300 yds. But to Lawman’s point, if you are “confident” you’re not going to use this inside 75 yds or so, then a fixed power scope is a great idea (can easily install offset sights for closer work later).

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, M2 said:

I just put a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24mm LPVO on a AR-15, PSA had a great deal on them the weekend before last, $355 delivered with mount!  

image.png.8c1438c786180268987c271450cede8e.png

It has BDC references to 600 yards for standard .223/.308 loads...

image.thumb.png.c5eec6ae5212e34e8df24082c61666fc.png

Outdoor Life crowned it the best LPVO for 2023!

https://www.outdoorlife.com/gear/best-lpvo/ 

I’d looked at those this past weekend, they got really good reviews.  Thanks for the recommendation/data.

• Upvote 1

@M2 How bright is the illumination? Been thinking about picking up a PA variant, but the one negative I read is even max illum is not “daylight bright,” however everything else is quite positive, and for $300 seems like a great deal. But for $55 more, I could be swayed to the vortex.

On 5/10/2023 at 9:36 PM, brabus said:

@M2 How bright is the illumination? Been thinking about picking up a PA variant, but the one negative I read is even max illum is not “daylight bright,” however everything else is quite positive, and for $300 seems like a great deal. But for $55 more, I could be swayed to the vortex.

Here's some pics I just took, it's a bit overcast today so not direct sunlight. 

As you can see, it's fairly bright (pic is on the highest setting).  Not as much as the true red dot; but good enough.

Also, keep in mind as the reticle is etched, in bright sunlight you have it to focus on (second pic).  The red dot on LPVOs is mostly for darker targets or conditions.

By the way, I was also looking at the PA ones; but this deal from PSA on the Vortex was just too good to pass up! 

Reticle 2.jpg

Reticle 1.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2023 at 8:15 PM, Smokin said:

Is there anyway to track the Form 1 after submitting it?  I'm hitting the 40 days they advertised and haven't heard anything.

Did you file online?  If so, log in here and go under 'SUBMITTED/IN PROCESS'

https://eforms.atf.gov/

You can also track the average turnaround dates here...

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/current-processing-times

Right now paper Form 1s are averaging 45 days, electronic ones 40...

Remember, if you filed under ATF Final Rule 2021R-08F, you are "in compliance" once you filed so you don't have to worry about the 31 May 2023 deadline!

• Upvote 1