Gun Talk

VL-16

Quick question, does anyone have any info on a shooting range near Laughlin? I've heard rumors of a ranch just outside of Del Rio but have yet to be able to locate this mythical place. I've got a new toy that needs sighting in so I can fill my freezer with venison soon.

Look into the Fort Clark gun club out of Bracketville. Something like $50/yr and you can use the range whenever you want. It's a decent range out to 475yrds or so, and it's where I shot when I was at pilot training.

I did pick it up at my local Big 5. Next week, starting the 11th, they wil be having a sale on 91/30s for $99 each! Too bad I am still saving for that CMP M1 Garand I keep talking about.

So, I now have a love/ hate relationship with cosmoline. I love that it kept my rifle in such good shape, bate it because that shit is a PITA to get off. I was able to clean the accessories with hot water and dish soap and while it worked really well, I am wary of using that on my rifle. I am thinking carb cleaner as it is great at removing lube (sts) and gun grease. Any other ideas.

Edited by Vandal

I did pick it up at my local Big 5. Next week, starting the 11th, they wil be having a sale on 91/30s for $99 each! Too bad I am still saving for that CMP M1 Garand I keep talking about.

So, I now have a love/ hate relationship with cosmoline. I love that it kept my rifle in such good shape, bate it because that shit is a PITA to get off. I was able to clean the accessories with hot water and dish soap and while it worked really well, I am wary of using that on my rifle. I am thinking carb cleaner as it is great at removing lube (sts) and gun grease. Any other ideas.

I just used Hoppe's No. 9 on the metal parts and a paper towel mixed with mild dish soap and water to get it off the wood on my SKS. It worked pretty well, but the wood attached to the gas tube did sweat some cosmoline the first time I shot it.

does anyone here CCW? i'm gonna take the CCW class in a couple weeks but i also want to do some real CCW training once i get to tinker or somewhere in nearby texas. anyone have any suggestions?

Are you eligible for a Texas Concealed Handgun License? If so, all the info you'll need can be found here. For Oklahoma, see here.

Vandal, spray Windex down that M44 after shooting it, then clean it with whatever you normally use (Hoppe's #9, . The ammonia in Windex removes a lot of the corrosive powder in the barrel, but don't let it stay in there too long as ammonia is also corrosive.

As for removing Cosmoline, there are a lot of recommendations on how to remove it on the SKSBoards.com or 7.62x54R.net; to include boiling some of the parts. One of my SKS needs some work, when it heats up I can smell the Cosmoline burning off...

Cheers! M2

There is a gun range at XL just north of the county prison. It's $95/yr, but closer than Bracketville. It's not too bad, the longest rifle range is 200 yds though I think. PM me and I can give you the owner's information if you'd like to give him a call. He's an AF retiree.

i've dealt with AIM on many occasions. They're good people, buy with confidence

Concur, so far I've had nothing but good experiences with them; as have numerous people I know. They are actually one of the best online sellers out there, so you are cleared hot! Get some!

Also, I just got my C&R paperwork yesterday, so once that is processed I can have some firearms sent to my house instead of my FFL... :rock:

Now if you could only carry it on the bird.

Bought a Sig P238 from a local chain for ~470 out the door. Waiting for my shipment of .380 to show up from Cabelas. Actually found a better deal today from Bass Pro for Remington FMJs using their $20 off $100 website.

I'm not excited about carrying a cocked, safetied SAO, but an accidental discharge would require two mistakes vs. one large mistake on a non-safety DAO. Any experience around here with Kahr products, particularly P380s?

If you are waiting for .380 from Cabela's, be prepared for a long wait! Back when I had my P3AT, I ordered some ammo from them and after many months, they finally canceled the order. It was one of the reasons I traded that pistol for a Taurus PT111, 9mm can be found at Walmart these days...

Grouping at 100 yards. No wonder America won WWII!

post-7065-12579549375_thumb.jpg

Mac: How's your shooting, Thorny?

Ramathorne: Good. I've been dead on all morning.

[He holds up a target with a tight group in the chest. Mac points to a stray bullet hole.]

Ramathorne: Who, that little guy? I wouldn't worry about that little guy.

Ginger

Get some while you can!

AIM Surplus .380 Ammo

Cheers! M2

Aaaaand....done.

500 rounds of Winchester white box for a few bucks cheaper than the Russian poly-coated steel stuff I ordered from Cabela's. I didn't get a free dry box out of the deal like Cabela's, but didn't really need it anyway. Cabela's strategy of putting stores in every state is biting them in the ass with mail-order taxes.

As for Bass Pro - they're a shell game. They say it's available, but I checked the "do not backorder" box. Then after I finished my order, I got an email saying that they were out of supply and my order was cancelled.

LarueTactical OSR on order!

P3287538.jpg

You, sir, have too much money.

What's that thing tribbing with the scope? Night vision device?

I stopped by Big 5 today to look at the 91/30's on Vet's day sale for $99. They weren't in stock yet (truck coming later today sts). I did, however, notice an M-1 Garand sitting on the rack. It was pretty beat up and they wanted $800 for it. I must admit though, it had a great feel and I love historic weapons. I've seen some talk on this forum about the CMP Garands, and I have a few questions for the people who've bought them.

1. How is the rifle for dependability and durability? Is it prone to jamming, etc...

2. What kind of accuracy can you expect from one of these CMP rifles? I know you can pour money into almost anything to make it a match rifle, but how are off the shelf?

3. Ammunition. I know it's a 30-06, but does it require special ammo? I noticed that CMP is sold out of ammo right now. Can I get it anywhere else?

4. I'm curious about the different CMP grades. Rack, field, service, or special grade. I think the service grade is about the level/price I'm interested in. What grade did you get and how satisfied are you with your decision.

Thanks in advance to those in the know.

1. My rifle is amazing. Has not jammed at all.

2. I got a field grade and with the exception of those two "stray" shots it gave a nice 4 inch grouping at 100 yards. I'm not even that good of a shot (at least according to the AF).

3. Unless you get a adjustable gas plug, commercial ammo will not work. Its too much powder and will damage the Op-rod. Hornady and Federal are the only two commercial manufacturers that make the M2 ball ammo that i know of.

4. I got a field grade because they did not have any service grades out when i went to the south store. They let me use one of their muzzle gauges and i found a diamond in the rough that was a 1. That particular rifle also had a great finish. The rack grades are usually ones that are pretty beat up, have a lot of wear and tear on them, and are usually bought for parts. The field grades like mine are in better shape but still show signs of use. The service grades have a lot less wear and have a new stock and handguard. The SG specials are even better and I believe are rebuilt.

If you are active duty then your mil id counts for all of the club and other affiliations needed. Although I picked it out at the store (which i would highly recommend if you can), i had it shipped to me because i saved about 50 dollars on tax. Get one, you won't be disappointed.

An Australian buddy of mine emailed this to me today. Anyone who has spent any length of time in Australia knows there's a struggle with political correctness down there. While it is to be starting to become prevalent many just don't care.

General Peter Cosgrove was Chief of the Australian Defense Forces from '02 to '05 until her retired.

Here is a portion of an Australian Broadcasting Corporation radio interview between a female broadcaster and General Cosgrove who was about to sponsor a Boy Scout Troop visiting his military Headquarters.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:

So, General Cosgrove, what things are you going to teach these young boys when they visit your base?

GENERAL COSGROVE:

We're going to teach them climbing, canoeing, archery and shooting.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:

Shooting! That's a bit irresponsible, isn't it?

GENERAL COSGROVE:

I don't see why, they'll be properly supervised on the rifle range.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:

Don't you admit that this is a terribly dangerous activity to be teaching children?

GENERAL COSGROVE:

I don't see how. We will be teaching them proper rifle discipline before they even touch a firearm.

FEMALE INTERVIEWER:

But you're equipping them to become violent killers.

GENERAL COSGROVE:

Well, Ma'am, you're equipped to be a prostitute, but you're not one... are you?

The radio cast went silent for 46 seconds and when it returned, the interview was over.

1. The Garand is a time tested action that basically made its way into the M14 as well. I have never had an issue with any of my Garands jamming.

2. I have had excellent luck with CMP garand accuracy. The important step, which was mentioned by Breckey, is the Bore Erosion Gauge. I picked up a second hand CMP gun manufactured in '44 with a stock that was replaced later in life. It is quite easy to find the correct parts to make your Garand "investment" quality. ie correct sights, op rod, wood, etc. GI wood is readily available(STS) and will require a degree in learning which cartouches go with what year ranges. PM with questions.

3. Military Ball is available at gun shows everywhere. As Breckey said be careful what you shoot, or have a "shooter" op-rod. (the later op-rod was reinforced.)

4.This is a crap shoot. Unless you can visit, like Breckey did, it is unnerving to not know what you are getting.

Guest Spectre514

Newest addition to the family, Kimber .45 Gunship Special Edition.

ClearedHot,

Very, very nice Kimber.

Edited by Spectre514