SOS/ACSC information

Guest rumblefish_2

I am one of the unlucky ones who got to do both ASBC and SOS-C before the extended SOS-R and let's just say I am super excited to repeat the best two weeks of ASBC again.

You and every other current Captain.

Edited by HU&W

I think this needs to be seen before anyone goes to SOS:

Apparently we had too many people with out enough to do in 1959...

Serious question that made me come out of lurker status: wise or unwise to take graduate courses while at SOS? I've read the previous posts saying golf and 6 hour days, but I am looking for something a bit more recent. Also, how is the new 8 week course now that beta is over? I am one of the unlucky ones who got to do both ASBC and SOS-C before the extended SOS-R and let's just say I am super excited to repeat the best two weeks of ASBC again. I sure hope it is BT3.

I did the eight week class, and you will have PLENTY of time for a Master's class. I was taking three, and I drank copiously, and I slept until noon on the weekends.

Anyone catch the baton twirler at 22:05?

Haha, I saw that, too. That's one for the TIB heritage room. Thank goodness they don't make us do a graduation parade these days; I'd hate to imagine what 500 disgruntled captains doing a pass in review would look like.

I no bullshit saw flights doing formation runs (with guidon) on their own time, but no, they don't have any "official" drill stuff.

I saw a fist fight break out during ASBC between one flights' uber moto LT trying to organize flight PT at 0500 (!) 4 days a week and an Academy dude who was waging a jihad on his liver. Good times at Air University.

• Upvote 1

I was in the 60th flight out of 60, half the time we just forgot the guidon...

Sounds like someone needs to review their core values! If you don't try hard in SOS how the hell can we expect you to care about the mission?!

Ha - anyway, I think my flight was second to last. It was a blast. Lots of trips to Florida, Birmingham, and time spent downtown...

Seriously, if I get someone who even hints at doing anything pseudo air forcey like run around with a guideon on our off time, I may kill them, myself, or both! The only Air Force thing we should ever do after class is go the bar and exchange war stories. Is it too much to ask to have people in my flight who aren't ass-douches and have common sense? Don't answer that...

exchange war stories with shoe clerks with bronze stars....

FIFY

I saw a fist fight break out during ASBC between one flights' uber moto LT trying to organize flight PT at 0500 (!) 4 days a week and an Academy dude who was waging a jihad on his liver. Good times at Air University.

I'm more thankful everyday I never had to attend that AD extension of ROTC.

Seriously, if I get someone who even hints at doing anything pseudo air forcey like run around with a guideon on our off time, I may kill them, myself, or both! The only Air Force thing we should ever do after class is go the bar and exchange war stories. Is it too much to ask to have people in my flight who aren't ass-douches and have common sense? Don't answer that...

Fortunately most flights were pretty decent, and most of them ostracized the douche bags quickly. Just hope you don't have too many fighter pilots in your flight, unless you like practicing dodgeball and dealing with douchery

• Upvote 1

I hope someone gave this Academy dude an Achievement medal or something for having his priorities straight at such a young age.

• Upvote 1

We did some group running in the mornings, when the SOS cadre had it scheduled. We never took the guidon.

My flight wasn't even filled with douches, and we were the top flight in our student squadron. We did a lot of flight bonding over alcohol, and we never got ridiculous with the motivational run-type stuff...most of the time we played basketball or football as our "PT activity" after class.

Bottom line: you don't have to be a douchnozzle to do well, you just have to have some motivation to crush the hopes and dreams of the douchenozzles in the other flights.

Edit: WASN'T. My flight WASN'T filled with douches.

Edited by pawnman

Just to confirm all this new correspondence stuff is still 6 months out from O3 pin on right? Or is it from selection for in-res?

Bunch of the O2's I commissioned with are buzzing up a storm to get started on it.

I think this needs to be seen before anyone goes to SOS:

Apparently we had too many people with out enough to do in 1959...

Serious question that made me come out of lurker status: wise or unwise to take graduate courses while at SOS? I've read the previous posts saying golf and 6 hour days, but I am looking for something a bit more recent. Also, how is the new 8 week course now that beta is over? I am one of the unlucky ones who got to do both ASBC and SOS-C before the extended SOS-R and let's just say I am super excited to repeat the best two weeks of ASBC again. I sure hope it is BT3.

I also attended the last class. You have plenty of time to work on your degree. We partied hard while I was there. It was animal house 24/7. Good times!

Just to confirm all this new correspondence stuff is still 6 months out from O3 pin on right? Or is it from selection for in-res?

Bunch of the O2's I commissioned with are buzzing up a storm to get started on it.

Not quite sure what you're asking, but you are eligible to enroll in Course 20 (SOS by correspondence) as soon as you are selected for promotion to Captain (so everyone who got notified on this most recent board could enroll right now). They have yet to roll out the new course so you can still enroll in the old one...latest guesstimate I heard was sometime before the end of the year for the switchover, so if you want to get in on the old course now is the time.