Gun Talk

VL-16

Newest addition to the family, Kimber .45 Gunship Special Edition.

<huge pictures>

Very nice hardware.

I've seen some talk on this forum about the CMP Garands, and I have a few questions for the people who've bought them.

1. How is the rifle for dependability and durability? Is it prone to jamming, etc...

2. What kind of accuracy can you expect from one of these CMP rifles? I know you can pour money into almost anything to make it a match rifle, but how are off the shelf?

3. Ammunition. I know it's a 30-06, but does it require special ammo? I noticed that CMP is sold out of ammo right now. Can I get it anywhere else?

4. I'm curious about the different CMP grades. Rack, field, service, or special grade. I think the service grade is about the level/price I'm interested in. What grade did you get and how satisfied are you with your decision.

1. Haven't had a problem with mine.

2. If the barrel has a good muzzle, and you do your part, it'll put rounds right where you want them.

3. You can fire either M2 Ball or Greek HXP (or handloads that replicate the M2/HXP loading) in an un-modified Garand. Anything else requires an adjustable gas plug - this one seems to be the most popular.

4. If you're buying by mail order, I personally wouldn't go any lower than Service Grade unless you're just buying a parts gun. I went with a Service Grade after spending some quality time on surplusrifleforum, and I am extremely happy with the decision. Money well spent.

An Australian buddy of mine emailed this to me today. Anyone who has spent any length of time in Australia knows there's a struggle with political correctness down there. While it is to be starting to become prevalent many just don't care.

General Peter Cosgrove was Chief of the Australian Defense Forces from '02 to '05 until her retired.

Here is a portion of an Australian Broadcasting Corporation radio interview between a female broadcaster and General Cosgrove who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military Headquarters.

<interview>

Several years ago this same interview was attributed to a Marine General. Snopes it...

OK, it's not in the greatest shape (marked as "good"/60%), but I did get this 1917 Remington Mosin Nagant for $150 which I didn't think was too bad...

dsc08347_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

dsc08348_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

dsc08349_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

dsc08350_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

dsc08351_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

dsc08352_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

dsc08353_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

dsc08354_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

dsc08355_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

dsc08356_jpg_thumbnail1.jpg

I believe it is a Finn but others have suggested it could also be a Balkan or Spanish Civil War piece.

I will pick it up in a few days, but I think it makes a nice addition to the collection. Not so much for shooting, but simply just to have.

I wish it was in better shape, and the numbers don't all match; but for the price it is a nice piece of history!

Cheers! M2

Talk about some strict gun control laws... from our brothers across the pond comes this lovely news story which defies all common sense:

http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/news/Ex-soldier-faces-jail-handing-gun/article-1509082-detail/article.html

Ex-soldier faces jail for handing in gun

A former soldier who handed a discarded shotgun in to police faces at least five years imprisonment for "doing his duty".

Paul Clarke, 27, was found guilty of possessing a firearm at Guildford Crown Court on Tuesday – after finding the gun and handing it personally to police officers on March 20 this year.

The jury took 20 minutes to make its conviction, and Mr Clarke now faces a minimum of five year's imprisonment for handing in the weapon.

In a statement read out in court, Mr Clarke said: "I didn't think for one moment I would be arrested.

"I thought it was my duty to hand it in and get it off the streets."

The court heard how Mr Clarke was on the balcony of his home in Nailsworth Crescent, Merstham, when he spotted a black bin liner at the bottom of his garden.

In his statement, he said: "I took it indoors and inside found a shorn-off shotgun and two cartridges.

"I didn't know what to do, so the next morning I rang the Chief Superintendent, Adrian Harper, and asked if I could pop in and see him.

"At the police station, I took the gun out of the bag and placed it on the table so it was pointing towards the wall."

Mr Clarke was then arrested immediately for possession of a firearm at Reigate police station, and taken to the cells.

Defending, Lionel Blackman told the jury Mr Clarke's garden backs onto a public green field, and his garden wall is significantly lower than his neighbours.

He also showed jurors a leaflet printed by Surrey Police explaining to citizens what they can do at a police station, which included "reporting found firearms".

Quizzing officer Garnett, who arrested Mr Clarke, he asked: "Are you aware of any notice issued by Surrey Police, or any publicity given to, telling citizens that if they find a firearm the only thing they should do is not touch it, report it by telephone, and not take it into a police station?"

To which, Mr Garnett replied: "No, I don't believe so."

Prosecuting, Brian Stalk, explained to the jury that possession of a firearm was a "strict liability" charge – therefore Mr Clarke's allegedly honest intent was irrelevant.

Just by having the gun in his possession he was guilty of the charge, and has no defence in law against it, he added.

But despite this, Mr Blackman urged members of the jury to consider how they would respond if they found a gun.

He said: "This is a very small case with a very big principle.

"You could be walking to a railway station on the way to work and find a firearm in a bin in the park.

"Is it unreasonable to take it to the police station?"

Paul Clarke will be sentenced on December 11.

Judge Christopher Critchlow said: "This is an unusual case, but in law there is no dispute that Mr Clarke has no defence to this charge.

"The intention of anybody possessing a firearm is irrelevant."

Talk about some strict gun control laws... from our brothers across the pond comes this lovely news story which defies all common sense:

http://www.thisissurreytoday.co.uk/news/Ex-soldier-faces-jail-handing-gun/article-1509082-detail/article.html

Common sense is an uncommon virtue.

I just saw a post over on the CMP Forums and it looks like they've secured about 30 million more rounds of Greek M2 Ball for the Garands. Should be available early next year.

Good to know.

Not gonna fuck it up this time...

Well, just got my M1 and its in pretty good shape. I was able to sweet talk CMP to sell me one of their limited number boxes of loose HXP. Now that they're getting a new batch, I'm kind of kicking myself. Much of the ammo they sent looks a little green, especially around the primer. Plus, I only have 1 enbloc clip. After I get a good inspection by a smith, I'm out to the range for some WWII fun.

Out

So I bought one of the Big 5 91/30's for $89. I think I got a pretty good gun. It's a 1931 Tula (Russian) serial 6,### in nearly perfect condition. Haven't fired it yet, but it sure is nice to look at. Lots of interesting cartouches on the stock.

So I bought one of the Big 5 91/30's for $89. I think I got a pretty good gun. It's a 1931 Tula (Russian) serial 6,### in nearly perfect condition. Haven't fired it yet, but it sure is nice to look at. Lots of interesting cartouches on the stock.

Shit, nice score! I've been trying to find an early Tula for the collection. Does it have a round or hexed receiver cover? How's the stock? What does the cartouche look like? If you need help ID'ing the markings on it, try www.7.62x54R.net. Is it counterbored (drop a 7.62x54R down the end of the barrel, if it only drops to the just before the end of the case, and you can see some of the actual bullet, then it hasn't been counterbored. If it drops down below where the casing and bullet meet, it has).

Post pics if you can.

Cheers! M2

Posted from another forum

Smith & Wesson is offering a 40% discount off the MSRP price for all of our

revolvers, pistols and rifles for our active duty and retired servicemen.

Attached you will find the Military Purchase form for your convenience.

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

Helene L. Piquette

Manager, International & Government

Sales Support & Administration

Tel: 413-747-3264

Toll Free: 1-800-331-0852 Ext. 3264

Fax: 413-731-8980

E-mail: hpiquette@smith-wesson.com

Military VIP Form_12 Nov 09.pdf

Shit, nice score! I've been trying to find an early Tula for the collection. Does it have a round or hexed receiver cover? How's the stock? What does the cartouche look like? If you need help ID'ing the markings on it, try www.7.62x54R.net. Is it counterbored (drop a 7.62x54R down the end of the barrel, if it only drops to the just before the end of the case, and you can see some of the actual bullet, then it hasn't been counterbored. If it drops down below where the casing and bullet meet, it has).

Post pics if you can.

Cheers! M2

Once the ammo comes in I'll have to check for counterboring. It has the hexed receiver cover. The on a scale of 1-10, I would rate the stock a 9.5. There is some wear in the shellac on the forward handguard. The whole stock is very smooth and shiny. There are lots of inventory marks on the stock. The most interesting one is a big "Z". It does have the "sniper" mark above the star on the receiver. Trigger pull is very smooth and around 2-3 pounds (estimated).

I'm not too bright and couldn't quite figure out the counterbored thing. Being the visual learner that I am, here's some pics:

Counterbored

6778DCounterbore.jpg

Counterbored on the left

3046counterbore.JPG

Counterbored on the right

2375counterbored.jpg

Last order from AIM and I got lucky and scored a 1936 Tula, not that rare, but my first non-Izzy.

I'm not too bright and couldn't quite figure out the counterbored thing. Being the visual learner that I am, here's some pics:

Last order from AIM and I got lucky and scored a 1936 Tula, not that rare, but my first non-Izzy.

Thanks for the pics. It turns out the rifle is not counterbored. It's nice, clean, and smooth all the way down. Here are some pics.

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

Guest JollyFlight21

I'm looking at picking up an M1A or a SOCOM 16. Are they worth the $$? Anyone in the Vegas area know any good dealers?

I've got an M&P15S. I love it! Super accurate. Now I just want to get a SOCOM 16.

I was looking at a SOCOM 16 at the gun show this morning, I love 'em but I don't have $1800 laying around for one!

So instead I picked up this 1944 Finn Sako M39 for $265!

FinnM391.jpg

FinnM392.jpg

FinnM393.jpg

FinnM394.jpg

FinnM395.jpg

FinnM396.jpg

FinnM397.jpg

The 'AZF' marking on the receiver indicates the original rifle was captured by Austro-Hungarian forces during WWI (most likely in 1915). The Finns eventually got their hands on it (it may have been one of the 4600 obtained from the Hungarians in 1936) and later rebuilt to M39 specs in 1944, most likely for use (ironically) against the Russian during WWII. The stock is post-war, and the magazine is from Izhevsk but does not match the rest of the rifle. The barrel is not in the greatest shape, it has a little pitting to it; but the Finn barrels are so solid that it probably still shoots better than a stock 91/30 or even a M44. I am happy to add it to my collection, I almost snagged a Westinghouse-build 91 that a guy had but since I recently got the Remington it serves as my US-built Mosin representative.

Cheers! M2

I'm looking at picking up an M1A or a SOCOM 16. Are they worth the $$? Anyone in the Vegas area know any good dealers?

I own an Springfield Armory M1A standard w/ walnut stock. It's a great rifle, and I've had no problems with it. They're pricey and ammo is also expensive, even milsurp ammo. I guess it depends on how much shooting you're going to do with it.